"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pizza & Focaccia

Old 01-21-2012, 04:31 PM   #11
Master Chef

I had this pizza when I first hit San Diego, by a company called Square Pan Pizza. It had a thick, chewy, yeasty crust that was amazing to me at the time. In my home town, we had three pizza places, Rosini's, Fabrocini's, and King's pizza. The first two made a thin, cracker crust pizza, with the usual toppings. The dough was made on site, by the owners. King's pizza made a thicker crust, but more of the Neapolitan style. What they were famous for was taking that pizza, and turning it into a pizza pastie, one of the finest pizza creations ever made.

So, my pizza experiences were somewhat limited. When I had that thick-crust pizza, it was a brand new pizza experience for me, and I love it at first bite. I'm still in love with that kind of crust, though it's no longer my absolute favorite anymore. I just wish I could make one like it. Mine come out with a great outer crust, but somewhat uncooked under the toppings. I made a neapolitan crust last night that came out pretty good. But as usual, it was topping heavy. More isn't always better. It wasn't bad. It just wasn't great. Someday, I'll learn to make pizza that's as good as my egg rolls.

But as per this thread, the op's pizza crust looks top notch, great job. Now, come on over to my house and teach me how to do it.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:19 PM   #12
Cook

Giordanos is my favorite stuffed pizza. Malnatis is my fav deep dish. I love a giant 18in. new york slice as well. Thin crust is good to but i hate the cracker crust kind with the stiff cheese. If any of u guys are pizza fanatics go check out the forums at pizzamaking.com.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Both those pizza's look great. Vive la différence!. I make both and for deep dish, I just use the same crust and put it in a round cake pan. I have also used regular pie plates.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:29 PM   #14
Cook

Giordanos pie

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-759069145.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	12884
Old 01-21-2012, 10:46 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

i like thin, not paper thin though. but please no whole wheat, even if it is better for me.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:47 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
i like thin, not paper thin though. but please no whole wheat, even if it is better for me.
Pizza is one of those foods that shouldn't be healthy for you to eat. The cheese should have looong strings when you pick up a slice off the tray. You fight with everyone else to get as much cheese as you can. Onions, mushrooms, garlic and anything else you want on them should be semi-fried in lots of olive oil And don't drain them on anything. Just pile it on the top of the pizza with the pepperoni and cheese. I want to see pools of olive oil on the top under the cheese. I don't want to see what is underneath the cheese. There should be so much cheese, that the company is going to go broke buying mozzarella cheese. And definitely thin crust with a little bit of burn and corn meal on the bottom.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:02 AM   #17
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
By the time I am on my third slice, I am eating just the topping and leaving the crust behind.
You can get to the third piece slice of Giordano's? Pretty impressive...
Old 01-22-2012, 01:18 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
You can get to the third piece slice of Giordano's? Pretty impressive...
Only if it is thin crust. And I have to have not eaten for a couple of days. I have this crazy digital scale. You step on it to check you weight. If you don't like what it says, move it to another part of the floor and it shows you ten pounds lighter. I love it! Instant weight loss program.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:34 AM   #19
Cook

Funny, i always thought that the crust from giordanos set them aside from all the other places. Its that good!
Old 01-22-2012, 04:33 PM   #20
Master Chef

OK. I hear what all of you are saying. And all pizza is good. Some are just plain amazing. There are great thin crust, thick crust, Neapolitan, Chicago style, Sicilian style, etc. But unless you come to Sault Ste. Marie, MI, and try the pizza pasty served up at UpperCrust pizza, you are missing a unique and amazing pizza. You just have to try and make some for yourself. Take your favorite pizza crust, sauce, and toppings. Build your pizza. Now, before you bake it, fold it and press the edges together to form a half circle. Now bake it, let it cool just enough to handle. Pick that baby up with both hands and eat it. The cheese is so gooey, and every bite is intense, juicy beyond belief (make sure you have good napkins available), and just a bite of pizza heaven.

The pizza pasty is a pizza lovers holy grail, IMHO of course. I've lived in many states, and eaten pizza from both coasts, and Chicago. For me, there just isn't a better pizza made, period. And you can get it with your favorite toppings, all steamy and good. It should be on "The Best Food I Ever Ate". It's that good.

If your ever up in the Eastern U.P., you've got to try it. It does for pizza what grilling does for a PBJ.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crust