Coca d´espinacas ... Spinach Pizettas ...
THE COCA, A MALLORCA FLAT BREAD which may or may not be leavened with yeast, and can be any shape you please, oval, rectangle, ciruclar or square is distinguished from the Italian Pizza at first glance by the absence of cheese.
Traditionalists will tell you that a true coca is simply flour and water dough allowed to ferment in the sun, and kneaded into a ball, patted out into a disc of a size suitable for a single portion, salted, drizzled in Evoo Olive Oil and baked in the embers of a goat herder´s camp fire.
This version is topped with fresh spinach, pinenuts and garlic.
The Dough ...
3/4 cup bread flour
1 six ounce fresh yeast cake or 1 package dried
about 3.5 tblsps of water
1 tblsp Extra virgin olive oil
The Topping ...
9 ounces spinach leaves fresh, rinsed, dried and shredded
2 large scallions snipped finely
1 fine chubby garlic clove skinned and cut into slivers
1 tblsp pine nuts
1 tblsp raisins plumped in a bit of red wine
Evoo for drizzling
salt and pepper to taste
1. sift the flour with a little salt into a warm bowl
2. dissolve the yeast in warm water and then stir in the Evoo
3. sprinkle with a little flour and leave it for about 15 minutes in a warm place until frothy
4. make a well in middle of flour and pour in the yeast mixture
5. knead well until the dough forms a ball which leaves the sides of the bowl clean
6. from the dough, form a smooth ball and place back in the bowl and cover with a plastic wrap and leave in warm place until doubled in size, an hour and a half, depending on weather ( yes weather )...
7. Preheat oven to 450 farenheit degrees
8. knead the dough and get rid of air bubbles
9. cut into quarters and pat out to fill a baking tray at 1/2 inch thick
10. spread the spinach, salt, top with layer of scallions, and sprinkle with garlic, pinenuts, and optional raisins or tomatoes and drizzle with Evoo and leave for 10 mins. to rise again
11. bake 15 mins - 18 mins until crust is puffy and blistered at edges
12. sprinkle with a little more Evoo before serving
13. let cool a few minutes and slice with a Pizza cutter
Serve with a Wine of Choice and fragrant tomatoes
*** One can shred some Mahón, Menorca Balearic Cheese on top or Reggiano Parmesano if they wish.
Written by: Margaux Cintrano - copyrighted 1994.