Pizza dough

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

callmaker60

Senior Cook
I just saw a tv show, and they used cake flour for their dough, I always used regular flour, any thoughts on using the cake flour, or why?

Cake flour would result in a more tender crust. Not chewy as it would be with bread flour or, to a lesser extent, with AP flour.

What kind of pizza was it? Neapolitan, deep dish?

I don't think that I'd change anything in the way I do it now. I like my crust either thin and crisp or I want some "chew" to it, and the recipe I use now works for both. I just roll it and stretch it out thinner for crisp crust. Cake flour is one thing I never have on hand anyway - I use bread flour for bread, and AP for everything else. When I was living in the Bahamas, I used AP for bread too, because none of the stores on the island carried bread flour. It seemed to work out alright.

I mix 1 cup of cake flour to 4 cups of unbleached AP flour.
To make a chewy crust the dough has to rise for about 4 hours the punched down and rise another 2 hours or over night for the best flavor.

Last edited:
I just buy the already made pizza dough at Publix when I am in Publix. Its always on my list.

I am no pastry chef and know it. So, I have been just using pre-made frozen dough.

I just buy the already made pizza dough at Publix when I am in Publix. Its always on my list.

I am no pastry chef and know it. So, I have been just using pre-made frozen dough.
Home made bread/pizza dough is so simple to make and it fits round your timetable so easily that it's a waste or time and money to traipse to the store to buy it and then store it in the freezer.

I sometimes "steal" a little of my bread dough to make a pizza or I make a dough similar to bread but with a little more EVOO if I'm not making bread. I'm a pastry klutz but I have no problem with yeast dough as you can be more heavy handed with bread dough than with pastry.

You can, if you must, make enough dough to "eat one and freeze one".

I know a lot of people make a special pizza dough but my Italian neighbour said she always made it from left-over bread dough because that was the way her mother did it "in the old country". I expect that's how pizza evolved in the first place.

I like my pizza piled up with goodies and keep jars of things in the cupboard for when a pizza insists on being made - roasted globe artichokes in oil, jars of roasted peppers, anchovies, sun dried tomatoes in EVOO and things like that. Quick lunch if people ring up and say they're in the neighbourhood and will be with you for lunch in an hour. Give them something like that and they'll forgive the canned fruit and plain yoghourt brûlée that's all you can throw together in the way of pudding. (I don't have particularly inconsiderate friends and relatives - they just know that I can usually do pot-luck and if not will take me out to lunch at the deli or the pub.)

Many years ago, when pizza was first fashionably in the UK there was a fad for making pizza at home with a basic unsweetened scone dough base. Self-raising flour, a little margarine or lard, water and salt, baked in a frying pan/skillet! it was horrible. The topping was usually canned tomatoes and "mouse trap" cheese (cheap cheddar or some such). A few dried herbs went on top if you were adventurous enough. Gosh, we Brits sure knew how to mangle food back in the 1960s and 70s. Fortunately my mother and dad knew when enough was enough. We only had the "mock pizza" at home once!

Last edited:
MC, you reminded me of something Billy Connolly said at one of his performances: He was visiting home in Glasgow. He saw chippy with a sign that said they served pizza. He went in and ordered pizza. The guy took a piece of frozen pizza and dropped in the deep fat fryer. Mr. Connolly turned around and walked out. It was much funnier the way he told it. I think of that every time I hear about pizza in the UK.

We do the same thing at our Von's market. I used to make it with my bread machine, but buying the dough for $1 is easier. Kayelle makes a great pizza!

My usual problem is time. Pizza dough sold here is frozen - takes time to defrost, making dough yourself - takes time to rise. But when I do make my own pizza I like to make thin crust, simple "yet satisfying". My wife like dip dish, I need to learn how to make that.

My usual problem is time. Pizza dough sold here is frozen - takes time to defrost, making dough yourself - takes time to rise. But when I do make my own pizza I like to make thin crust, simple "yet satisfying". My wife like dip dish, I need to learn how to make that.

What is "dip dish?" :angel:

I just put bread dough on my grocery list. I love to make dinner rolls. :angel:

Boy, I have a great, fast dinner roll recipe. It takes about an hour total, and they are wonderful. 15 minutes to mix and knead, 30 minute rise, then 20 minutes to bake. Light and fluffy - I have never had leftovers. The recipe says it makes 12, I usually get 10 in 2 round pans. I keep meaning to experiment with it and see what I get if I make them free standing rather than bunched in a pan.

Boy, I have a great, fast dinner roll recipe. It takes about an hour total, and they are wonderful. 15 minutes to mix and knead, 30 minute rise, then 20 minutes to bake. Light and fluffy - I have never had leftovers. The recipe says it makes 12, I usually get 10 in 2 round pans. I keep meaning to experiment with it and see what I get if I make them free standing rather than bunched in a pan.

Well, put the recipe where your mouth is. ;) Share! Otherwise I will have to get out my 30 year old Good Housekeeping falling apart cookbook. :angel:

Well, put the recipe where your mouth is. ;) Share! Otherwise I will have to get out my 30 year old Good Housekeeping falling apart cookbook. :angel:

Here it is. I know that I got it from somewhere, but I never recorded where it came from. If anyone claims ownership, I'll gladly defer to them.

Classic Dinner Rolls

2 cups all-purpose flour, or more if needed
1 envelope Fleischmann's® RapidRise Yeast (I use my normal active dry yeast, not rapid, and I don't add the salt until after the first mix)
2 Tbs sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup water
2 Tbs butter OR margarine

1. Combine 3/4 cup flour, undissolved yeast, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Heat milk, water and butter until very warm (120 degrees to 130 degrees F, use care - too hot will kill the yeast. Better to err on the low side). Add to flour mixture. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally. Add 1/4 cup flour; beat 2 minutes at high speed. Stir in enough remaining flour to make soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes. Cover; let rest 10 minutes.

2. Divide dough into 12 equal pieces; shape into balls. Place in greased 8-inch round pan. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.

3. Bake in preheated 375 degrees F oven for 20 minutes or until done. Remove from pan; brush with additional melted butter, if desired. Serve warm.

MC, you reminded me of something Billy Connolly said at one of his performances: He was visiting home in Glasgow. He saw chippy with a sign that said they served pizza. He went in and ordered pizza. The guy took a piece of frozen pizza and dropped in the deep fat fryer. Mr. Connolly turned around and walked out. It was much funnier the way he told it. I think of that every time I hear about pizza in the UK.
Glasgow is notorious in comedy routines for it's unhealthy food. There are the (possibly apocryphal) deep fried battered chocolate Mars Bar, deep fried battered meat pies, etc. How true these delicacies are I don't know but Glasgow has a very poor health record.

And then there were the "Vesta" freeze-dried "curry", "paella", and some "Chinese" version, the name of which I forget, in a packet - just add water. And every bit as appetising (not) as they sound. Oh the cosmopolitan British diet of the 1970s!!! And then we have the nerve to criticise McD's and KFC.

Here it is. I know that I got it from somewhere, but I never recorded where it came from. If anyone claims ownership, I'll gladly defer to them.

Classic Dinner Rolls

2 cups all-purpose flour, or more if needed
1 envelope Fleischmann's® RapidRise Yeast (I use my normal active dry yeast, not rapid, and I don't add the salt until after the first mix)
2 Tbs sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup water
2 Tbs butter OR margarine

1. Combine 3/4 cup flour, undissolved yeast, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Heat milk, water and butter until very warm (120 degrees to 130 degrees F, use care - too hot will kill the yeast. Better to err on the low side). Add to flour mixture. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally. Add 1/4 cup flour; beat 2 minutes at high speed. Stir in enough remaining flour to make soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes. Cover; let rest 10 minutes.

2. Divide dough into 12 equal pieces; shape into balls. Place in greased 8-inch round pan. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.

3. Bake in preheated 375 degrees F oven for 20 minutes or until done. Remove from pan; brush with additional melted butter, if desired. Serve warm.
RP, did you mean 2 tablespoons of sugar? It sounds a lot for a 2 cups of flour.

RP, did you mean 2 tablespoons of sugar? It sounds a lot for a 2 cups of flour.

Yep. That's a direct export from my Living Cookbook - TNT. They are supposed to be just a tad bit sweet. Definitely not a sweetbread, but more than just something for the yeast to feed on. They don't taste sugary.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom