"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pizza & Focaccia

Old 01-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #41
Executive Chef

Looks good! I hope I'll soon have an oven suitable for making pizza. I'm looking forward to trying your recipe!

Old 01-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #42
Cook

I am just using standard kitchen aid oven and baking at 500. I let the stone warm up for one hour though first otherwise the crust want cook right. What type of oven are you getting?

Old 01-23-2012, 12:40 PM   #43
Executive Chef

I'm living in temporary quarters with minimal cooking facilities while I'm house hunting. Until I buy a house I'm stuck with a microwave, small stove and an oven not much better than a toaster oven, with very poor temperature control. My cooking adventures are currently restricted mostly to heat 'n eat. Pizza is out of the question, sorry to say.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #44
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
I'm living in temporary quarters with minimal cooking facilities while I'm house hunting. Until I buy a house I'm stuck with a microwave, small stove and an oven not much better than a toaster oven, with very poor temperature control. My cooking adventures are currently restricted mostly to heat 'n eat. Pizza is out of the question, sorry to say.

If you have friends in the area you might offer to let them host a pizza party... and then you can use their oven to make your pizzas. You will have to make extra for the hosts.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:53 PM   #45
Executive Chef

My closest friend doesn't cook. He uses his kitchen cabinets (and counters) to store things like computer supplies. I'd have to bring utensils, spices, everything--too much work! I don't feel comfortable borrowing kitchens from my other friends and acquaintances. I'll just have to wait until I have my own again.

It's so strange to look in somebody's refrigerator and see nothing but perhaps some mustard and ketchup and a couple six packs of soft drinks. Nothing but ice cubes in the freezer. You just know even without asking that the person doesn't cook.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #46
Cook

How about a grill?
Old 01-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #47
Executive Chef

I'm sorry to take things off topic here. I have minimal facilities. I'm stuck on the sidelines until I resolve my housing situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nestlund View Post
I am just using standard kitchen aid oven and baking at 500.
That's pretty much what I did at my old house, turned the oven to 500, but I cooked my pizza right on an oven rack, with a cookie sheet on the next rack below to catch drippings. I would pre-cook the crust for a short time, then quickly add the sauce, cheese and toppings, then back in the oven until it was done.

It may sound laughable but I made some pretty good pizza that way, or at least my pizza came out the way I liked it.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:25 PM   #48
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
I'm sorry to take things off topic here. I have minimal facilities. I'm stuck on the sidelines until I resolve my housing situation.

That's pretty much what I did at my old house, turned the oven to 500, but I cooked my pizza right on an oven rack, with a cookie sheet on the next rack below to catch drippings. I would pre-cook the crust for a short time, then quickly add the sauce, cheese and toppings, then back in the oven until it was done.

It may sound laughable but I made some pretty good pizza that way, or at least my pizza came out the way I liked it.
I received for Christmas, a convection/toaster oven. The thing cooks pizza in 7 to 8 minutes, set at 450' F., and takes up a reasonable amount of space on my counter. Such a purchase might just fit your needs as well.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:02 PM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Addie, Chicago also has thin, crispy crust pizza.

Don't you like Santarpio's?
That's the one I am talking about. We only eat their pizza. That is the dirtiest, greasyest barroom you will ever see. But their pizza is to die for. Sometimes I wonder how they stay open. I think the health inspector is bribed with a pizza.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:57 PM   #50
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Nestlund, your pizza looks fabulous! Save me a slice.

Addie, on an earlier post you claimed you weren't a food snob. With this statement and the "what don't you want to see on your plate?" thread I'm beginning to think that was a complete fabrication.

I find that most people who say they don't like Chicago deep dish have never had a good one. Their comparing it to something they've seen at Pizza Hut or Domino's. Me, I love 'em. A good deep dish stuffed pizza is like a real meal. Giordano's on Rush Street used to have the best, but it's been some 30 years since I lived there and I just can't put away the pizza as well as I used to.
I'm not sure that it is even fair to compare a thin crust pizza with a deep dish pizza. For my money they are two totally different creations each with it's own charm. I love a great thin crust, all crusty on the bottom and full of big yeast bubbles on top. But a deep dish, well, yes, only one slice makes a meat and it's all meaty and rich tasting. I guess this is just a situation where we have to choose our weapons.

Tags
crust