Making pizza dough, thin and crispy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

callmaker60

Senior Cook
I have followed many pizza dough recipe's, and all turn out good, but I want thin and crispy, with the addition of yeast, it will always rise, and keep rising. I have tried using less and less yeast. I am assuming I have to add yeast, to get a good tasting dough. When I make it, I let it rise, punch it down, but it keeps rising, every time i punch it down. Any comments or suggestions. I just want thin and crispy pizza.

Last edited:
Not sure from your description. You could try using less dough and stretching it thinner.

a common practice to let the dough rise only once - punch it down - make it flat - top&bake.....

now, as to making it flat, there are several approaches which can affect thickness.

- the classic thrown pizza. recommended only for the experienced (g)
- the usual 'roll it out'
- the press it into shape with your fingers, do not roll....

one debate is that rolling it deflates the dough - drives the air pockets out and those bubbles are desirable.....which on a quest for thin, might not be your goal.

if you're going to roll it, I recommend a 'French' style pin - i.e. tapered. the conic shape 'self-steers' into a round - the cylindrical pin shape takes a little more care to get 'round' versus odder shapes - but I did it that way for years.

obviously the oven should be preheated, roll the dough, top it and directly into the upper part of the oven. the dough will not rise much from what you rolled out.

the other trick is to have the right amount of dough for the size of the pizza - too much dough volume rolled to the diameter will be thicker. one can of course continue to roll it thinner and just cut off the bits that hang over.

the crispy factor - bake on a pre-heated stone or plate - hot as you oven will go. mine goes to 500'F - however if I keep it at that temp I get some burning before it is fully cooked - so I knock the temp back to 450'F when the pie goes in the oven.

my tomato sauce - I prefer thick stewed tomato vs. a smooth sauce - is hot when it goes on the dough....

here's one sometimes overlooked in the crispy camp: when the bake is finished, remove the pie, slide it off the parchment, if you use that, I do - onto a wire cake rack or grate or anything but a smooth flat surface. the dough is still steaming when it comes out, and if set on a solid surface, the steam soggies the bottom. I give it 5 minutes on the rack, then to a cutting board. some people around here have nearly lost fingers because they can't wait for me to finish cutting . . .

and as the pix demonstrates, some ovens need a rotation mid-way. the crush on this side is a bit not browned enough, the 'backside' was perfect.

Attachments

• DSC_3895.jpg
    DSC_3895.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 291
  • DSC_3894.jpg
    DSC_3894.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 280
Joy of Cooking page 752/3 has the recipe I follow BUT I add about 1/4C of 'high gluten flour to make the dough really stretchy. After I roll out the rounds and they have rested a bit I bake them on a hot pizza stone. The rounds will bubble up dramatically when they first go onto the stone. I just flatten out the air pockets. I flip them once and remove from the oven. I usually make about six medium size pizzas. By double sided baking them they end up very thin and crisp. Not broken glass crisp though. They can cool on the counter until I build each one then into the oven. The heat has been turned down so the bottom doesn't scorch. When the toppings are nice and bubbly they are ready to eat.

I use both the roll-out and stretch methods, start with stretching and finish with rolling to get it nice and thin. The crust then goes out to the grill immediately to get cooked lightly on both sides. We pre-cook however many crusts we are making then top and finish cooking on the grill.

We do the same thing if we cook in the oven. Crank the oven up as high as possible.

Much prefer grilled with a wood fire though. Temp gets up to the mid to high 600s in the BGE, pegs the gauge on the Weber so not really sure how hot there. As close to a wood burning pizza oven you can get without actually having one.

As long as you cook immediately after rolling/shaping the dough you won't get much of a rise, if at all if you cook it at high temps.

I'd recommend using usual amount of yeast, but do not let it rise. Mix, roll out, stretch and bake.

I'd recommend using usual amount of yeast, but do not let it rise. Mix, roll out, stretch and bake.

I don't think I'd do that. You need to let it rise at least once to develop flavor in the dough. A lot of recipes let it rise overnight in the fridge. I've also noted quite a few pizza joints on shows like Diners, Drive-ins and Dives say they let it sit overnight but I don't think any of them use it without at least 1 rise.

I don't think I'd do that. You need to let it rise at least once to develop flavor in the dough. A lot of recipes let it rise overnight in the fridge. I've also noted quite a few pizza joints on shows like Diners, Drive-ins and Dives say they let it sit overnight but I don't think any of them use it without at least 1 rise.

You might be right, but have to try something.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Rolling it thin, then placing it on a preheated pizza stone works for me no matter which dough Im using.
The heat from the stone immediately crisps up the crust. Kinda sets it at the thickness its put in, allows little time to rise anymore.
Dont overload with sauce, or can become soggy.
Gotta watch closely, cooks quick and can easily burn.

I agree with the one rise, then punch down and shape your crust. I never worry too much about perfect roundness. Mine come in many odd shapes, but that doesn't seem to affect the eatability. I also make small pies, no more than 6 to 8 inches, so I can do 4 individual pizzas at once on my 16" square stone.

I let everyone in the group "decorate" his pie as he or she likes it, then pop them on the stone (preheated to at least 500° for 45 minutes to an hour) using a piece of parchment. The parchment makes it easier to get the raw pizza on the stone without any spills along the way.

For chewy, crispy dough refrigerate the dough overnight and NEVER roll it out. Hand stretching only. Being Sicilian, I've made my share of pizza over the years from deep dish to cracker thin. All dough styles require specific amounts of yeast, flour and water. You name the dough, I have the recipe! I'd be happy to post them.

For chewy, crispy dough refrigerate the dough overnight and NEVER roll it out. Hand stretching only. Being Sicilian, I've made my share of pizza over the years from deep dish to cracker thin. All dough styles require specific amounts of yeast, flour and water. You name the dough, I have the recipe! I'd be happy to post them.

Okay. I need a reliable dough to make NY style pizza.
I have never had much luck making my own dough. I usually buy it from Publix. Its great BTW. But its also expensive.
So, I'm ready for your recipe or instructions. I have AP flour and yeast on hand.

.... I have AP flour and yeast on hand.

oops. anymore I only do pizza at home. haven't bought any frozen stuff in - don't know, can't remember...

I use Jamie Oliver's recipe from here:
Basic Pizza Dough Bread Recipes | Jamie Oliver Recipes
but watch the quantity - it's sized for 4 biggie pies.
for a single crust, 165g bread flour + 115 g semolina + 148 g water

I use KA bread flour, and you can get semolina in Bob's Red Mill brand.
and for max crisp, go light on the oil.

Recipe for thin crust

3/3/4 C all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon yeast
2 teaspoons sea salt
1-1/2 c. warm TAP water

Mix dry ingredients.
Add water.
Stir just until incorporated
Shape into ball
Place in a bowl; cover tightly with plastic wrap
Leave it on the counter in a draft free area for NINE hours
Do NOT touch it!
After nine hours, uncover and cut into 3 pieces.
Form them into balls, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight
Dust the balls in flour and stretch to desired shape DO NOT ROLL OUT!
Place on a peel covered in corn meal or flour and add toppings
NOTE: I use a sheet pan. Rub it with olive oil, sprinkle with corn meal, place stretched dough in pan and add toppings. Be light with the sauce as too much will make the dough soggy.
Place in HOT 500 degree oven for 10 minutes. Thin and crispy crust.

We need, I think, to remember what causes the dough to rise. Yeast is a living organism. It feeds on sugars and simple starches. as it feeds, it releases both acid, and carbon dioxide into the dough. The gluten in the dough traps that gas and forms millions of little inflated balloon structures in the dough, causing it to rise. The acid, and flavor of the yeast come into play and give the dough that familiar yeast flavor. After the dough has risen one time, the flavor is developed. At that time, if the dough is hand tossed, rolled, or pushed with the finger tips, the carbon dioxide balloons pop, releasing the gas into the air. The dough becomes inflated. If left alone, the yeast will continue to feed, release more gas and acid, and the dough will again rise. But yeast is killed by heat. So, after the first rise, if the dough is deflated, shaped, and immediately place into a very hot oven, the yeast will be destroyed before leavening the dough again. The flavor is retained, and if cooked properly, then rested so that the entire crust bottom is open to the air, to allow any steam to escape, then the rustst will be thin and crispy.

I hope your pizza comes out perfect, with a perfectly crispy, thin crust.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I've used this recipe many times and perfect crust every time. Lots of different methods and where you live can affect the results...humidity, altitude, temperature, etc. Just have to keep trying until you find one that works.

.... I have AP flour and yeast on hand.

oops. anymore I only do pizza at home. haven't bought any frozen stuff in - don't know, can't remember...

Actually Publix makes it in the store and puts it out under refrigeration for one day, then they freeze whats left and sell it frozen.
Its very good.

Recipe for thin crust

3/3/4 C all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon yeast
2 teaspoons sea salt
1-1/2 c. warm TAP water

Mix dry ingredients.
Add water.
Stir just until incorporated
Shape into ball
Place in a bowl; cover tightly with plastic wrap
Leave it on the counter in a draft free area for NINE hours
Do NOT touch it!
After nine hours, uncover and cut into 3 pieces.
Form them into balls, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight
Dust the balls in flour and stretch to desired shape DO NOT ROLL OUT!
Place on a peel covered in corn meal or flour and add toppings
NOTE: I use a sheet pan. Rub it with olive oil, sprinkle with corn meal, place stretched dough in pan and add toppings. Be light with the sauce as too much will make the dough soggy.
Place in HOT 500 degree oven for 10 minutes. Thin and crispy crust.

Resting 9 hours at what ambient temperature?
I live in the south. Its usually quite hot here in the summer.
Your in the Pacific NW (beautiful country BTW) and I am in a different climate. Would you still go with 9 hours?
Thanks for the recipe!

I've used this recipe many times and perfect crust every time. Lots of different methods and where you live can affect the results...humidity, altitude, temperature, etc. Just have to keep trying until you find one that works.

I guess thats my answer? If I must keep trying, it will be much easier to go to Publix. :LOL:
I mean thats why I asked so i can quit trying and start doing. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom