Pizza Buns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rocklobster

Master Chef
I am making an attempt at pizza buns. I am using the same technique as cinamon buns but the filling is going to be garlic butter, marinara sauce, bacon, pepperoni, parmesan and mozza cheese. Here it is in progress. I will add a photo or two of the finished product. Not sure how it is going to turn out. I am going to add more mozzerella near the end to melt and brown on top of each bun.

Attachments

• 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:
Hmmmm. Here is the finished product. I'm not sure what to think. The flavor is there, but it is a lot of bread. Maybe they will be better suited cold. I can slice them across and use them as a sandwhich bun. Maybe put some salami, roasted eggplant and peppers, etc....
Thanks for gawkin'!

Attachments

• DSC00110.jpg
    DSC00110.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 265
Sounds like a great idea!

Is the problem that there's not enough flavor for that amount of bread? Maybe you could make them smaller or add more filling, or both.

I think that is the problem Andy. I was afraid to add too much sauce because it runs out the bottom and I didn't know if it would burn or end up with a soggy mess. Same goes for other ingredients. I was concerned that the inside wouldn't bake through. All in all, they are good, but not neccessarily a meal in itself, like a pizza slice would be. If you are a huge white bread fan, you would probably love them.
They certainly won't go uneaten. lol

Last edited:
Did you use pizza dough?

Maybe if you made the sauce really thick, it would stay better. Alternatively, You could roll the dough really thin so you end up with a thinner roll with a higher % of filling.

Rolling or stretching the dough out to a thinner consistency should solve the bread problem. The bonus of doing that is you will have more dough for more rolls. I would think the dough would absorb any extra sauce before it would leak out.

Very valiant effort. They would probably be fine served warm with some marinara on top.

You might make the white bread fade into the background if you knead some items/herbs into the dough.

Brushing them with garlic infused oil when they come out of the oven might also help.

Keep trying!

I think you will come up with a winner!

pacanis said:
Very valiant effort. They would probably be fine served warm with some marinara on top.

I was thinking you could have a bowl of marinate for dipping. Sounds like you and I are thinking alike.

chopper said:
I was thinking you could have a bowl of marinate for dipping. Sounds like you and I are thinking alike.

The auto correct changed it to marinate. I meant marinara.

I was thinking either brush the top with garlic butter/oil or with a thin amount of pizza sauce (kinda like putting a glaze or icing on cinnamon rolls). You could also sprinkle the top with grated parmesan or some grated mozzeralla.

How fun is that, Rocklobster!! Great idea, they look great. Maybe toast the pepperoni and bacon first into a crumble to give the soft bun's filling a toasty pizza crunch?

I am in the "putting something on top" camp. Maybe even a little sauce, and mozz. . .then throw under the broiler to melt/brown a little. It's like frosting for 'em!

Back
Top Bottom