Pizza dough

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

juliet44

Assistant Cook
I wonder if some one can tell me how to keep my pizza dough from shrinking in the oven? I'm thinking it needs a rest period before going into a hot oven? I'm using bread four, but it has also happened with all purpose flour. Thanks Julie

Does it shrink when you're stretching it to shape? If so, you are right, a rest period is in order to allow the gluten to relax. This can also be accomplished before you start shaping the pizza. Let it rest longer.

Yes, letting it rest after you have stretched it but before you dress it, will help it from shrinking. The gluten, no matter what the source, needs to relax before baking.

Yes, letting it rest after you have stretched it but before you dress it, will help it from shrinking. The gluten, no matter what the source, needs to relax before baking.

My buddy owns a pizza/italian restaurant and they do this!

They make the dough then let it rest. then they portion it out and roll,then onto pans where it rests again.

For better behaving dough after you mix your dough refrigerate it overnight. Take it out about 2-3 hours before you make your pizza. IMO, the dough has a better taste doing this.

For better behaving dough after you mix your dough refrigerate it overnight. Take it out about 2-3 hours before you make your pizza. IMO, the dough has a better taste doing this.

Absolutely! Though you can make it and let it rest about an hour and get it to "behave" fairly well, over night or 2-3 days in the fridge makes better-tasking dough, IMHO. Cool dough tends to slap out more consistently than warm dough, which I seem to have a problem with thin spots when I do this. Rolling it out helps reduce thin spots, but sometimes over-works it, which might require another resting period to get it to stay where you want it.

I roll it out, let it rest maybe 1/2 hour or so, then re-roll it and it usually behaves itself after that. And, depending whether Im using the stone, or the perforated pan, the perforated pan requires to kind coat with margerine prior to putting the dough on. this creates a ' stickyness' , which when the dough is applied , it kinds holds it in place long enough til it sets from the heat. With the stone, this isnt an option, so i need a fully relaxed dough to maintain its size and shape.

Juliette: Pizza Dough - Barry

Buon Giorno,

During Easter time, I had posted my Italian grandmom´s trattoria recipe for pizza dough, for another member, Barry and it is in the Pizza Section ... The member´s name is Barry.

He had written to me, telling me how wonderful the pizza crust had been.

I recommend that you take a peek at it.

Have a lovely summer.
Margaux.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom