"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pizza & Focaccia

Old 02-09-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Looking for a Pizza Sandwich Bread Recipe

I am looking for a recipe of a flat bread that originated in Newark, NJ. This bread is round with a hole and was used for "Italian Style Hot Dogs. It's a great sandwich bread for cold cuts and other goodies like pepper & egg, egg plant etc. The bread is still made in the NJ area and I believe started in the area of Newark by Italian Imigrants. I don't know how to upload pics, asking for a url????? Well anyway it looks like a 9" bagel. There are videos on UTube, just key in "Italain Hot Dogs".

Old 02-09-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
Master Chef

Hm, could not find any on youtube.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

The such?

or

Old 02-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #4
Master Chef

That doesn't look to be 9" (about 22 cm)
Old 02-09-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izghoga View Post
The such?

or
Yes, this is an "Italian Style Hot Dog" in a 1/2 of Pizza Bread , nothing to do with Italy. Some foods in the USA were created by Italian Americans in the "Little Italy's of America. Some responses I got elsewhere seem to think maybe it's made with pizza dough. I am trying it out, but it's a very good sandwich bread and to bad the recipe is not out there. As I mentioned, some bread bakeries do bake this bread here in NJ. Other pizzerias and lunch places use an Italian roll. I do make Italian Style Hot Dogs at home as it is so good!!!!
Old 02-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Taurus I think you should google it.

Google: Italian style hot dogs

I came up with several likely leads but I've never been to NJ, never had an Italian hot dog, and wouldn't know what it was if it hauled off and bit me!

Simply Recipes: Italian style hot dog recipe
Wikipedia: Italian hot dog
Wikipedia: Mufuletta

And finally Jimmy Buff's claims Rachael Ray says their Italian hot dogs are "Newark's signature dish" in her "America's Best Hot Dog" article but unfortunately her site requires registration to verify the claim and I don't want to bother.

So perhaps there's some answers for you there. Good luck!
Old 02-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #7
Sous Chef

I also googled and came up with

Hot Dog of the Week: New Jersey Italian Hot Dog | Serious Eats

Best Italian Hot Dogs in NJ?? - New Jersey - Chowhound

Uncle Phaedrus, Finder of Lost Recipes

All of the links seem to be in favor that it is pizza dough and one went further to say "like a muffulata" (which I see that Greg gave a link for)

Old 02-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Merlot it's interesting that two of your links came up with Jimmy Buff's in the text. Two things that always amaze me about the Internet are Google and Wikipedia. I hope the OP will tell us how close we came to finding his/her answer.

I'd be willing to try an Italian hot dog if they promise me the dog doesn't have nitrates, but I suspect that's a promise they wouldn't be able to make. Anyway it's pretty unlikely I'll ever be in NJ.

ETA: found a Mufuletta recipe at What's Cooking America. Is this it?

Interestingly, I found a topic at City-Data.com started by a member Taurus430 What is the name of the Italian bread with a hole in the middle? It looks like it's going to be a long quest since that was started in February 2009, three years and still seeking.

Also this question asked and answered at The Fresh Loaf: "nyone have a recipe to make this bread that was made in some Italian Bakeries back in the 60's in Brooklyn. I'll describe it from memory- Round loaf with hole in the middle. The bread was braided ..." and the reply "Napoletana "CASATIELLO" Lard Bread..."

I guess we could just google on and on and on...
Old 02-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Merlot it's interesting that two of your links came up with Jimmy Buff's in the text. Two things that always amaze me about the Internet are Google and Wikipedia. I hope the OP will tell us how close we came to finding his/her answer.

I'd be willing to try an Italian hot dog if they promise me the dog doesn't have nitrates, but I suspect that's a promise they wouldn't be able to make. Anyway it's pretty unlikely I'll ever be in NJ.
Thanks! This is all on the right track but I still don't have a recipe, just a guess that it might be pizza dough and is close to a Muffulatta bread w/o the seeds. It is a Jimmy Buff creation, the Grandfather's hot dog store being 6 blocks from where I lived in Newark back in the day. Also I've been on the other sites as I am a member. This bread should not die off but be in the collection of breads similar the way the Muffuletta Bread is online. Thanks again guys, Rob
Old 02-09-2012, 08:10 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Google Napoletana Casatiello and click "Images" and see if any of those look like it. (Lots of holes.)

... Actually those pictures look quite good! (It must be nearing dinner time for me.)

Tags
bread, other, pizza, recipe, sandwich