"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pizza & Focaccia
Old 12-12-2011, 08:27 AM   #1
Executive Chef
How do YOU build YOUR Pizza?

From the dough up, what do you put on your Pizza?

Cheese types and the order of construction?

Meat types?

Veggies...what do you put on?

How much sauce do you use and how do you put it on the pizza?

Come On pizza people! Give your recipes!

Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:39 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
I built one last night...didn't take any pics. I started with a dough I made in the bread machine, to which I added Italian seasoning. Once the dough was ready, I then put a barrier using one of the drier ingredients between the crust and the sauce, last night, it was the pepperoni, followed by the mushrooms, then the sauce (home made) and then green pepper, sauerkraut, black olives, and moz cheese.

For meat, we typically use sausage or pepperoni. Sometimes shrimp, bacon, or ham.

For veggies--tomatoes, peppers, olives, sauerkraut, onion, mushrooms, zucchini, eggplant, whatever.

Cheese is usually moz or moz + asaigo blended.

Sauce-about 2 c (we call this a brick because we make it during tomato season and freeze it in 16 oz. containers).

I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:43 AM   #3
Executive Chef
When I make pizza at home from scratch, I like to make about two or three 10 inch pizzas. Each one is different so I can have a variety 'cus I like so many different combinations of ingredients. And, I like leftover pizza. Just about anything goes. I will usually make a plain pepperoni for my daughter, then after that one, anything goes. Some of my favorite ingredients are, italian sausage, cappicola, pancetta, mushrooms, onions, anchovies. So, the other pizzas will always have some or all of those ingredients on them. I don't think I have ever made the same combination twice.
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:20 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef
I make dough and pizza sauce for two small pizzas. I usually use mozzarella, sometimes fresh and sometimes shredded. One of our pizzas is usually a Margarita pizza for which we use sliced tomato and fresh mzzarella with a chiffonade of basil. The other is often pepperoni with or without mushrooms or onions.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:04 AM   #5
Executive Chef
My fav, spread the dough with onion goop, top with potato cubes roasted in duck fat, scatter on chunks of goat cheese and a few chopped anchovies.
I was married by a judge, I should have asked for a jury.
Bolas De Fraile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:34 PM   #6
Sous Chef
No sauce, fresh mozzarella, fresh tomato slices, basil leaves, minced garlic, salt, fresh ground black pepper, sprinkle of MSG, and extra virgin olive oil.

Or, pizza sauce, mozzarella, mushrooms and black olives. Sometimes green, makes no difference to me. And of course salt/pepper/MSG.

When they're done they get the parmesan and pepper flake treatment too.
no mayonnaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:42 PM   #7
Head Chef
Nothing special. For quick a quick tomato layer, a small can of tomato paste, the kind with Italian herbs, with mixed in pureed garlic (lots), cumin seeds, and olive oil to thin. Thin medallions of mozzarella, basil from the garden, pine nuts, and some finely grated parmesan or Fiore Sardo. I may also use a bunch of diced onion. Sometimes, in place of the basil I use some of the basil pesto I have frozen from the summer.

I spread the sauce pretty thin, mostly smeared by hand, because it's still kind of thick to spread. That's a small can of sauce plus additives to about an 18-inch pizza.

I have come to find most meats too heavy for pizza for my taste, although sometimes a few anchovies find their way onto one.
"Kitchen duty is awarded only to those of manifest excellence..." - The Master, Dogen
GLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:44 PM   #8
I made a fantastic mushroom pizza last night. The sauce was a mushroom puree, I used button mushrooms, thyme, rosemary, garlic, milk, and salt and a bit of parm cheese. Boiled it until it reduced by some, then blended it. Roasted baby bella mushrooms, w/thyme, rosemary, garlic, pepper flakes, and salt. I cooked the dough, then sprinkled some parm cheese on top, added the sauce, the mushrooms, and topped it with mozzarella and parm. Popped it in the oven 'til it was GBD and it was soon devoured after.
Good bread is the most fundamentally satisfying of all foods; good bread with fresh butter, the greatest of feasts! ~James Beard
cmontg34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:55 PM   #9
Executive Chef
Dough, sauce, mushrooms, black olives, pepperoncini, anchovies, peperoni, salami, THEN the cheese last, so that it holds everything on and you're not chasing an olive across the kitchen floor every time you take a bite.
Life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party - Jimmy Buffett
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:11 PM   #10
Wine Guy
My favorite is a copycat recipe of one my wife and I once had at a place in California. You start with a whole wheat crust brushed with a little olive oil. On top of that goes minced garlic, caramelized balsamic onions, goat cheese, and walnuts. When it comes out of the oven you put a handful of fresh arugula on top and drizzle with a little more olive oil and sea salt. Absolute heaven!

Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote