"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pizza & Focaccia

Old 03-26-2015, 03:27 PM   #11
Master Chef

My usual problem is time. Pizza dough sold here is frozen - takes time to defrost, making dough yourself - takes time to rise. But when I do make my own pizza I like to make thin crust, simple "yet satisfying". My wife like dip dish, I need to learn how to make that.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:58 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
My usual problem is time. Pizza dough sold here is frozen - takes time to defrost, making dough yourself - takes time to rise. But when I do make my own pizza I like to make thin crust, simple "yet satisfying". My wife like dip dish, I need to learn how to make that.
What is "dip dish?"

Old 03-26-2015, 04:07 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
What is "dip dish?"
deep dish
Old 03-26-2015, 04:12 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
deep dish
Of course. I have to remember it was Charlie that posted it. I love him dearly and get quite in education in the possibilities of the English language.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:00 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
I just put bread dough on my grocery list. I love to make dinner rolls.
Boy, I have a great, fast dinner roll recipe. It takes about an hour total, and they are wonderful. 15 minutes to mix and knead, 30 minute rise, then 20 minutes to bake. Light and fluffy - I have never had leftovers. The recipe says it makes 12, I usually get 10 in 2 round pans. I keep meaning to experiment with it and see what I get if I make them free standing rather than bunched in a pan.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:36 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Boy, I have a great, fast dinner roll recipe. It takes about an hour total, and they are wonderful. 15 minutes to mix and knead, 30 minute rise, then 20 minutes to bake. Light and fluffy - I have never had leftovers. The recipe says it makes 12, I usually get 10 in 2 round pans. I keep meaning to experiment with it and see what I get if I make them free standing rather than bunched in a pan.
Well, put the recipe where your mouth is. Share! Otherwise I will have to get out my 30 year old Good Housekeeping falling apart cookbook.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:13 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Well, put the recipe where your mouth is. Share! Otherwise I will have to get out my 30 year old Good Housekeeping falling apart cookbook.
Here it is. I know that I got it from somewhere, but I never recorded where it came from. If anyone claims ownership, I'll gladly defer to them.

Classic Dinner Rolls

2 cups all-purpose flour, or more if needed
1 envelope Fleischmann'sģ RapidRise Yeast (I use my normal active dry yeast, not rapid, and I don't add the salt until after the first mix)
2 Tbs sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup water
2 Tbs butter OR margarine

1. Combine 3/4 cup flour, undissolved yeast, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Heat milk, water and butter until very warm (120 degrees to 130 degrees F, use care - too hot will kill the yeast. Better to err on the low side). Add to flour mixture. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally. Add 1/4 cup flour; beat 2 minutes at high speed. Stir in enough remaining flour to make soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes. Cover; let rest 10 minutes.

2. Divide dough into 12 equal pieces; shape into balls. Place in greased 8-inch round pan. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.

3. Bake in preheated 375 degrees F oven for 20 minutes or until done. Remove from pan; brush with additional melted butter, if desired. Serve warm.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:02 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
MC, you reminded me of something Billy Connolly said at one of his performances: He was visiting home in Glasgow. He saw chippy with a sign that said they served pizza. He went in and ordered pizza. The guy took a piece of frozen pizza and dropped in the deep fat fryer. Mr. Connolly turned around and walked out. It was much funnier the way he told it. I think of that every time I hear about pizza in the UK.
Glasgow is notorious in comedy routines for it's unhealthy food. There are the (possibly apocryphal) deep fried battered chocolate Mars Bar, deep fried battered meat pies, etc. How true these delicacies are I don't know but Glasgow has a very poor health record.

And then there were the "Vesta" freeze-dried "curry", "paella", and some "Chinese" version, the name of which I forget, in a packet - just add water. And every bit as appetising (not) as they sound. Oh the cosmopolitan British diet of the 1970s!!! And then we have the nerve to criticise McD's and KFC.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:06 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Here it is. I know that I got it from somewhere, but I never recorded where it came from. If anyone claims ownership, I'll gladly defer to them.

Classic Dinner Rolls

2 cups all-purpose flour, or more if needed
1 envelope Fleischmann'sģ RapidRise Yeast (I use my normal active dry yeast, not rapid, and I don't add the salt until after the first mix)
2 Tbs sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup water
2 Tbs butter OR margarine

1. Combine 3/4 cup flour, undissolved yeast, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Heat milk, water and butter until very warm (120 degrees to 130 degrees F, use care - too hot will kill the yeast. Better to err on the low side). Add to flour mixture. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally. Add 1/4 cup flour; beat 2 minutes at high speed. Stir in enough remaining flour to make soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes. Cover; let rest 10 minutes.

2. Divide dough into 12 equal pieces; shape into balls. Place in greased 8-inch round pan. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.

3. Bake in preheated 375 degrees F oven for 20 minutes or until done. Remove from pan; brush with additional melted butter, if desired. Serve warm.
RP, did you mean 2 tablespoons of sugar? It sounds a lot for a 2 cups of flour.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:20 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
RP, did you mean 2 tablespoons of sugar? It sounds a lot for a 2 cups of flour.
Yep. That's a direct export from my Living Cookbook - TNT. They are supposed to be just a tad bit sweet. Definitely not a sweetbread, but more than just something for the yeast to feed on. They don't taste sugary.

Tags
dough, pizza