No Knead Pizza Dough

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taurus430

Assistant Cook
I just made a pizza using the no knead dough from Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day. I'm not a fan of no knead dough for my pizza dough, but I was going to try one more time. It came out really good! Although I have their book, I got the half quantities from Joe Valencic's site, which I find very informative. I did not use a peel as with a wet dough, that could get messy, so I made it as in the past, on a Pyrex cookie sheet, sprayed with oil and dusted with corn meal. I've tried different methods for pizza of dough, baking etc. One conclusion, no matter whether I use a pan, CI pizza pan, stone, I love homemade pizza better than from a pizzeria.

I put semolina on the peel instead of corn meal. I don't like the corn meal flavor with the pizza and the semolina seems to slide the dough off better.

I just made a pizza using the no knead dough from Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day. I'm not a fan of no knead dough for my pizza dough, but I was going to try one more time. It came out really good! Although I have their book, I got the half quantities from Joe Valencic's site, which I find very informative. I did not use a peel as with a wet dough, that could get messy, so I made it as in the past, on a Pyrex cookie sheet, sprayed with oil and dusted with corn meal. I've tried different methods for pizza of dough, baking etc. One conclusion, no matter whether I use a pan, CI pizza pan, stone, I love homemade pizza better than from a pizzeria.

I made some experiments, with 1) ready "balls" of no knead dough, 2) ready "sheets" of no knead dough, and 3) specific pizza mixtures requiring some kneading. At the end I opted for the no knead sheets: less work and the outcome is more or less of the same quality. Obviously, you have a far better result if you prepare your dough, but I'm so lazy...
However, my ranking is:

#1 - eating pizza at the pizzeria
#2 - homemade pizza with homemade dough
#3 - homemade pizza with "easy" dough
#4 - eating pizza at home delivered from the pizzeria

I've made three batches of "no knead" in the past two weeks. For the first I used Pilsbury AP, the second King Arthur's bread flour. I made both the same evening in order to compare. Life happened and we couldn't make the pizza the next day after the 18 hours of rising so I did refrigerate per directions in the book. After one day in the fridge the King Arthur's was easier to handle than the other and definitely rose better while cooking on the stone. However, we made the rest of the pizzas the next day the the exact opposite happened. I swear I kept them organized to know which was which.
I made another batch 3 days ago and cooked after the 18 hours. I didn't leave enough time after making the 4 balls of dough so the first 3 pizzas were smaller, denser and didn't cook all the way through. By the time I got to the 4th, the dough had been in ball form for close to an hour (as recommended) and was much easier to form and bubbled up nicely for our tastes.
All in all this recipe is the easiest, tastiest, most air bubble in the crust (grew up in Pittsburgh and that's how every mom and pop dough is) that we could find.
Best topping so far was canned tomatoes crushed in my hands, small amount of EVOO, slivers of garlic, slivers of onion, cheap shredded mozz, and cappicola.

Back
Top Bottom