My First Successful Pizza Dough Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeroMendoza

Assistant Cook
I would like to disclose that the original recipe is from sugarspunrun.com written by Sam Merritt and I just altered the seasonings a bit.

Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Rising time: 30 minutes

Servings: 1 10-12" pizza dough

Ingredients:
2-2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour or bread flour (divided)
1 packet instant yeast
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
3/4 tsp. salt
1/8 - 1/4 tsp. garlic powder and/or dried basil leaves, dried oregano leaves, chopped dried bayleaf, dried thyme
2 tbsp olive oil + additional
3/4 cup warm water

Instructions:
1. Combine 1 cup of flour, instant yeast, sugar and salt in a large bowl. If desired, add garlic powder and the herb mixture (highly recommend) at this point as well.
2. Add olive oil and warm water and use a wooden spoon to stir very well.
3. Gradually add another 1 cup of flour. Add any additional flour as needed stirring until dough is forming into a cohesive, elastic ball and is beginning to pull away from the sides of the bowl. The dough will still be slightly sticky but still should be manageable with your hands.
4. Drizzle a separate, large, clean bowl generously with olive oil and use a pastry brush to brush up the sides of the bowl.
5. Lightly dust your hands with flour and form your pizza dough into a round ball and transfer to your olive oil-brushed bowl. Use your hands to roll the pizza dough along the inside of the bowl until it is coated in olive oil, then cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and place it in a warm place.
6. Allow dough to rise for 30 minutes or until doubled in size. If you intend to bake this dough into a pizza, the original author also recommends preheating your oven to 425F (215C) at this point so that it will have reached the desired temperature once your pizza is ready to bake. Personally I preheated just before starting the next step, but it depends on your oven.
7. Once the dough has risen, use your hands to gently deflate it and transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead briefly until smooth. (3-5 minutes).
8. Use either your hands or a rolling pin to work the dough into 12" circle.
9. Transfer the dough to a parchment paper lined pizza pan and either pinch the edges or fold them over to form a crust.
10. Drizzle olive oil (about 1 tbsp) over the top of the pizza and use your pastry brush the entire surface of the pizza (including the crust) with olive oil.
11. Use a fork to poke holes all over the center of the pizza to keep the dough from bubbling in the oven.
12. Add desired toppings and bak in a 425F (215C) preheated oven for 13-15 minutes or until toppings are golden brown.

I hope this helps at least one of you.
Best wishes,
Vero

Back
Top Bottom