"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pizza & Focaccia

Old 08-26-2012, 12:33 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

ISO - Thin Crispy Pizza Crust Recipe Please

Hey Guys

I am after a tried, tested and loved thin pizza crust recipe, has anyone got any they would like to share?

We just bought a Pizza Stone today and wanting to get into making our own pizzas

Old 08-26-2012, 01:00 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

We definitely prefer the thinner crispier crust...so any of those recipes will be great

Also we dont mind medium thickness crusts either

Old 08-26-2012, 01:56 AM   #3
Cook

Are you looking for NY style or chicago cracker/thin crust?
Old 08-26-2012, 05:00 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I would say the thin one...thin and crispy is what we would prefer...so I will say the Chicago Cracker base, thanks
Old 09-05-2012, 11:31 AM   #5
Cook

This will yield two 14in pies

AP Flour (100%): 373.83 g | 13.19 oz | 0.82 lbs
Water (50%): 186.92 g | 6.59 oz | 0.41 lbs
IDY (.5%): 1.87 g | 0.07 oz | 0 lbs | 0.62 tsp | 0.21 tbsp
Salt (1%): 3.74 g | 0.13 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.67 tsp | 0.22 tbsp
Oil (8%): 29.91 g | 1.05 oz | 0.07 lbs | 6.65 tsp | 2.22 tbsp
Sugar (1%): 3.74 g | 0.13 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.94 tsp | 0.31 tbsp

Make dough 48-72 hrs ahead (absolute minimum is 24 hrs.; my personal preference is 72; still great after 96 hrs), kept in fridge until a couple hrs before baking. Punch down as needed during the first 12-24 hrs. I like to separate out the dough balls after the first 24 hrs. of rising as one mass.

When making the dough, dump all the dry ingredients into the mixer bowl, stir to combine, and then add the liquids. Mix until it the dough comes together, and then let it sit for 20 minutes, covered, to hydrate. Resume with kneading until windowpane stage (5-10 mins).

Roll out your 300 g dough ball to 14", which is just under the size of a typical pizza stone. The pizza will cook directly on the stone--no cutter pan or screen or anything. (I have lately been assembling on foil on the peel, just because I'm lazy and that's easier and less messy to slide onto the stone than cornmeal. Do whatever way you like, but you should not pan the pizza.)

Top with sauce. I like to go pretty heavy.

Add sausage (ideally), raw and flattened out a bit, or however you like it.

Add any veggies or other toppings.

Top with about 6 oz (by weight) of shredded mozz; if you really want more, that's fine, but don't put more than 8 oz. (if you are using pre-shredded stuff, it's about 1 1/2 c to make 6 oz by weight)

IV. BAKING

Preheat a baking stone to 500 for one hour and reduce to 450 before putting in the pie. (I like putting my stone on an upper rack, but you know your oven and local conditions better than I do. I only know my oven.)

Carefully slide the assembled pizza onto the hot baking stone. Bake at 450 for about 10 minutes (or 9-13 minutes, depending on your oven and your desired doneness).

When the cheese starts to brown and the crust looks golden, remove from oven and let stand on a cooling rack for 6-7 minutes before cutting. [NOTE: The cooling rack is a key step, since it lets air under the crust to cool it and allow steam to escape; otherwise, if left on a pan, the crust will soften and no longer have that the desired texture on the bottom. If you do not have a cooling rack, jury rig something. At the very least, you can cool the pizza on cheap, non-waxy paper plates, which I have used with some success, since they are porous.]
Old 09-05-2012, 03:07 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Go to COOK'S COUNTRY ST. LOUIS PIZZA If you watch the video with a pencil and pad, you won't have to subscribe.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:33 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Cheers guys
Old 11-01-2012, 07:53 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Kylie, here's our favorite pizza crust.

Hi Kylie. You have been so very sweet to me. Got in to your thread late, but here's the crust we like the most. We like thin crust too and you can roll this out as thin as you like & you can use the food processor to make the dough, it comes out great. Try it, you'll like it alot (see below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
Hey Guys

I am after a tried, tested and loved thin pizza crust recipe, has anyone got any they would like to share?

We just bought a Pizza Stone today and wanting to get into making our own pizzas
PIZZA DOUGH (this makes one large pizza, or 2 smaller depending how thin you roll the crust)

1 package dry yeast (or 2 tsp.)
1 tsp. sugar
2/3 cup warm water
1 2/3 cups all purpose flour (I use unbleached)
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp. olive oil

Dissolve yeast & sugar in the 2/3 cup warm water. Let stand 5 minutes.
Insert metal blade into the workbowl of the food processor.
Add the flour & salt. Pulse a couple times to combine.
With the machine running, pour the liquid through the feed tube as fast as the flour absorbs it.
Process until dough cleans the sides of the workbowl and forms a ball.
Then process for 30 seconds longer. Dough may be slightly sticky.
Coat the dough all around with olive oil.
Transfer dough to a plastic food storage bag (sprayed w/non-stick) or to a lightly oiled bowl (covered with plastic or moist towel)
Let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes.
Place dough on floured surface and punch down.
Roll into desired crust size(s)
Follow with pizza recipe.
I usually bake at 400 - 425 for 15 - 20 minutes.
I also like to sprinkle olive oil around the edges of the crust before baking :)
Old 11-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #9
Head Chef

Hi Kylie,
Check this out from Cook's Illustrated (there are also ratings and reviews from members of Serious Eats):
Cook's Illustrated's Thin-Crust Pizza | Serious Eats : Recipes
Old 11-01-2012, 08:39 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Kylie, I am 'assuming' you have a food processor. If not, then just combine ingredients and knead by hand for approx. 7 or 8 minutes. The baking time is approximate too, depending on how much toppings you put on your pizza. I am making pizza for dinner tonight and tripped over your thread. enjoy :)

Tags
crust, pizza, recipe