Pizza, 1st try?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
I was all set to make my 1st pizza tonight...

now looking at all the web, I'm a bit daunted..

I don't have a stone and all that.

Can't I just stretch the dough into a square cookie sheet, top, and then bake? I'm pretty sure that's how my Mom used to make it for us years ago..

Sheesh, the recipies make it look so complicated!

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.

You can use a cookie sheet and make a rectangular pizza (or a round one for that matter).

Pizza is just thin bread dough with stuff on it. It's really not as difficult as it looks.

As Andy said, dont get overwhelmed by the internet. Spread the dough, add some sauce, cheese and bake as directed. May take a little experimenting since different doughs, pans, ovens..... vary. But once you get used to your own situation, experiment with different sauces, cheeses, toppings, thin crust, thick crust ..... In the worst case, if it doesnt work out, just keep your local pizzeria's # handy, take in a pie, and try again another day. Ive had to do that many times until i got it right, and im not embarrassed to admit it :)

I have a stone, but the kids actually prefer it when I make it in the cookie sheet. On the stone I have a thinner crisper crust and they like the 'pan' crust that comes from the cookie sheet.
I used to buy the crust mixes from the store, mix it up, then spread it in a large cookie sheet until I was able to get it too completely cover the bottom and even pinch up the sides a bit. Then I just add sauce, toppings, and cheese. Just don't add a ton of sauce or it can be a bit soggy.
I also make a Chicago Style deep dish in my cast iron pan, that is another way to make it. Make sure the pan is well seasoned and add in just enough oil to wetten up the bottom and sides. Put the dough in and work it so it is all the way up the sides evenly. We then add in our toppings (meat is cooked first), then cheese, then add some sauce on top. Not a ton, but completely covering the cheese. Then I like to put sliced tomatoes on top, and when it comes out of the oven sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese, cut and serve.

After you've stretched your dough, you can put it in the oven for couple of minutes before adding your sauce, meat and cheese.

The only difference I notice in the stone is that the pizza crust, is a little cripier.

I make homemade pizza all the time on a cookie sheet. Actually, an airbake sheet (because that its what is we have) and it comes out just fine. The only complaints I get are about the anchovys, but that isn't the cookie sheets fault! :LOL:

I am always meaning to get a stone and a peel, but never seem to get around to it.

you don't need a peel if you use baking paper taped down and roll your dough out on that.....then you can safely transfer your dough to the pan or stone and the paper won't interfere with the cooking of the crust...I did order a peel but unfortunately the pole was too long as my island was in the way.......

you don't need a peel if you use baking paper taped down and roll your dough out on that.....then you can safely transfer your dough to the pan or stone and the paper won't interfere with the cooking of the crust...I did order a peel but unfortunately the pole was too long as my island was in the way.......

Shorten the handle. A saw and some sandpaper should get you back in business. I love my peel. They make peels with handles as short as 6-1/2".

When Buck and I made pizza it depended on what we wanted. Sometimes we used a cookie sheet, turned upside down. If we wanted a "stone," we used a large clay flower pot dish, which lives in the oven.

I use the flower pot dish as my stone for breads, too.

a teacher that I worked with also used her broiler drip pan to spread the dough out on.......as for the peeler that has a way too long pole I'm waiting for my son to get around to it.......he said that he would as he loves homemade pizza

Ditto here for cookie sheets. I actually use half sheet pans from Sam's club. My stone makes too small a pizza for my grown sons to eat. :pig:

Also, not that most people want to wait, if you allow your dough to rest overnight in the fridge, it is easier to roll out but it's not an absolute necessity........will last for several days or you can freeze the dough (I moisten the dough with some olive oil).......if you freeze it you need to allow about two hours to defrost and come to room temps

I was all set to make my 1st pizza tonight...

now looking at all the web, I'm a bit daunted..

I don't have a stone and all that.

Can't I just stretch the dough into a square cookie sheet, top, and then bake? I'm pretty sure that's how my Mom used to make it for us years ago..

Sheesh, the recipies make it look so complicated!

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.

The easy answer is OF COURSE you can! I made pizza on a rectangular cookie sheet before they started marketing round pans for pizza, and looooong before they started insisting how much better a "stone" made them.

I still make mine the "old-fashioned" way. ;)

Have at it, and come back and tell us how it went -- how you liked it.

giggler, they are right! My biggest problem with making pizza was finding a sauce that I liked. That is the real key to pizza in my humble opinion.

So true, a bad sauce just ruins it for me, but so do cheap ingredients! Gotta have a good crust, darn good sauce, real cheese and quality toppings.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom