Looking for a Pizza Sandwich Bread Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taurus430

Assistant Cook
I am looking for a recipe of a flat bread that originated in Newark, NJ. This bread is round with a hole and was used for "Italian Style Hot Dogs. It's a great sandwich bread for cold cuts and other goodies like pepper & egg, egg plant etc. The bread is still made in the NJ area and I believe started in the area of Newark by Italian Imigrants. I don't know how to upload pics, asking for a url????? Well anyway it looks like a 9" bagel. There are videos on UTube, just key in "Italain Hot Dogs".

The such?

thedouble.jpg

or

bagels-sandwich-2.jpg

The such?

thedouble.jpg

or

Yes, this is an "Italian Style Hot Dog" in a 1/2 of Pizza Bread , nothing to do with Italy. Some foods in the USA were created by Italian Americans in the "Little Italy's of America. Some responses I got elsewhere seem to think maybe it's made with pizza dough. I am trying it out, but it's a very good sandwich bread and to bad the recipe is not out there. As I mentioned, some bread bakeries do bake this bread here in NJ. Other pizzerias and lunch places use an Italian roll. I do make Italian Style Hot Dogs at home as it is so good!!!!

Last edited:
Taurus I think you should google it.

Google: Italian style hot dogs

I came up with several likely leads but I've never been to NJ, never had an Italian hot dog, and wouldn't know what it was if it hauled off and bit me! :)

Simply Recipes: Italian style hot dog recipe
Wikipedia: Italian hot dog
Wikipedia: Mufuletta

And finally Jimmy Buff's claims Rachael Ray says their Italian hot dogs are "Newark's signature dish" in her "America's Best Hot Dog" article but unfortunately her site requires registration to verify the claim and I don't want to bother.

So perhaps there's some answers for you there. Good luck!

Last edited:
Merlot it's interesting that two of your links came up with Jimmy Buff's in the text. Two things that always amaze me about the Internet are Google and Wikipedia. I hope the OP will tell us how close we came to finding his/her answer.

I'd be willing to try an Italian hot dog if they promise me the dog doesn't have nitrates, but I suspect that's a promise they wouldn't be able to make. Anyway it's pretty unlikely I'll ever be in NJ.

ETA: found a Mufuletta recipe at What's Cooking America. Is this it?

Muffuletta1.jpg

Interestingly, I found a topic at City-Data.com started by a member Taurus430 What is the name of the Italian bread with a hole in the middle? It looks like it's going to be a long quest since that was started in February 2009, three years and still seeking.

Also this question asked and answered at The Fresh Loaf: "nyone have a recipe to make this bread that was made in some Italian Bakeries back in the 60's in Brooklyn. I'll describe it from memory- Round loaf with hole in the middle. The bread was braided ..." and the reply "Napoletana "CASATIELLO" Lard Bread..."

I guess we could just google on and on and on...

Last edited:
Merlot it's interesting that two of your links came up with Jimmy Buff's in the text. Two things that always amaze me about the Internet are Google and Wikipedia. I hope the OP will tell us how close we came to finding his/her answer.

I'd be willing to try an Italian hot dog if they promise me the dog doesn't have nitrates, but I suspect that's a promise they wouldn't be able to make. Anyway it's pretty unlikely I'll ever be in NJ.

Thanks! This is all on the right track but I still don't have a recipe, just a guess that it might be pizza dough and is close to a Muffulatta bread w/o the seeds. It is a Jimmy Buff creation, the Grandfather's hot dog store being 6 blocks from where I lived in Newark back in the day. Also I've been on the other sites as I am a member. This bread should not die off but be in the collection of breads similar the way the Muffuletta Bread is online. Thanks again guys, Rob

I kind of wondered if you were already a member to Chowhound when I posted that discussion link, I found Chowhound a year or two ago but always had trouble with the links freezing up on me. :ermm: Then again, I did get a new computer. :LOL:

If I am on a search for something I can google/ research all day long, mind you I might not ever come up with anything but it entertains me and I like to learn. The biggest problem I have with my 7 year old and the internet is teaching him that not everything you read on the net is true. "Yahuh, I read it on the computer!" "It's true!"

I've followed some other cooking forums but decided I'd rather just focus on one and DC appeared the best to me. I was thinking more of the value of the discussions than navigating the site.

Meanwhile I'm curious if Taurus will let us know if any of our replies have gotten close to "the quest." :)

I've followed some other cooking forums but decided I'd rather just focus on one and DC appeared the best to me. I was thinking more of the value of the discussions than navigating the site.

Meanwhile I'm curious if Taurus will let us know if any of our replies have gotten close to "the quest." :)

I did let you know in posts 5 & 9 that the pic and info is correct about this and that I was looking for a recipe for this bread as stated in the OP.

Okay thanks, I think I missed at least one of your replies due to my poor Internet connection. (I sometimes have to resubmit posts several or a dozen times to have them take, and may sometimes miss new replies in the interim.)

Have you got your recipe now? And are we all invited over to try your cooking? :D

Back
Top Bottom