Garlic Knots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And if you let them over-rise a bit more, they get all fluffy and spongy and just soak up all the good garlic mixture. I always start with a really soft/sticky pizza dough and then let them rise up to 30-40 minutes, just not to the point where the yeast starts to die/de-activate.

Last time I made them was for one of GDs birthday lunch. After we ate, SIL went in and got the bowl I used to toss the rolls in the garlic mixture, brought it to the table and proceeded to pig out on the rest of the rolls, tearing them apart, putting them in the bowl and letting them soak up the garlicky goodness before eating them. I think the GDs and my DD got a little ticked at him since they didn't get to have leftovers.

Last edited:
How about adding some garlic powder to the flour to infuse the dough with garlic flavor as well.

Ok. I see what you are saying. You do have to be careful on how you expose garlic to heat. :angel:

Yes, but this dish is designed to be dressed after baking.

Ah, but then there was Mary's on NW 7th Ave, around 125th St., that had the best garlic sticks. Almost forgot about Pasquales in Hialeah.

I grew up 2 miles from Mary's and my Dad took us there for dinner many a Friday night. BTW, it was not near 125th street. It was 7th Ave NW and 140th st. Across from the flea market that was formerly a skating rink.
Do you know "Mario The Baker"?

I believe S&P added the garlic mixture after the knots were out of the oven.
Personally, a generous sprinkle of finely grated Parmiggiano would grace the top of those knots after the garlic mixture!:yum: No need for salt.

Your memory is failing you. It was the coarse salt that made Mary's garlic sticks the very best I have ever had. Heavy, oily, garlicky and salty.
In fact I belong to a Facebook page about "Growing up in N. Miami" and we always debate Mario's, Mary's, Gigi's, Bottle Cap Inn and others in the area.

How about adding some garlic powder to the flour to infuse the dough with garlic flavor as well.

I would not do it. The key is a perfect baked knot, roll or stick, slathered in the garlic sauce and usually sprinkled with salt.
IMO adding garlic powder to the dough would institutionalize the dish. :(

Addie, you could brush them with olive oil or butter before baking. The warm garlic mixture should be added after baking, graded cheese can be added to if you wish.

I like the idea of olive oil. Would go well with the garlic. I would heat the oil to warm and infuse the fresh garlic in it. Then brush on the finished knots. Thanks. :angel:

I'm waiting to see these baked in a CI skillet! I would add some chopped chives to the dough and possibly garlic infused EVOO in the dough...

I'm waiting to see these baked in a CI skillet! I would add some chopped chives to the dough and possibly garlic infused EVOO in the dough...

What difference would the skillet make? If I get around to making them, I'll probably do the last rise on parchment, then put that directly on my preheated baking stone, since that's where I cook most of my bread and all of my pizza.

Last edited:
I like the idea of olive oil. Would go well with the garlic. I would heat the oil to warm and infuse the fresh garlic in it. Then brush on the finished knots. Thanks. :angel:

While I love good olive oil, its not necessary for garlic knots. Neither is butter. I am fairly certain the best rolls, sticks and knots I have had and adore are not basted in olive oil. Probably some kind of vegetable oil.
Yes, I agree. When I say raw garlic, I do not mean cold garlic. My point is the garlic must not be cooked or browned at all in the oily mixture.
Don't forget the coarse salt.

Please understand I am going from experience and not by "what would work and what will not work". I have been trying to perfect "Mary's" garlic sticks for 40 years. I'm very close accept for the actual dough. I have the mixture down pat and I realized after some time, they needed the salt added after they were dressed. This was the awaking for me.

Please explain.

I know of no restaurant that adds any garlic, or anything to the dough. Thats why I don't do it.
This dish is achieved by baking good rolls first and foremost. The addition of garlic powder or frankly garlic to the uncooked dough would change the dish completely. It might be good. But would not be traditional. Not the way I would want it and not the way I know them. They might even taste like school cafeteria rolls. That's where the word "institutionalized came from.

For me, the oily garlic mixture must be used after the rolls are removed from the oven. Then sprinkled with salt and the optional parsley.
No one used parsley in any restaurant (restaurants listed above) that made the very best garlic rolls, sticks and knots.
Not not the ones I think enough of, to try and copy.
Hope this makes sense.

Last edited:
I know of no restaurant that adds any garlic, or anything to the dough. Thats why I don't do it.
This dish is achieved by baking good rolls first and foremost. The addition of garlic powder or frankly garlic to the uncooked dough would change the dish completely. It might be good. But would not be traditional. Not the way I would want it and not the way I know them. They might even taste like school cafeteria rolls. That's where the word "institutionalized came from.

My first thought on reading this comment was that you were institutionalizing the dish by insisting that it be just like a restaurant dish ;) :LOL:

...I know of no restaurant that adds any garlic, or anything to the dough. Thats why I don't do it.

This dish is achieved by baking good rolls first and foremost. The addition of garlic powder or frankly garlic to the uncooked dough would change the dish completely. It might be good. But would not be traditional. Not the way I would want it and not the way I know them. They might even taste like school cafeteria rolls. That's where the word "institutionalized came from...

Thank you for responding.

Your comment has me puzzled. You go from "I know of no restaurant that adds any garlic, or anything to the dough. Thats why I don't do it."

then to, "It might be good. But would not be traditional."

Then to, "They might even taste like school cafeteria rolls."

Although I know of no restaurant that does it, I add onion powder and toasted onion flakes to the dough when I make onion bagels. I was interested in a richly onion-flavored bagel. Though it may not be traditional, it's delicious.

School cafeterias... a traditional source of innovative, non-standard recipes.

...Please understand I am going from experience and not by "what would work and what will not work"....I know of no restaurant that adds any garlic, or anything to the dough. Thats why I don't do it...It might be good. But would not be traditional. Not the way I would want it and not the way I know them...
With no malice intended, WHY does it always have to be "your way" or "the way it was done here"? If someone tries something different from a recipe as written (wonderful and easy, S&P) or different from the way a particular restaurant makes it, or the way you think it should be made, and they like the end product, why should they be discouraged from trying it a different way? If it ends up tasting completely :sick:, at least it's a lesson learned and, hopefully, shared. Just my 2 cents worth - or, maybe 3. ;)

"...School cafeterias... a traditional source of innovative, non-standard recipes."

Agree. I've eaten in many school cafeterias, and often times the food has been great.

What difference would the skillet make? If I get around to making them, I'll probably do the last rise on parchment, then put that directly on my preheated baking stone, since that's where I cook most of my bread and all of my pizza.

I wouldn't bake them in a skillet. They would stick together during the second rise, which would ruin the knots, and they wouldn't get that yummy crust :yum:

Now I want to make pizza dough and add garlic powder to it! :LOL:

Dry mustard is a nice addition to the flour when making a sandwich bread dough...dry Italian herbs when making pizza dough. I am thinking of those lovely CI biscuits that ... powerplant makes?

Dry mustard is a nice addition to the flour when making a sandwich bread dough...dry Italian herbs when making pizza dough. I am thinking of those lovely CI biscuits that ... powerplant makes?
Are these the ones you mean? Salt and pepper posted them. http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f153/cast-iron-rolls-89450.html#post1355551

Jack Astors (restaurant) serves something like that drenched in garlic butter. They are so good I pig out on them even though they are made with white flour.

I am not fond of bread products. But I do love garlic. So if I can enhance a bread product with a flavor I do like, then why not? While I may have had in a restaurant and enjoyed the product to some degree, why shouldn't I make it to my liking?

I made clam chowder Thursday. I wanted a bread product to dip in the broth. Having some frozen dough in the fridge, I took it out and made the garlic knots. But I added some garlic powder to the dough and kneaded it in really good. When they came out of the oven, I brushed them with melted butter and sprinkled course sea salt on them. I had the flavor I was looking for and it made for a great dipping product. The only difference from the original recipe was that I placed the garlic flavor inside the whole product, instead of just on top. Same product, just done differently. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom