Making pizza dough, thin and crispy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Recipe for thin crust

3/3/4 C all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon yeast
2 teaspoons sea salt
1-1/2 c. warm TAP water

Mix dry ingredients.
Add water.
Stir just until incorporated
Shape into ball
Place in a bowl; cover tightly with plastic wrap
Leave it on the counter in a draft free area for NINE hours
Do NOT touch it!
After nine hours, uncover and cut into 3 pieces.
Form them into balls, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight
Dust the balls in flour and stretch to desired shape DO NOT ROLL OUT!
Place on a peel covered in corn meal or flour and add toppings
NOTE: I use a sheet pan. Rub it with olive oil, sprinkle with corn meal, place stretched dough in pan and add toppings. Be light with the sauce as too much will make the dough soggy.
Place in HOT 500 degree oven for 10 minutes. Thin and crispy crust.

No sugar or kneading?

Here's a recipe that's similar to FoodieFanatic from Bon Appetit magazine. I've thought about trying it over the years but never remember to start it in time when we are going to have pizza. It gives a little more detail. Maybe this time.

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/no-knead-pizza-dough

RollBones, I've left starter for sour dough out several times over the years for 2-3 days in about 78 or so A/C house and we are still kicking around. You just don't want it to start growing mold or smelling really nasty. It will have a tangy smell and look a little funky but shouldn't be downright nasty smelling or moldy.

Here's a recipe that's similar to FoodieFanatic from Bon Appetit magazine. I've thought about trying it over the years but never remember to start it in time when we are going to have pizza. It gives a little more detail. Maybe this time.

No-Knead Pizza Dough Recipe - Bon Appétit

RollBones, I've left starter for sour dough out several times over the years for 2-3 days in about 78 or so A/C house and we are still kicking around. You just don't want it to start growing mold or smelling really nasty. It will have a tangy smell and look a little funky but shouldn't be downright nasty smelling or moldy.

Thanks. I have always just risen the dough until it doubles which only takes a little over one hour.
Is risen a word? It looks funny in text! :ermm:

I have found the less you mess with the dough (kneading it) the better texture IMO. However, if your recipe calls for kneading, then by all means knead it. This one you don't knead it, just gently shape into a ball before putting it in the fridge. When it comes out, dust it with a little flour and start stretching it. That's it.

Thanks. I have always just risen the dough until it doubles which only takes a little over one hour.

Yes, but I think you mean you let the dough rise. You created the conditions for it to rise but you didn't actually make it rise yourself ;)

Note that the recipe that FF posted only uses 1/4 tsp of yeast for enough dough to make 3 10"-12" pizzas. It's going to take more time for such a small amount of yeast to do its thing.

Also salt moderates the rising process. I've made breads which include a cautionary note about using too much salt, and 2 tsp of salt is a much higher proportion of salt to yeast than most yeast doughs have. That would seem to be part of the reason for the 9 hour rest/rise.

My ciabatta recipe has the salt added only after the first resting period. For that recipe, I make a poolish the night before and let it ferment overnight on the counter. I then mix that with the remaining flour, water and yeast just so it comes together and let it rest for 45 minutes. At this point I add the salt and knead for 10 minutes. It also has several additional resting and folding steps before portioning and shaping for loaves - it takes a good 4 hours for a batch of 3 loaves.

I am still having problems with pizza dough, I make it, buy it, and i still end up with pizza with thick/thicker pizza than I want. Every time I make pizza, the dough continues to go back into it self as i spread it out, then rises when I cook the pizza, and the crust ends up thick.HELP!!!!!

I am still having problems with pizza dough, I make it, buy it, and i still end up with pizza with thick/thicker pizza than I want. Every time I make pizza, the dough continues to go back into it self as i spread it out, then rises when I cook the pizza, and the crust ends up thick.HELP!!!!!

If the dough is shrinking back after you shape it, you have not let it rest long enough. If you start working the dough and it's shrinking back, go away. Have a drink. Then try again.

If the resulting crust is too thick, use less dough and stretch it thinner. Thinner than you think you have to.

Andy M. I bought pizza dough yesterday, let it sit out to room temp. started to shape pizza, by hand, rolling pin, ok, next time I will shape, let sit, shape and let it sit, and see how that goes. thanks for your reply.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom