ISO Cracker Crust

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeni78

Senior Cook
I've been trying to get a cracker dough pizza crust this week. Have tried the following:

Used bread flour, put at bottom of the oven, 500 degrees, open door every so often to keep the heating element on and I use a pizza stone.

My last attempt got me extremely tough crust - but not cracker crust.

Here's the recipe

1.5 c flour
1 pkg yeats
1 t sugar
1/2 t salt
~1/2 c warm water
~1 olive oil

I also tried omitting the oil from the dough mix and just spreading it across the rolled dough.

Any thoughts? Looking for extremely thing and cracker-ish.

Thank you!
Jeni

I have already googled this.

The particular site you are referencing has a 24-hour rise on their dough.

I can't believe there is no way to get a cracker crust pizza in one night - short of going out.

bakechef, now that we've both googled it, and neither of us knows how to do this, is there anyone with does? :)

Thanks

Jeni,

Search that site that was pulled up by the google search. You've stumbled upon the Best pizza making site on the web. It is filled with everyone from amateur to restaurant owners. Go into the forum and go under the cracker style pizza category for emergency recipes. You'll be very pleased you found this site and you'll probably get addicted like me.

Pulled this recipe off the site. I've made it before and it's decent.

This is a 14" pizza.

KAAP Flour (100%): 159g
Water (35%): 58g
Milk (18%): 29g
IDY (.66%): 1g
Salt (1.25%): 2g
Oil (8%): 13g
Total (165%): 262g TF = 0.06

Everything goes into the KA mixer with dough hook and blended together at mix speed and once incorporated a bit upped to 2 speed for 5 mins. of kneading. Room temp rise in a bowl with vented lid. I just used a deep cereal bowl with Seran Wrap that I punctured 4 times. Punched down after doubling in size about two hours in and then doubling again about one hour later. Removed from bowl and rolled out as oven is preheating to 450*. I use quite a bit of bench flour in rolling this out to 14". I do not use a standard rolling pin, I have a pastry roller with two sides to it. My wife calls it my Flintstone's car. This is an easier roller than a full size rolling pin. The pics shown are of a pie cooked on a black, hard coat, perforated disk. Obviously, the disk is not shown. The disk is 15" and I make the pie just a touch smaller for topping melt off. I leave the formed skin on the disk for about 15 minutes before dressing to give it a chance to get some gassing going again after rolling it out. I didn't have any of my own sauce ready today but did have a can of Pastorelli's that I used. Pastorelli's is too thick for my liking and has a little too much heat on the tail end so I thin it out considerably with water and add about a half teaspoon of sugar, and a half teaspoon of grated parm. I like the results of those slight adjustments. Top the skin and into the oven on the middle rack. Important adjustment that I've found to be quite effective: raise the oven temp to 500* as it goes in and cook it at that temp. This probably wouldn't have as big an impact with a gas oven or an electric with the element beneath the floor of the oven, however, my element is exposed and helps brown the bottom nicely as the top doesn't cook as quickly. When browned nicely I get it out of the oven and off the disk immediately onto a cooling rack for a couple minutes before moving to cutting board. I think this is kinda huge. That piping hot pie still has a fair amount of moisture that gets trapped underneath whether it's on the disk or more likely on a cutting board. Allowing the bottom to "breathe" helps to extend the crispness pretty dramatically over when I move it straight to the cutting board for cutting.

Thanks - ironically I emailed CI. Yes some recipes are long but I like them.

I will go to the forums and take a look on the pizza making site. I didn't know there were forums!

Alas, I do not have a KA mixer or a bread machine so do everything by hand. I actually like to it that way (although the mixer is on the wishlist).

Alas, I do not have a KA mixer or a bread machine so do everything by hand. I actually like to it that way (although the mixer is on the wishlist).

Time for the Pro600! :)

Mine has paid for itself in bread.

Thank you Kayelle - I have to confess I lurk more. I have found this board to be a great resource for random cooking/baking questions.

I don't post as much because I usually don't have answers for questions, lol.

cracker crust

i believe that the oil and sugar might be getting in your way. my best cracker crust comes from the most basic recipe (i've tried many and keep coming back to this one) --- made in the bread machine, it's ready in less than 2 hrs for rolling out. i get three to four crusts out of the recipe, depending on thinness ---

2 c. bread flour
1 c. warm water
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. yeast

now, i typically add things like herbs and sesame seeds that would not affect consistency. if you use this as the base recipe, then add water or flour as needed for a smooth, elastic dough ball, you should be fine. i know that adding oil/fat and/or sugar always changes consistency for mine to a more chewy crust.

Back
Top Bottom