"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pizza & Focaccia

Old 12-12-2011, 04:24 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
My favorite is a copycat recipe of one my wife and I once had at a place in California. You start with a whole wheat crust brushed with a little olive oil. On top of that goes minced garlic, caramelized balsamic onions, goat cheese, and walnuts. When it comes out of the oven you put a handful of fresh arugula on top and drizzle with a little more olive oil and sea salt. Absolute heaven!
That sounds like heaven. I wonder how truffle oil drizzled on top would taste.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:34 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

when i want pizza , i call the local "round table" i order one with everything, though i do pick off the bell peppers. or i order a chicken garlic pizza. it has white sauce chicken, lots of garlic and sautéed onions. it is way to expensive for me to buy all the ingredients and make my own. i also ask for anchovies on the side, if i don't have a can in the pantry. i know all the purists are cringing.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:52 PM   #13
Master Chef

Old 12-12-2011, 09:57 PM   #14
Senior Cook

I made a pizza on saturday! It was a 13" crispy crust with mozzarella shredded in the food processor and ragu pizza sauce. I sometimes add green peppers, onions, pepperoni, sausage.

Just today I purchased 5 cans of crushed tomatoes to learn how to make my own sauces for pizza & pasta.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:38 AM   #15
Master Chef

Site Moderator

I made a pizza last night for dinner. I use a frozen pizza dough from a local market. Last night's was BBQ chicken & bacon. Stretch the dough then brush with some olive oil; season with ground black pepper, salt and garlic powder then top with BBQ sauce. Next add shredded mozzarella and some shredded cheddar; then top with crispy bacon, some diced grilled chicken tenders, and some more cheese.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:21 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
My favorite is a copycat recipe of one my wife and I once had at a place in California. You start with a whole wheat crust brushed with a little olive oil. On top of that goes minced garlic, caramelized balsamic onions, goat cheese, and walnuts. When it comes out of the oven you put a handful of fresh arugula on top and drizzle with a little more olive oil and sea salt. Absolute heaven!
That sounds really good. There was a pizza place near where I worked in the '90s that specialized in "designer" pizzas--the mango-brie-pizza one was my FAV! Sadly, the owner retired and the person who bought the place didn't keep his menu.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:43 AM   #17
Head Chef

Msmofet--you just killed me. This low carb stuff is for the birds--(but I have lost 65 pounds and my blood sugar and cholesterol numbers are great!)

My tip for good pizza is to make the dough the night before (at least--you can do it a couple of days ahead if you want) and let it raise in the fridge.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:28 AM   #18
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by no mayonnaise View Post
That sounds like heaven. I wonder how truffle oil drizzled on top would taste.
I like truffle oil, so that sounds good to me. Unfortunately, my wife can't stand it. I keep my own little bottle around just to drizzle on veggies, eggs, and such.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:35 AM   #19
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
That sounds really good. There was a pizza place near where I worked in the '90s that specialized in "designer" pizzas--the mango-brie-pizza one was my FAV! Sadly, the owner retired and the person who bought the place didn't keep his menu.
Mango/habanero is a good pizza combo, too.

I am definitely not in the standard red sauce and cheese camp when it comes to pizza. Especially cheese. Too many places pile on the cheese, and that gives me heartburn flare-ups. I like to use smaller amounts of real flavorful cheeses like Chevre, Romano, and even blue cheese on pizza. Not traditional, but tasty.

Tags
pizza