Pizza cheese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

callmaker60

Senior Cook
I know mozzarella cheese is the standard for pizza, but wonder if any one uses or can recommend another tasty cheese for my pizza.

I know mozzarella cheese is the standard for pizza, but wonder if any one uses or can recommend another tasty cheese for my pizza.

A lot of folks I know put a generous helping of Parmesan along with the Moz. Even Romano or Asiago cheeses. They both have a stronger flavor to them. And you will be sticking to the Italian start of the pizza. Just grab a handful or two and be generous with it. If you buy a hunk of these cheeses, you can shave off pieces of them and place on the pizza on top of the Moz. :angel:

In addition to lots of mozzarella I like to add this blend...

img_1451403_0_c15e8a26d45beabfd9223f61b301bf3c.jpg

Kayelle, that works only if you like Asiago. To my taste buds, it tastes like locker-room socks smell. :sick:

- I've had pizza with a mozz/cheddar mix that was tasty.
- I've put Fontina cheese on my pizza when I make them using Naan bread or Boboli crusts. Fontina is especially good on a white sauce pizza with spinach/black olives/mushrooms.
- Feta is good on that kind of pizza combo, too.
- Then there is St. Louis style with "Provel" cheese, a processed cheese made from provolone, Swiss, and white cheddar. Haven't had it for decades, but it's really good.

Years ago there was a pizzeria in Missoula Montana that used mild cheddar on their pizzas, at least I think that's what it was. It was yellow/orange anyway, and was not as rubbery as mozzarella.

We make some specialty pizzas that use different cheeses. One comes to mind that uses gorgonzola.:yum:

You can put pretty much any kind of cheese on pizza. I've used everything from goat cheese to asiago to pepper jack.

One of my favorite pizzas has a sauce made with Frank's red hot, and is topped with buffalo chicken strips, blue cheese, black olives, and onion.

You're only limited by your imagination.

I always use differing cheeses for pizza and frankly most anything calling for cheese.
Right now i have a combination of mozzarella, Pecorinno Romano, sharp cheddar, and Comte all shredded and in a plastic freezer bag.
If I have to pull out the box grater, I just grate a good bit for the dish and some more for another dish. Since i keep all the cheese I have in one gallon freezer bag, wrapped separately, they are right there to grate. All of them.
I even use the mixture for grilled cheese or to top pasta.

I never use pre-grated cheese. I understand they add something to keep the cheese from sticking to itself and that ingredient has a flavor of its own.
Not sure how accurate that is though. But the notion is quite prevalent, with most professional chefs.

I never use pre-grated cheese. I understand they add something to keep the cheese from sticking to itself and that ingredient has a flavor of its own.
Not sure how accurate that is though. But the notion is quite prevalent, with most professional chefs.

They add cornstarch. It doesn't have any flavor, but some say it interferes with the melting properties of the cheese. I haven't found that to be true. I usually grate cheese myself at home, but when we cook for 25-30 people for DH's training class capstone event, we get big packages of pre-shredded mozzarella for lasagna and cheddar and Monterey Jack for Mexican dishes. Everything melts fine.

They add cornstarch. It doesn't have any flavor, but some say it interferes with the melting properties of the cheese. I haven't found that to be true. I usually grate cheese myself at home, but when we cook for 25-30 people for DH's training class capstone event, we get big packages of pre-shredded mozzarella for lasagna and cheddar and Monterey Jack for Mexican dishes. Everything melts fine.

I use both shredded cheese and block cheese. Never had a melting or flavor problem.

I use both shredded cheese and block cheese. Never had a melting or flavor problem.

Me either. Although I know for sure that low fat shredded cheese is worthless for melting.

We often grate our own block cheese but we don't buy four or five different kinds of Italian cheeses. The packaged blend works well for that reason, and melts just fine.

Last edited:
Me either. Although I know for sure that low fat shredded cheese is worthless for melting.

We often grate our own block cheese but we don't buy five differt kinds of Italian cheeses. The packaged blend works well for that reason, and melts just fine.

I bet that's quite tasty :yum:

If you think of the bottom crust as the first slice of bread for a sandwich, then you can use your imagination and put anything you want to on it. Just fold the slice in half and you have a whole half of a sandwich. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom