"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pizza & Focaccia
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-10-2015, 03:20 PM   #11
Head Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,044
I agree with the one rise, then punch down and shape your crust. I never worry too much about perfect roundness. Mine come in many odd shapes, but that doesn't seem to affect the eatability. I also make small pies, no more than 6 to 8 inches, so I can do 4 individual pizzas at once on my 16" square stone.

I let everyone in the group "decorate" his pie as he or she likes it, then pop them on the stone (preheated to at least 500° for 45 minutes to an hour) using a piece of parchment. The parchment makes it easier to get the raw pizza on the stone without any spills along the way.
__________________

__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:03 AM   #12
Senior Cook
 
FoodieFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Portland
Posts: 356
For chewy, crispy dough refrigerate the dough overnight and NEVER roll it out. Hand stretching only. Being Sicilian, I've made my share of pizza over the years from deep dish to cracker thin. All dough styles require specific amounts of yeast, flour and water. You name the dough, I have the recipe! I'd be happy to post them.
__________________

__________________
FoodieFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:22 PM   #13
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 2,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoodieFanatic View Post
For chewy, crispy dough refrigerate the dough overnight and NEVER roll it out. Hand stretching only. Being Sicilian, I've made my share of pizza over the years from deep dish to cracker thin. All dough styles require specific amounts of yeast, flour and water. You name the dough, I have the recipe! I'd be happy to post them.
Okay. I need a reliable dough to make NY style pizza.
I have never had much luck making my own dough. I usually buy it from Publix. Its great BTW. But its also expensive.
So, I'm ready for your recipe or instructions. I have AP flour and yeast on hand.
__________________
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 02:00 PM   #14
Senior Cook
 
FoodieFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Portland
Posts: 356
RB, I'll get that to you later today.
__________________
FoodieFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 02:02 PM   #15
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 511
.... I have AP flour and yeast on hand.

oops. anymore I only do pizza at home. haven't bought any frozen stuff in - don't know, can't remember...

I use Jamie Oliver's recipe from here:
Basic Pizza Dough Bread Recipes | Jamie Oliver Recipes
but watch the quantity - it's sized for 4 biggie pies.
for a single crust, 165g bread flour + 115 g semolina + 148 g water

I use KA bread flour, and you can get semolina in Bob's Red Mill brand.
and for max crisp, go light on the oil.
__________________
dcSaute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 02:06 PM   #16
Senior Cook
 
FoodieFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Portland
Posts: 356
In some of my crust recipes I use no oil. Not home right now but I will post a couple different ones later.
__________________
FoodieFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:53 PM   #17
Senior Cook
 
FoodieFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Portland
Posts: 356
Recipe for thin crust

3/3/4 C all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon yeast
2 teaspoons sea salt
1-1/2 c. warm TAP water

Mix dry ingredients.
Add water.
Stir just until incorporated
Shape into ball
Place in a bowl; cover tightly with plastic wrap
Leave it on the counter in a draft free area for NINE hours
Do NOT touch it!
After nine hours, uncover and cut into 3 pieces.
Form them into balls, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight
Dust the balls in flour and stretch to desired shape DO NOT ROLL OUT!
Place on a peel covered in corn meal or flour and add toppings
NOTE: I use a sheet pan. Rub it with olive oil, sprinkle with corn meal, place stretched dough in pan and add toppings. Be light with the sauce as too much will make the dough soggy.
Place in HOT 500 degree oven for 10 minutes. Thin and crispy crust.
__________________
FoodieFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:40 PM   #18
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
We need, I think, to remember what causes the dough to rise. Yeast is a living organism. It feeds on sugars and simple starches. as it feeds, it releases both acid, and carbon dioxide into the dough. The gluten in the dough traps that gas and forms millions of little inflated balloon structures in the dough, causing it to rise. The acid, and flavor of the yeast come into play and give the dough that familiar yeast flavor. After the dough has risen one time, the flavor is developed. At that time, if the dough is hand tossed, rolled, or pushed with the finger tips, the carbon dioxide balloons pop, releasing the gas into the air. The dough becomes inflated. If left alone, the yeast will continue to feed, release more gas and acid, and the dough will again rise. But yeast is killed by heat. So, after the first rise, if the dough is deflated, shaped, and immediately place into a very hot oven, the yeast will be destroyed before leavening the dough again. The flavor is retained, and if cooked properly, then rested so that the entire crust bottom is open to the air, to allow any steam to escape, then the rustst will be thin and crispy.

I hope your pizza comes out perfect, with a perfectly crispy, thin crust.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:49 PM   #19
Senior Cook
 
FoodieFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Portland
Posts: 356
I've used this recipe many times and perfect crust every time. Lots of different methods and where you live can affect the results...humidity, altitude, temperature, etc. Just have to keep trying until you find one that works.
__________________
FoodieFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 12:36 PM   #20
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 2,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcSaute View Post
.... I have AP flour and yeast on hand.

oops. anymore I only do pizza at home. haven't bought any frozen stuff in - don't know, can't remember...
Actually Publix makes it in the store and puts it out under refrigeration for one day, then they freeze whats left and sell it frozen.
Its very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoodieFanatic View Post
Recipe for thin crust

3/3/4 C all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon yeast
2 teaspoons sea salt
1-1/2 c. warm TAP water

Mix dry ingredients.
Add water.
Stir just until incorporated
Shape into ball
Place in a bowl; cover tightly with plastic wrap
Leave it on the counter in a draft free area for NINE hours
Do NOT touch it!
After nine hours, uncover and cut into 3 pieces.
Form them into balls, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight
Dust the balls in flour and stretch to desired shape DO NOT ROLL OUT!
Place on a peel covered in corn meal or flour and add toppings
NOTE: I use a sheet pan. Rub it with olive oil, sprinkle with corn meal, place stretched dough in pan and add toppings. Be light with the sauce as too much will make the dough soggy.
Place in HOT 500 degree oven for 10 minutes. Thin and crispy crust.
Resting 9 hours at what ambient temperature?
I live in the south. Its usually quite hot here in the summer.
Your in the Pacific NW (beautiful country BTW) and I am in a different climate. Would you still go with 9 hours?
Thanks for the recipe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoodieFanatic View Post
I've used this recipe many times and perfect crust every time. Lots of different methods and where you live can affect the results...humidity, altitude, temperature, etc. Just have to keep trying until you find one that works.
I guess thats my answer? If I must keep trying, it will be much easier to go to Publix.
I mean thats why I asked so i can quit trying and start doing.
__________________

__________________
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pizza, dough

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.