"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pizza & Focaccia

Old 03-03-2013, 07:10 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I live in an Italian town and have never seen any other than tomato based sauce. And the cheese has always gone on the very top. Sauce, toppings, then shredded cheese.
Thanks.

Sometime, i do mix them up a little. Being an asian, i do like to put some white onion and cut chilli (about 1/3 inch thick) on top of the cheese as I like them a little char grilled.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:59 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post
Thanks.

Sometime, i do mix them up a little. Being an asian, i do like to put some white onion and cut chilli (about 1/3 inch thick) on top of the cheese as I like them a little char grilled.
There is no "carved in stone" rules regarding what goes on a pizza. It is all personal choice. In Hawaii, they put pineapple on theirs along with Spam.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:30 PM   #13
Master Chef

mj1, where are you, anywhere close Target, they have special for Pizza yeast with the recipe on the back of the package, it is 30 minute Pizza from start to end. Doesn't get any easier.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:13 PM   #14
Executive Chef

2 1/4 teaspoon yeast
1 cup warm water
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 1/2 to 3 1/2 cups flour (I use a mixture of whole wheat and all purpose)

As far as when to put the cheese on, I usually cheese it, put on toppings, and put a little more cheese on top.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:49 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

You can usually buy pizza dough from a pizza place.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:08 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Or any supermarket. Specially if they have an in house bakery.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:11 PM   #17
Master Chef

Juniper, there is in fact a white sauce for Pizza, but I have never made it, but the one I had while in Rome was awesome. As far as order of things yes usually it is sauce, stuff, cheese, however being, just like you a father, of 5 who cooks, in a hurry I have made mistakes and put cheese first and then the toppings. Haven't had anybody complain. So if once in a while you put the cheese instead of toppings or toppings instead of cheese, I am sure your family will still be happy.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
mj1, where are you, anywhere close Target, they have special for Pizza yeast with the recipe on the back of the package, it is 30 minute Pizza from start to end. Doesn't get any easier.
I may have to pick up some of that. Got a project I am working on (crawfish stuffed bread) and do not want to spend all day working a dough.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:31 AM   #19
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Juniper, there is in fact a white sauce for Pizza, but I have never made it, but the one I had while in Rome was awesome. As far as order of things yes usually it is sauce, stuff, cheese, however being, just like you a father, of 5 who cooks, in a hurry I have made mistakes and put cheese first and then the toppings. Haven't had anybody complain. So if once in a while you put the cheese instead of toppings or toppings instead of cheese, I am sure your family will still be happy.

thats so very true. a little improvisation will always keep things interesting.

As for the pizza dough, I usually add some mix herbs into the flour before I add the dough mixture to give the pizza bread a little herb aroma. my kid really loves it.

May I know what sort of pizza sauce do you guys put on your pizza? Do you used to ready made from cans or do you have some special way of making your own?
Old 03-04-2013, 02:38 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

italian american pizza sauce is usually a little on the sweet side here in nyc, and often contains a good amount of oregano and basil, but not much else.

unless the pizza makers are originally from the other side of the adriatic. i've found "yugoslav" pizzas are heavy on herbs (oregano, parsley, rosemary, thyme, etc.) and are more acidic.

i prefer the italian american style.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner, crust, pizza, recipe