How to make pizza in America?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very thin crust made with flour, a tiny bit of corn meal, yeast, a touch of olive oil and water. Cooked on the grill over a wood fire. Favorite toppings are a Margharita; sauteed spinach with a bit of red pepper flakes, dry fried brown mushrooms and smoked moz, with a bare minimum of pizza sauce; and pepperoni and black olives.

There's also a pizza that uses cooked crawfish, sauteed onions, fontina and blue cheese, a sweet sauce made using apricot preserves (I think, been a long time), and I think maybe arugula went on top after cooking. Too lazy to get the cookbook and see exact ingredients. Sounds weird and I was really hesitant about trying it, but it's really good once in a while.

We have one of the PH priazzo recipes if anybody is interested. It was pretty close to what we both remember. Just don't make it very often cause it's not really one of my favs, though I will eat it, and it's a PITA to make. It was the one with a lot of meat toppings in it.

I hate this thread. I've already been craving homemade pizza and this thread made it WAY worse. So, that's what's on our menu tonight.

That is what we called a "Garbage Special" back in high school. Of course a little partaking of the "herb" created the desire to order it!:angel: That being said, partaking of the "herb" also caused other poor judgement errors, such as listening to Black Sabbath at maximum volume.:ohmy:

Well, heck, I'm almost 60 and I still drive down the road blasting AC/DC from the car. And that's without the herb.

Well, heck, I'm almost 60 and I still drive down the road blasting AC/DC from the car. And that's without the herb.

The music still blasts with out the herb, but now its mostly bluegrass and Cajun, not zydeco.

Man could I evefr go off-topic on this one. But I'll be good. IMHO, pizza pasties from Upper Crust Pizza, in my home town are still the most amazing pizzas on the planet. If any of you ever cruise up to the Soo to take a look at the lake freighters, and be amazed by our mosquito and biting bug inffested forests that are a beautiful as any, anywhere, you have to try a pizza pasty, and give me a holler.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Sicilian Style Pizza

Ingredients:

• 1 medium russet potato
• 3 cups all-purpose flour
• 1⅓ cup water
• 2 tsp kosher salt
• 1½ tsp rapid-rise yeast
• 3 tsp sugar
• ½ cup extra light olive oil
• ⅔ cup marinara sauce
• 2 tsp dried oregano
• ½ tsp red pepper flakes
• 1 cup parmigiano reggiano cheese
• 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
• Other toppings as desired (I like LOVE anchovies!)

Instructions:

Place the potato in a medium saucepan and cover it with cold water. Bring the water to a boil over high heat and cook the potato until a paring knife inserted into the center meets no resistance, about 15 minutes. Squeeze the potato through a potato ricer into a bowl, discarding the skin, and allow the potato to cool at room temperature for 10 minutes. You should have 6 ounces of riced potato.
Combine the flour, salt, yeast, sugar, and 2 Tbs of olive oil in the bowl of stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. Add the water and mix on medium speed until the dough comes together and no dry flour remains. Add the cooled potato, increase speed to medium-high and mix until the dough is stretchy and smooth, about 6 minutes. The dough should stick to the bottom of the bowl but pull away from the sides.
Pour the remaining olive oil into a rimmed baking sheet and spread the oil over entire inner surface with your hands. Transfer the dough to the baking sheet and rub the top surface with oil until thoroughly coated. Cover the baking sheet with plastic wrap and allow the dough to rise at room temperature until it has spread out to touch nearly the rim of baking sheet, about 2 hours.
30 minutes before baking, adjust the oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 550°F. Carefully remove the plastic wrap from the pizza dough. Using oiled hands and being as gentle as possible to maintain air bubbles, push and stretch the dough into the corners of the pan by pressing out from the center and lifting each corner and stretching it beyond the edge of the pan. It should pull back until the pan is filled with dough.
Spread approximately ⅔ cup of the sauce over top surface of the pizza dough with back of a spoon, leaving 1-inch border all the way around the edge. Sprinkle the top of the pizza with half of the Parmigiano reggiano cheese, focusing on the edges of the crust. Bake the pizza in the 550°F oven for 5 minutes, remove it from oven, add any additional toppings, and spread the shredded mozzarella evenly over the surface. If you have extra sauce, dot the pizza with it in irregular spots.
Return the pizza to the oven and bake it until crust is well browned and the cheese is melted and lightly browned in spots, 10 to 15 minutes longer. Allow the pizza to cool for 5 minutes, transfer it to a large cutting board. If the pizza sticks to the pan at some point, use a spatula to carefully loosen it. Cut the pizza into 8 or 12 rectangular slices, and serve.

Last edited:
That is what we called a "Garbage Special" back in high school. Of course a little partaking of the "herb" created the desire to order it!:angel: That being said, partaking of the "herb" also caused other poor judgement errors, such as listening to Black Sabbath at maximum volume.:ohmy:

Come on now, listening to Black Sabbath at maximum volume is the ONLY way to listen to Black Sabbath!

RD

Last edited:
Who is this Herb so intertwined with music that you speak of? :ermm:

I can only think of...

Herb Ellis

Herb Geller

Herb Pomeroy

Herb Alpert

Or possibly Herb Cohen.

:rolleyes:

Oh well I'm sure they all enjoyed American Pizza and any other kind of pizza with any and all associated herbs used. ;)

It is pizza after all. :yum:

Who is this Herb so intertwined with music that you speak of? :ermm:

I can only think of...

Herb Ellis

Herb Geller

Herb Pomeroy

Herb Alpert

Or possibly Herb Cohen.

:rolleyes:

Oh well I'm sure they all enjoyed American Pizza and any other kind of pizza with any and all associated herbs used. ;)

It is pizza after all. :yum:

That would be Mary Jane.:angel:

Now you've really got me confused. (Not very hard to do.) :(

Mary Jane or Herb?? :rolleyes:

One is male the other one female.
Is Herb/Mary gender confused? ;)

You speaking...
Mary Jane Rathbun?
Mary Jane Blige?
Mary Jane Lamond?

Perhaps one day I'll be able to get things. :huh:

But don't hold your breath on that. :D