Garlic Knots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salt and pepper

Executive Chef
Easy and oh so good!

img_1420673_0_7455852eedaf2e773acd032972e3ef78.jpg

Oh, those look good! I'll be watching for the recipe, too.

So many good sounding things to make here....my 'to try' folder is getting bigger. :chef::yum:

Just start with a basic pizza dough and roll it out and cut into ribbons about 6"-8" long. Tie into a knot and bake @ 375 till browned. Mince 4-5 cloves of garlic with some fresh chopped basil and add to a sauce pan with about 3 TBSP butter, heat till warm and spread over knots.

Just start with a basic pizza dough and roll it out and cut into ribbons about 6"-8" long. Tie into a knot and bake @ 375 till browned. Mince 4-5 cloves of garlic with some fresh chopped basil and add to a sauce pan with about 3 TBSP butter, heat till warm and spread over knots.

Would the flavor be the same if you brushed the garlic mixture over the strips before you tied them into a knot as well as on top of the knots? :angel:

Would the flavor be the same if you brushed the garlic mixture over the strips before you tied them into a knot as well as on top of the knots? :angel:

I doubt it, you would end up with burnt, bitter garlic.:(

I doubt it, you would end up with burnt, bitter garlic.:(

I agree Craig. Using the butter mixture before baking would ruin them in my opinion.
Its the fresh raw garlic, the butter, or oil, or both and most importantly coarse salt IMO. I don't like the idea of the basil either. Parsley instead!

When I was in Miami, there was a place called "Mario The Baker" in North Miami near N.Miami Sr. High school that was famous for their garlic knots.
I understand they now have a restaurant in your neck of the woods. Davie?
They baked the knots plain. Then with a basket, submerged them into the oil and garlic mixture. Served pipping hot.

I agree Craig. Using the butter mixture before baking would ruin them in my opinion.
Its the fresh raw garlic, the butter, or oil, or both and most importantly coarse salt IMO. I don't like the idea of the basil either. Parsley instead!

When I was in Miami, there was a place called "Mario The Baker" in North Miami near N.Miami Sr. High school that was famous for their garlic knots.
They baked the knots plain. Then with a basket, submerged them into the oil and garlic mixture. Served pipping hot.

Agree. In the photo, the garlic butter mixture is clearly applied after baking. So simple and so delicious sounding. :yum:

Ah, but then there was Mary's on NW 7th Ave, around 125th St., that had the best garlic sticks. Almost forgot about Pasquales in Hialeah.

Ok. I see what you are saying. You do have to be careful on how you expose garlic to heat. :angel:

I believe S&P added the garlic mixture after the knots were out of the oven.
Personally, a generous sprinkle of finely grated Parmiggiano would grace the top of those knots after the garlic mixture!:yum: No need for salt.

Last edited:

Addie, you could brush them with olive oil or butter before baking. The warm garlic mixture should be added after baking, graded cheese can be added to if you wish.

Thank you, Joey!

In one sitting, with a pizza pan full of those, I'd gain back the 20 pounds I just finished losing!

Oh no! I forgot to add: After tying the dough into knots, cover and let rise another 20 minutes before baking. Sorry I wasn't thinking!

Back
Top Bottom