"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pizza & Focaccia

Old 03-23-2015, 05:05 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Pizza dough

I just saw a tv show, and they used cake flour for their dough, I always used regular flour, any thoughts on using the cake flour, or why?

Old 03-23-2015, 05:14 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Cake flour would result in a more tender crust. Not chewy as it would be with bread flour or, to a lesser extent, with AP flour.

What kind of pizza was it? Neapolitan, deep dish?

Old 03-23-2015, 05:23 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Thanks Andy, it was just a basic pizza, some sauce, cheese and basil, but it was cooked in a brick oven.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:32 PM   #4
Head Chef

I don't think that I'd change anything in the way I do it now. I like my crust either thin and crisp or I want some "chew" to it, and the recipe I use now works for both. I just roll it and stretch it out thinner for crisp crust. Cake flour is one thing I never have on hand anyway - I use bread flour for bread, and AP for everything else. When I was living in the Bahamas, I used AP for bread too, because none of the stores on the island carried bread flour. It seemed to work out alright.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:29 PM   #5
Head Chef

I mix 1 cup of cake flour to 4 cups of unbleached AP flour.
To make a chewy crust the dough has to rise for about 4 hours the punched down and rise another 2 hours or over night for the best flavor.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:21 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I just buy the already made pizza dough at Publix when I am in Publix. Its always on my list.

I am no pastry chef and know it. So, I have been just using pre-made frozen dough.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:46 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I just buy the already made pizza dough at Publix when I am in Publix. Its always on my list.

I am no pastry chef and know it. So, I have been just using pre-made frozen dough.
Home made bread/pizza dough is so simple to make and it fits round your timetable so easily that it's a waste or time and money to traipse to the store to buy it and then store it in the freezer.

I sometimes "steal" a little of my bread dough to make a pizza or I make a dough similar to bread but with a little more EVOO if I'm not making bread. I'm a pastry klutz but I have no problem with yeast dough as you can be more heavy handed with bread dough than with pastry.

You can, if you must, make enough dough to "eat one and freeze one".

I know a lot of people make a special pizza dough but my Italian neighbour said she always made it from left-over bread dough because that was the way her mother did it "in the old country". I expect that's how pizza evolved in the first place.

I like my pizza piled up with goodies and keep jars of things in the cupboard for when a pizza insists on being made - roasted globe artichokes in oil, jars of roasted peppers, anchovies, sun dried tomatoes in EVOO and things like that. Quick lunch if people ring up and say they're in the neighbourhood and will be with you for lunch in an hour. Give them something like that and they'll forgive the canned fruit and plain yoghourt brle that's all you can throw together in the way of pudding. (I don't have particularly inconsiderate friends and relatives - they just know that I can usually do pot-luck and if not will take me out to lunch at the deli or the pub.)

Many years ago, when pizza was first fashionably in the UK there was a fad for making pizza at home with a basic unsweetened scone dough base. Self-raising flour, a little margarine or lard, water and salt, baked in a frying pan/skillet! it was horrible. The topping was usually canned tomatoes and "mouse trap" cheese (cheap cheddar or some such). A few dried herbs went on top if you were adventurous enough. Gosh, we Brits sure knew how to mangle food back in the 1960s and 70s. Fortunately my mother and dad knew when enough was enough. We only had the "mock pizza" at home once!
Old 03-25-2015, 06:32 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
MC, you reminded me of something Billy Connolly said at one of his performances: He was visiting home in Glasgow. He saw chippy with a sign that said they served pizza. He went in and ordered pizza. The guy took a piece of frozen pizza and dropped in the deep fat fryer. Mr. Connolly turned around and walked out. It was much funnier the way he told it. I think of that every time I hear about pizza in the UK.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:03 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post

We do the same thing at our Von's market. I used to make it with my bread machine, but buying the dough for $1 is easier. Kayelle makes a great pizza!
Old 03-26-2015, 03:26 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

I just put bread dough on my grocery list. I love to make dinner rolls.

Tags
dough, pizza