How do YOU build YOUR Pizza?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Timothy

Head Chef
From the dough up, what do you put on your Pizza?

Cheese types and the order of construction?

Meat types?

Veggies...what do you put on?

How much sauce do you use and how do you put it on the pizza?

Come On pizza people! Give your recipes!

I built one last night...didn't take any pics. I started with a dough I made in the bread machine, to which I added Italian seasoning. Once the dough was ready, I then put a barrier using one of the drier ingredients between the crust and the sauce, last night, it was the pepperoni, followed by the mushrooms, then the sauce (home made) and then green pepper, sauerkraut, black olives, and moz cheese.

For meat, we typically use sausage or pepperoni. Sometimes shrimp, bacon, or ham.

For veggies--tomatoes, peppers, olives, sauerkraut, onion, mushrooms, zucchini, eggplant, whatever.

Cheese is usually moz or moz + asaigo blended.

Sauce-about 2 c (we call this a brick because we make it during tomato season and freeze it in 16 oz. containers).

Last edited:
When I make pizza at home from scratch, I like to make about two or three 10 inch pizzas. Each one is different so I can have a variety 'cus I like so many different combinations of ingredients. And, I like leftover pizza. Just about anything goes. I will usually make a plain pepperoni for my daughter, then after that one, anything goes. Some of my favorite ingredients are, italian sausage, cappicola, pancetta, mushrooms, onions, anchovies. So, the other pizzas will always have some or all of those ingredients on them. I don't think I have ever made the same combination twice.

I make dough and pizza sauce for two small pizzas. I usually use mozzarella, sometimes fresh and sometimes shredded. One of our pizzas is usually a Margarita pizza for which we use sliced tomato and fresh mzzarella with a chiffonade of basil. The other is often pepperoni with or without mushrooms or onions.

My fav, spread the dough with onion goop, top with potato cubes roasted in duck fat, scatter on chunks of goat cheese and a few chopped anchovies.:yum:

No sauce, fresh mozzarella, fresh tomato slices, basil leaves, minced garlic, salt, fresh ground black pepper, sprinkle of MSG, and extra virgin olive oil.

Or, pizza sauce, mozzarella, mushrooms and black olives. Sometimes green, makes no difference to me. And of course salt/pepper/MSG.

When they're done they get the parmesan and pepper flake treatment too.

Last edited:
Nothing special. For quick a quick tomato layer, a small can of tomato paste, the kind with Italian herbs, with mixed in pureed garlic (lots), cumin seeds, and olive oil to thin. Thin medallions of mozzarella, basil from the garden, pine nuts, and some finely grated parmesan or Fiore Sardo. I may also use a bunch of diced onion. Sometimes, in place of the basil I use some of the basil pesto I have frozen from the summer.

I spread the sauce pretty thin, mostly smeared by hand, because it's still kind of thick to spread. That's a small can of sauce plus additives to about an 18-inch pizza.

I have come to find most meats too heavy for pizza for my taste, although sometimes a few anchovies find their way onto one.

I made a fantastic mushroom pizza last night. The sauce was a mushroom puree, I used button mushrooms, thyme, rosemary, garlic, milk, and salt and a bit of parm cheese. Boiled it until it reduced by some, then blended it. Roasted baby bella mushrooms, w/thyme, rosemary, garlic, pepper flakes, and salt. I cooked the dough, then sprinkled some parm cheese on top, added the sauce, the mushrooms, and topped it with mozzarella and parm. Popped it in the oven 'til it was GBD and it was soon devoured after.

Dough, sauce, mushrooms, black olives, pepperoncini, anchovies, peperoni, salami, THEN the cheese last, so that it holds everything on and you're not chasing an olive across the kitchen floor every time you take a bite.

My favorite is a copycat recipe of one my wife and I once had at a place in California. You start with a whole wheat crust brushed with a little olive oil. On top of that goes minced garlic, caramelized balsamic onions, goat cheese, and walnuts. When it comes out of the oven you put a handful of fresh arugula on top and drizzle with a little more olive oil and sea salt. Absolute heaven!

My favorite is a copycat recipe of one my wife and I once had at a place in California. You start with a whole wheat crust brushed with a little olive oil. On top of that goes minced garlic, caramelized balsamic onions, goat cheese, and walnuts. When it comes out of the oven you put a handful of fresh arugula on top and drizzle with a little more olive oil and sea salt. Absolute heaven!

That sounds like heaven. I wonder how truffle oil drizzled on top would taste. :chef:

when i want pizza , i call the local "round table" i order one with everything, though i do pick off the bell peppers. or i order a chicken garlic pizza. it has white sauce chicken, lots of garlic and sautéed onions. it is way to expensive for me to buy all the ingredients and make my own. i also ask for anchovies on the side, if i don't have a can in the pantry. i know all the purists are cringing.

img_1083149_0_783d0e063ee5f3643095794b467cc5b5.jpg

img_1083149_1_4052e8ffc335a5e88d8968de342fa51e.jpg

img_1083149_2_0418dec3dd152cd3e6ee0631b0c5a24d.jpg

img_1083149_3_d6205fde056b8bb050f87940aca96bcb.jpg

img_1083149_4_79fa3b773b9f01a43ae81aa37825e473.jpg

img_1083149_5_4b7be8e4e5f0fcba04688ff06880b40c.jpg

img_1083149_6_ccc0f0c10cc7395c8043dfce73ba63e8.jpg

I made a pizza on saturday! It was a 13" crispy crust with mozzarella shredded in the food processor and ragu pizza sauce. I sometimes add green peppers, onions, pepperoni, sausage.

Just today I purchased 5 cans of crushed tomatoes to learn how to make my own sauces for pizza & pasta.

I made a pizza last night for dinner. I use a frozen pizza dough from a local market. Last night's was BBQ chicken & bacon. Stretch the dough then brush with some olive oil; season with ground black pepper, salt and garlic powder then top with BBQ sauce. Next add shredded mozzarella and some shredded cheddar; then top with crispy bacon, some diced grilled chicken tenders, and some more cheese.

That sounds really good. There was a pizza place near where I worked in the '90s that specialized in "designer" pizzas--the mango-brie-pizza one was my FAV! Sadly, the owner retired and the person who bought the place didn't keep his menu.

Msmofet--you just killed me. This low carb stuff is for the birds--(but I have lost 65 pounds and my blood sugar and cholesterol numbers are great!)

My tip for good pizza is to make the dough the night before (at least--you can do it a couple of days ahead if you want) and let it raise in the fridge.

That sounds really good. There was a pizza place near where I worked in the '90s that specialized in "designer" pizzas--the mango-brie-pizza one was my FAV! Sadly, the owner retired and the person who bought the place didn't keep his menu.
Mango/habanero is a good pizza combo, too.

I am definitely not in the standard red sauce and cheese camp when it comes to pizza. Especially cheese. Too many places pile on the cheese, and that gives me heartburn flare-ups. I like to use smaller amounts of real flavorful cheeses like Chevre, Romano, and even blue cheese on pizza. Not traditional, but tasty.

Back
Top Bottom