Pizza Crust

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sicilian

Assistant Cook
1 1/2 cup AP Flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees)
2 tsp active dry yeast
4 tbsp olive oil
1 pizza stone
(Note: if you double this recipe, do not change yeast quanity - leave yeast 2 tsp)

Even with the amount of flour, this is a nick thick crust, even if rolled out, gets thicker in oven.

Put yeast/water, in bowl, let ferminate.

Mix flour, salt - than add yeast/water, mix/knead on floured surface knead til firm, and no longer sticky. Rinse/dry mixing bowl, spread 1 tbsp oil all around, turn ball upside down - so all parts are oiled, cover bowl, let dough rise for 1 hr, or overnight. Now lay flour on surface, roll out dough, I roll it out on a pizza stone. After rolled out, put 1 tbsp on pizza stone, spread out, and 1 tbsp on bottom of crust, spread it out, be careful not cut the dough. Should be ready to go in the oven. (To give nice authentic crust, I fold edges over all around, and put a glaze, such as water, or egg, little oil, so the edges brown, and act as a crust.) I cook this at 375 - 450. Expirment, if you like it real crispy, cook it at 450, my oven is a hotter oven. Hard to tell for everyone else. I cook for the first 10 - 15 minutes, pull out, put my toppings: sauce, cheese, red peppers, olives. Than finish off the cooking. It depends what degrees you cook it, 450 for crispier. Anywhere from 10 - 25 minutes. 375 Is about 15 - 35, minutes.

Good luck.

Chicago, that's a good recipe. I made pizzas with my kids and first grandson, but my shoulders have given out, and can't knead dough anymore. You can only do so much with the Kitchen Aid, and then you have to slap it on the counter and work it some more.
But my "little Jesse" is 8 now, and big for his age. We may give it a go some time when G'pa is home.

I always used a cookie sheet, but thought the crust would be better on a pizza stone, so I got one. But I had trouble with my pizza sticking to the stone.
Any suggestions?

could you sprinkle corn meal over the stone before adding the dough?? That could help with the sticking.

Constance said:
Chicago, that's a good recipe. I made pizzas with my kids and first grandson, but my shoulders have given out, and can't knead dough anymore. You can only do so much with the Kitchen Aid, and then you have to slap it on the counter and work it some more.
But my "little Jesse" is 8 now, and big for his age. We may give it a go some time when G'pa is home.

I always used a cookie sheet, but thought the crust would be better on a pizza stone, so I got one. But I had trouble with my pizza sticking to the stone.
Any suggestions?

I'ma be totally honest, I can't atest to what whoever said earlier, abou the cornmeal sorry, enver tried it. But for me, I roll it out on the pizza stone, fold the edges over, water/glaze them, for a nice brown thick crust. Cook it for about 10-15 minute's, take it out, of the oven, gently take it off of the stone for a second, and put alittle flour, or oil underneath (good if you have someone to help you.) Than I add my toppings/sauce/reglaze crust, and than it shouldnt stick. But be careful, i'd oil the stone, before you put it on the oven, cause it get's real hot. Flour is your best bet, (never tried cornmeal)

I use flour, but I have also used cornmeal. Cornmeal acts like little ball-bearings. Don't be afraid to go a little heavy with the flour. If it sticks try using dental floss to slide under the pizza.

I've had really good luck with cornmeal. I put some on the peel then build the pizza on it. Then it slides nicely onto the stone and keeps the crust from sticking to the stone as well. I never oil the stone.

Have you tried leaving the pizza stone in the oven and pre-heating it? That's traditionally how pizza stones are used.

Besides making a puffier/crispier crust, it prolongs the life of the stone. Stones aren't engineered to take from a hot oven directly into a potentially cool room. The thermal shock could cause them to crack.

I leave the stone in the oven all the time, incluiding the self-cleaning cycle. When not making pizza, I flip it over. Face down it stays cleaner.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom