My first attempt at Stromboli

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moose13

Assistant Cook
This was fantastic and i will make it again.
Ham, salami, pepperoni, provolone, mozzarella, and a little leftover chopped onion, mushroom and black olive.
With a side of home made pizza sauce.
Very easy and very tasty!

Attachments

• DSC06545_2 17-25-03.JPG
    DSC06545_2 17-25-03.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 204
  • DSC06546 11-49-28.jpg
    DSC06546 11-49-28.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 280
I'm drooling Moose !! I could dig right into that right now. :yum:

Can you tell me the difference between Stromboli and Calzone?

I like that it looks easy to eat.

I'm drooling Moose !! I could dig right into that right now. :yum:

Can you tell me the difference between Stromboli and Calzone?

I like that it looks easy to eat.

Thanks!
Very similar. Pizza, calzone and stromboli.
Is kind of like burrito, taco, tostada.

Same ingredients, different way of going about it.

Stromboli is layed out flat like a pizza, then rolled. Like a big jelly roll of dough, meat and cheese.
Stromboli usually has meat as the main ingredients. Deli meats. Ham, salami, pepperoni etc. Meat and cheese. Very little vegetables. Calzones sometimes have ricotta cheese in them. All very similar.

Calzone- very little meat and they generally use riccota, no red sauce.
Bolis - Lots of meat, motz, no riccota and red sauce!;)

At least that is my version of the two.

Calzone- very little meat and they generally use riccota, no red sauce.
Bolis - Lots of meat, motz, no riccota and red sauce!;)

At least that is my version of the two.

It seems there are lots of different takes on what is what. I don't have a clue what's what. I've never seen a calzone or a boli with ricotta. I've been served calzones with red sauce. I think it's all screwed up and the local pizza shops call them whatever the like.

It seems there are lots of different takes on what is what. I don't have a clue what's what. I've never seen a calzone or a boli with ricotta. I've been served calzones with red sauce. I think it's all screwed up and the local pizza shops call them whatever the like.

I have never seen them with the sauce inside, always served on the side.
I think it depends where in the country you are, just like pizza is very different in different locations. Its all good!

I should have clarified the red sauce thing as being on the inside. Both are served with it on the side. My guess is that there are as many zone and boli variations as there are Margherita pizza versions.:ohmy:

my adopted italian grandfather used to call me stromboli. it's italian american slang for all twisted up (in the head).

so, a stromboli is pizza dough rolled out to large squarish shape, then spread with ingredients (as varied as any pizza topping) then rolled up like a jelly roll forming a loaf, as moose said. it's then baked until golden and the dough is cooked through.

btw, nice job moose! that looks delicious.

a calzone is a round pizza dough where half is spread with pizza like ingredients (the classic being ricotta, mozzarella, and ham), then it's folded over to form a half moon. the edges are crimped and it's either deep fried or baked.

both are optionally served with a side of sauce for dipping.

Wow, that is off the yummy charts! I have made a similar thing (but only it was a calzone) and included marinated artichoke hearts. I like the look of yours better!

Thanks for all the great replies!
What a cool place with some cool folks!

This was a pocket sandwich I made once. It's kind of the same idea. This was made with a tortilla, though. I call it the antipasto wrap. It's been awhile since I made it, but I think it had ham, olives, artichoke hearts, thin slice of salami, a bit of mozzarella/cheddar cheese and a iceberg lettuce for crunch.

img_1117829_0_13a0db8feadb1444fc6a47ab7a6f015c.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom