Pizza Dough?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rooloo77

Assistant Cook
I'm looking for a good homemade whole wheat pizza dough recipe. I'm trying to eat better and have removed all the pizza delivery coupons from my frig but occassionally still need pizza. Any recipes or ideas are welcome!

Thanks for the Welcome. I can't wait to get home, get my recipe cards out, and starting sharing some I have and copying some that others have!

I hae a decent whole wheat recipe somewhere.

Make a sponge, let it work in the fridge overnight. Make a dough, let it 'age' in the fridge for a day, two days is better.

Aging the dough is the secret behind good pizza.

I have a good recipe from Peter Reinhardt - one of those well-known bakers who has several books out. However, his recipe is using regular flour. I altered it by using half whole-wheat and half regular flour. i may be mistaken but I think most recipes for whole wheat call for some amount of regular flour as well. Anyways, the final product came out great!! I used King Arthur Whole Wheat and King Arthur Regular All-Purpose Unbleached flour. The directions are very thorough. Unfortunately, I have this recipe in a document, so that I cannot copy and paste, but if youre interested I can email it to you. Let me know!

Maybe this would be worth considering, but it uses a bread machine for the dough:

Wheat Pizza Dough

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp. dry active yeast
1/2 tsp. salt
4 tsp. olive or vegetable oil
2/3 cup warm water

1. Place the ingredients into your bread machine, following the order recommended by the manufacturer.

2. Select the dough cycle on your machine, and press start.

3. Remove the dough when the cycle ends, and roll out to a 12" circle (14" if you want thin crust).

4. Sprinkle cornmeal (approx. 1 Tbsp.) over your pizza pan, and place the dough on the pan.

5. Top with sauce and your choice of ingredients. Then, bake at 490 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Use a fork to pop any air bubbles half-way through the cook time.

I love all the suggestions on this post. My question is how do I get a chewy crust. I have a large pizza stone and would love to have a chewy crust. any suggestions??

I have been using this recipe with great success for more than 20 years:

ANNA TERESA CALLEN'S PIZZA AND CALZONE DOUGH

one 11 x 15 inch rectangle
or 2 12-inch pizzas

2 packages active dry yeast
3 1/2 cups flour – half unbleached, half whole wheat
1 cup lukewarm water
1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water. Let stand for 10 minutes. In a mixing bowl, combine flour and salt. Make a well in the center and pour in the oil and the yeast mixture. With your hand, stir the flour into the liquid and gather the mixture into a ball. Turn dough out onto a floured board, or proceed to knead it in the bowl. Knead and slap the dough until it is smooth and elastic (like a baby's bottom). While kneading, add a little more flour, if necessary. Dough must be smooth, elastic, and not sticky. Gather dough into a ball and place it in a lightly oiled bowl. Set the bowl in a warm place, cover tightly with plastic wrap and let rise for about 1 hour, or until doubled in bulk.

Punch dough down, and knead a little. Shape into a ball, and let rise again (for about 1 hour). At this point, dough is ready to use.

NOTE: After the first rising, dough can be punched down and refrigerated or frozen. If frozen, thaw in refrigerator overnight.

This dough is also suitable for focaccia. Just give it a second rise, and then shape it for focaccia and proceed. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom