"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pizza & Focaccia

Old 09-30-2006, 09:20 AM   #11
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

Well, made my pizza last night, - one looked like the state of Texas the other like Florida ! Dough was a little dry, hard to spread out. Rose nicely though - knowing the feel of the dough is hardest for me - clueless. Will try again ! I did use A P flour. Thanks all

Old 09-30-2006, 02:28 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

IF the dough shrinks back when you stretch it out, it needs to rest more so the gluten can relax. Let it rest for 15 minutes and try again.

Old 09-30-2006, 02:52 PM   #13
Master Chef

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
IF the dough shrinks back when you stretch it out, it needs to rest more so the gluten can relax. Let it rest for 15 minutes and try again.
First proof was about an hr. I pnced it down made a cyline shape -covered it proof again a good half hour. Maybe too much flour ?? or over kneeding ? Dough was pretty stiff. Guess I should just buy thedough -lol Thanks for you input Andy!
Old 09-30-2006, 09:56 PM   #14
Senior Cook

I find that even though most recipes call for an hour rest, i rest more... i have it rest two hours (temp and humidity where i am at is extremely high), then punch it down and portion into individual balls for how many servings and then let them rest one more hour... i have used mostly AP flour recently and get decent results...

I make regular crust, not thin not pan, and i put the toppings on the pizza before putting it in the oven the traditional way and works great... the single most important thing i must point out (other than the dough) is that the oven be extremely hot (500 F if possible) and preheated at least an hour - if you have a pizza stone, please use it!! The bottom crust you will achieve is priceless. A hot oven is necessary for the pizza to cook quick - it should be done in no more than ten minutes. Another thing, go easy on the tomato sauce or else your dough will become soggy where the sauce meets the pizza.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:26 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Here's my favorite pizza dough - you might want to play with it -

JEAN'S PIZZA DOUGH

1 c. +3 T. water
2 tsps EVO
2 3/4 c. (13.5 oz) bread flour
1/4 c. (1.1 oz.) whole wheat flour
1 tsp each: garlic & onion powders
1/4 c. (.7 oz.) dry milk powder
2 tsps sugar
1 1/2 tsps salt
2 tsps Active dry yeast

Fill bread machine in the order that your model recommends.
Set machine to 'dough'; take out at end of process & spread on a Pam-sprayed pizza pan which has been sprinkle w/corn meal.
For individual pizzas - divide dough into 1/4s.

Either freeze, refrigerate till needed, or top immediately w/toppings of your choice.

Oven: Bake at 450° for ~15 min., or till crust is golden.
BBQ: MOM - grill for 4 min.; remove from grill and turn grill side up.
Top w/toppings; place back on grill for ~6 min. more.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
NOTES : Don't load the pizza up w/too much - less is better on a pizza - but, lots of cheese.

I usually make the dough in the bread machine, but this is great hand made also.

When you prefect you favorite, be sure to post it so we can try yours also!
Old 10-04-2006, 08:51 AM   #16
Senior Cook

as far as "resting time" needed, being basicly loathe to do something 2 or 3 times if i can get away with doing it once, i make up a huge amount of dough at one time. in my own experience, i find the the consistency and results i like are worst when i use the dough after only a few hours of making it, and at its best at least 3 or 4 days down the road. i keep it stored in the fridge in a plastic shopping bag, and use it for up to a week. i'll make pizza a couple of times and on other days use some for a quick foccacio or bread sticks.

i've always used hard wheat bread flour, sometimes with semolina. i've never even considered pastry or ap flour. i'll have to give it a shot sometime and see how it turns out.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:55 AM   #17
Sous Chef

Pizza dough

Hello Barb

I usually use all purpose white flour, with yeast, sugar, a splash of olive oil and a pinch of salt, to make the pizza dough.

Mel
Old 10-04-2006, 10:40 AM   #18
Master Chef

Wink

I haven't tried making it again - but want to give it another shot - I guess I just have to learn -"the feel of the dough'' which Iam not sure I know. Thanks for all your help !