"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pizza & Focaccia
Old 03-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #21
Certifiable Executive Chef
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by Juniper View Post

May I know what sort of pizza sauce do you guys put on your pizza? Do you used to ready made from cans or do you have some special way of making your own?

I make both red and white sauced pizzas. I avoid canned pizza sauce like the plague. It's usually sweetened and has "boiled' tasted.

For red sauce I use a simple can of tomato sauce w/o seasoning and add seasonings sprinkled directly onto the sauce after it's spread on the crust. This keeps the moisture content down which is a good thing. I usually use ground fennel seed, dry or fresh oregano and basil and granulated garlic.

For white sauce I make a garlic white sauce and keep it pretty thin. Here's a recipe:
Make a roux: 2 tbsp butter, 3 tbsp flour

add: 1 1/4 cup milk, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp pepper, 2-3 garlic cloves, minced (not crushed)

Cook stirring constantly for a few mins until thickened. Take off heat and add 1/2 cup Parmesan shredded cheese and 2 tbsp fresh basil, finely chopped. Cool this down some before putting it on dough.
In either case the assembly order from bottom layer to top is: Crust, Sauce, Cheese and toppings last. If you put toppings under the cheese they steam and make your pizza soggy.

Cook your pizza as hot as your oven will go or consider using a grill that has a lid and a pizza stone.

Forget love... I'd rather fall in chocolate!
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:02 AM   #22
Sous Chef
You can make a passable Pizza base by using a scone recipe and rolling as thin/thick as you like. Easy as no yeast is required
. 8ozs self-raising flour OR plain flour plus 3tesps baking powder
2ozs Butter ( butter IS best for this)
Rub in until the mix resembles breadcrumbs
Add just enough cold milk to bring together to form a ball
Roll out as you wish and bake as usual.

Celtic cook

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote

beginner, crust, pizza, recipe