"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pizza & Focaccia

Old 01-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #61
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Pizza is one of those foods that shouldn't be healthy for you to eat. The cheese should have looong strings when you pick up a slice off the tray. You fight with everyone else to get as much cheese as you can. Onions, mushrooms, garlic and anything else you want on them should be semi-fried in lots of olive oil And don't drain them on anything. Just pile it on the top of the pizza with the pepperoni and cheese. I want to see pools of olive oil on the top under the cheese. I don't want to see what is underneath the cheese. There should be so much cheese, that the company is going to go broke buying mozzarella cheese. And definitely thin crust with a little bit of burn and corn meal on the bottom.
IMO, you just described the perfect pizza! That made my mouth water.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:31 PM   #62
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Pizza is one of those foods that shouldn't be healthy for you to eat. The cheese should have looong strings when you pick up a slice off the tray. You fight with everyone else to get as much cheese as you can. Onions, mushrooms, garlic and anything else you want on them should be semi-fried in lots of olive oil And don't drain them on anything. Just pile it on the top of the pizza with the pepperoni and cheese. I want to see pools of olive oil on the top under the cheese. I don't want to see what is underneath the cheese. There should be so much cheese, that the company is going to go broke buying mozzarella cheese. And definitely thin crust with a little bit of burn and corn meal on the bottom.
Addie, I'm truly sorry dear but I guess we won't be sharing a pizza anytime soon. I honestly couldn't eat something like what you describe. I like my pizza somewhat on the healthy side, with lots of fresh veggies and maybe a little sausage. But go light on the cheese and that sausage had better be well drained. When I'm done I don't want to feel like I've just eaten a gut bomb. Gobs of grease and cheese just doesn't do it for me. I have a history of heart disease in my family. It afflicted and eventually killed both my parents at far too young an age, so I take a little bit different approach to eating these days. Hopefully I can avoid their fate. I'm still overweight, but I'm working on it.

But to each their own, and I totally respect your right to eat what you enjoy. I just hope you can respect mine as well.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:40 PM   #63
Executive Chef

I don't like greasy pizza either. I know my preference is probably sacrilege to some but sausage is just too fatty, and pepperoni is too spicy and gives me heartburn. That's why I like so much to make my own pizza, so I can put just what I want and nothing more. For meat I like sliced meatballs although chicken and shrimp are good too. I get along with cheese just fine although there's a point where there could be too much of a good thing. I like tomato sauce most of the time, but I'm intrigued with the thought of non-tomato based sauces too.

And I like the crust, but there too there can be too much of a good thing. I particularly like Nestlund's pizza crust as pictured in the OP. That just looks perfect to me, just the right thickness, and just the right amount of crispness too! That's a pizza you can be proud of!
Old 01-24-2012, 03:46 PM   #64
Wine Guy

There's no right or wrong when it comes to pizza (or any food for that matter). It's all what you enjoy.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:08 PM   #65
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
There's no right or wrong when it comes to pizza (or any food for that matter). It's all what you enjoy.
Oh there is wrong food. My MIL used to reuse spice bottles, and fill them with other spices than the original. I made this marinara sauce one time, at her house. I grabbed what I thought was granulated garlic powder. What I put into my sauce was ground cinnamon. I couldn't remove it, and so tried to doctor it into something edible. I added raisins and brown sugar as well, trying to overcome the piquant flavor of the basil and oregano. It was horendous. We ended up throwing it out. There is wrong food, my freind, just not in the way your are talking about it.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:24 PM   #66
Cook

The pizza i made tonight was completely different. Preheated oven at max for 1 hr then turned on the broiler to get my preheated stone to even hotter temps (650 ish). This was necessary to melt real fresh mozzarella i had purchased earlier today. Pie baked in 4 mins flat. Excellent char on the bottom. Sorry everyone, no pics this time.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:08 AM   #67
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
GW, what you describe sounds very much like a calzone (see pic). Is there a difference?

It looks like a pizza pastie. But is it made with real pizza dough, and is it about ten inches wide, and does it have pepperoni, pizza sauce, mushrooms, sausage, onions, black olives, and lots of good mozarella cheese. If so, and if it's made in the U.P., then it's a pizza pasty. But you can call it a calzone if you want. And yes, it does look like the picture.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:27 AM   #68
Executive Chef

Longwind, I'd probably die and go to Heaven if they served that with a non-tomato sauce and something other than pepperoni. I think there's a whole vast gulf of ideas to explore, calzoni with maybe mushrooms, shrimp, vegetables, cheese and some sort of white sauce. I'll tackle it some day.

It's not that I don't like tomato sauce pizza. It's only that I'm awed by the possibilities of making pizzas or calzoni and using some other sauce base. It just boggles my mind.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:24 AM   #69
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
A. When I'm done I don't want to feel like I've just eaten a gut bomb. Gobs of grease and cheese just doesn't do it for me. I have a history of heart disease in my family. It afflicted and eventually killed both my parents at far too young an age, so I take a little bit different approach to eating these days. Hopefully I can avoid their fate. I'm still overweight, but I'm working on it.
So, you won't be eating Panzerotti any time soon?
Old 01-25-2012, 05:16 PM   #70
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by nestlund View Post
The pizza i made tonight was completely different. Preheated oven at max for 1 hr then turned on the broiler to get my preheated stone to even hotter temps (650 ish). This was necessary to melt real fresh mozzarella i had purchased earlier today. Pie baked in 4 mins flat. Excellent char on the bottom. Sorry everyone, no pics this time.
It is easier to melt aged moz cheese than fresh. I use fresh only in salads.

Tags
crust