Great New York/Neopolitan crust

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greg, I forgot to include the type of animal the water buffalo is. It is the Asian buffalo and are the kind you see plowing rice patties, farm lands and other places that man needs help in providing food for his family. They have been domesticated for thousands of years, thus they are very gentle.

Actually that wasn't my question. I know they're different animals, as I pointed out. And I've seen plenty of National Geographic and PBS nature programs on water buffaloes.

My question was whether it was crazy to think of making cheese from American "buffaloes." I'll accept your answer as yes, it's impractical because you can't milk them due to their nature. :)

Last edited:
Actually that wasn't my question. I know they're different animals, as I pointed out. And I've seen plenty of National Geographic and PBS nature programs on water buffaloes.

My question was whether it was crazy to think of making cheese from American "buffaloes." I'll accept your answer as yes, it's impractical because you can't milk them due to their nature. :)

You can't even round them up for slaughter without double the men needed. The bulls specially love to charge. And watch out for the females that have a calf. It is as if they know where they are headed. :ohmy:

Can they make buffalo Mozzarella from our American "buffalo" or is that just a crazy idea?
From BisonCentral.com:

Any product labeled as buffalo milk, or buffalo cheese is produced from the milk of water buffalo. Water buffalo are a separate species, and are not related to bison, even though American bison are commonly known as buffalo. Bison are not milked commercially for a couple of reasons. First, the teats on female bison are very small. Also, bison are undomesticated animals, and the females do not adapt well to the type of handling necessary in a milking operation.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom