Lost Pizza Dough Recipe - Cook's Illustrated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

velochic

Sous Chef
I have torn my house APART looking for the 95th Cook's Illustrated (November/December 2008) magazine that has a wonderful pizza dough recipe in it. I can't believe I lost it. I know that the ingredients are flour, vital wheat gluten, water, salt, yeast, oil... but I don't know the actual amounts and I can't remember the method (I've only used it once before).

If anyone has this or has a link to it (I've googled my little heart out and still haven't found it), could you please post it?

THANKS!!:chef:

1 tsp dry yeast
1 tsp salt
1 tblsp olive oil
in 3/4 cup warm water, mix

1 & 1/2 cup flour

don't know nothin' 'bout no wheat gluten, but make as good
a pizza as you get anywhere, IMO...........................BH51..

Pizza Bianca - Sept. 2008

Ingredients

3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (15 ounces)
1 2/3 cups water (13 1/2 ounces), room temperature
1 1/4 teaspoons table salt
1 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
1 1/4 teaspoons sugar
5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons fresh rosemary (whole leaves)

Instructions

1. Place towel or shelf liner beneath stand mixer to prevent wobbling. Mix flour, water, and table salt in bowl of stand mixer fitted with dough hook on low speed until no patches of dry flour remain, 3 to 4 minutes, occasionally scraping sides and bottom of bowl. Turn off mixer and let dough rest 20 minutes.
  2. Sprinkle yeast and sugar over dough. Knead on low speed until fully combined, 1 to 2 minutes, occasionally scraping sides and bottom of bowl. Increase mixer speed to high and knead until dough is glossy, smooth, and pulls away from sides of bowl, 6 to 10 minutes. (Dough will only pull away from sides while mixer is on. When mixer is off, dough will fall back to sides.)
  3. Using fingers, coat large bowl with 1 tablespoon oil, rubbing excess oil from fingers onto blade of rubber spatula. Using oiled spatula, transfer dough to bowl and pour 1 tablespoon oil over top. Flip dough over once so it is well coated with oil; cover tightly with plastic wrap. Let dough rise at room temperature until nearly tripled in volume and large bubbles have formed, 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
  4. One hour before baking pizza, adjust oven rack to middle position, place pizza stone on rack, and heat oven to 450 degrees.
  5. Coat rimmed baking sheet with 2 tablespoons oil. Using rubber spatula, turn dough out onto baking sheet along with any oil in bowl. Using fingertips, press dough out toward edges of pan, taking care not to tear it. (Dough will not fit snugly into corners. If dough resists stretching, let it relax for 5 to 10 minutes before trying to stretch again.) Let dough rest in pan until slightly bubbly, 5 to 10 minutes. Using dinner fork, poke surface of dough 30 to 40 times and sprinkle with kosher salt.
  6. Bake until golden brown, 20 to 30 minutes, sprinkling rosemary over top and rotating baking sheet halfway through baking. Using metal spatula, transfer pizza to cutting board. Brush dough lightly with remaining tablespoon oil. Slice and serve immediately.

Yes, that's the issue that I found when I googled, but didn't have a membership to log in. The Nov./Dec. issue was a lot of cookies...

Thank you for the replies, but I am 100% positive that it is from this 95th issue. I have up to issue 100 (the most recent) and the only one missing is the 95th. I have the issue with pizza bianca. That's not it. The one I'm looking for turns out a thin and crispy pizza dough and the recipe most definitely contains vital wheat gluten.

I actually just called my library and they are going to try get it for me through interlibrary loan.

I'm so sorry, velochic, but I've got issue #95 in front of me, and there's no pizza crust recipe in it. The only bread or baking recipes included are Rustic Dinner Rolls, French Butter Cookies (and loads of variations), and Pumpkin Pie. I also searched on their website and the only pizza recipe that comes up from 2008 is the pizza bianca. I can post a question on their forum if you want? What other magazines do you get? Is it possible you found the recipe somewhere else?

Well, Velochic, I don't know what to say about your Cook's Illustrated pizza recipe (I am a subscrber - magazine and website) and believe me, I did a search covering dozens of pages. I even searched using the key words "Wheat Gluten" and nothing except the Pizza Bianca recipe appeared.

Now, for your information, I do sometimes substitute 1/2 cup of bread flour for 1/2 cup of wheat gluten and add about 1/3 more water than most recipes call for, making a very sticky dough. The wheat gluten and water helps fully develop the gluten into long strands and traps more gas bubbles and makes the crust lighter and more chewy.

Well, it must be in one of the promo mags I got from Cook's Illustrated, then. Maybe Cook's Country. I know it's from America's Test Kitchen. It's the only one I get. I figured it had to be #95 because it's the only one I have missing. Great. Now I will really have to dig and find it. Thanks apple*tart!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom