"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pizza & Focaccia

Old 04-11-2012, 08:00 PM   #11
Master Chef

Site Administrator

1) No. Well.. errm.. I wrapped in wrap once. Bad idea. It escaped. It doesn't freeze right away and will continue to rise in the freezer for a little while. Mine split the wrap. (I thought I had bags but didn't, so I tried the wrap).

2) No. I haven't even tried cooking it a little then doing the toppings. I think a full sized pizza would be harder to store (especially for us) than a itty bitty dough ball.

Glad you like the dough. I copped it from some web site then made some changes and tweaked a bit until I was happy with it.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:19 PM   #12
Executive Chef

good topic!

Old 04-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #13
Everymom

OK Frank, I think that I'm going to try freezing a couple of pizza shells. They're flat, so they shouldn't take up a ton of room. I'll report back on how it goes. My current plan is to bake the shells for about 5-10 minutes then cool and wrap in either plastic wrap or in the freezer bags.

I don't want to freeze the dough in balls simply because I know my family won't be as likely to use them when I'm working evenings. I'd be good with using them myself when I need a quick dinner, but they wouldn't.

Old 04-12-2012, 09:21 PM   #14
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I find that the dough balls aren't "quick" just convenient. My experience is about 4-5 hours on the counter for them to thaw and rise.

Do you have enough room so they can lay flat? We just don't have that kind of space. I wonder if you could stack them with wax paper between.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:30 PM   #15
Everymom

I would freeze them flat in the small freezer on the fridge then store them vertically in the big freezer. I think they will fit perfectly in the small side of my freezer. I'll let you know.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:10 AM   #16
Executive Chef

I don't understand how flat pizzas could be any easier to store than "smooshed" pizza dough balls. I've never freezed my pizza dough but I imagine the scenario where I would take a ball of dough out of the freezer and just chuck it on the counter several hours before dinner and then maybe flatten it an hour before cooking, let it rise a bit more then cook it.

Why is a flat pizza any easier to store in a freezer than a pizza dough ball? In fact AFAIK that's how commercial pizza dough is delivered to franchise restaurants, frozen in balls. Right? (I don't know, I've never been involved with the restaurant industry.) In fact I think I've heard you can even purchase dough from some of them.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:38 AM   #17
Master Chef

Site Administrator

In a restaurant it is sometimes delivered in a frozen ball, but more usually as a bag of powdered dough that water and some other stuff is added to. When I was in a pizza place we called the powdered dough flour.

I think Alix is wants to store them on edge. If her freezer set up allows that then this might be a nifty idea. I suppose the can slide in next to the boxes of lemon ice in her freezer.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:50 AM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Alix is also considering par-baking them, they will then have a different structure. She's wanting to try this to encourage her family to use them when she is not at home.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:45 AM   #19
Everymom

Thanks PF, that's exactly right. Greg, when I work an evening shift I'm not home to make dinner. It isn't feasible for me to toss a ball of frozen dough out and expect them to do the work with it. They're often on the run to dance classes and after school jobs and Ken doesn't arrive home until its just about time to sit down.

SO...having said all that, a parbaked crust would be easy for them to grab, load up and bake. It MIGHT even have the structure to allow them to slide it onto a hot stone if they left it partially frozen.

I'll report back later. This is on the agenda for this weekend along with some lemon squares.

Frank, did you know you can set your freezer to making lemon ice?
Old 04-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #20
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post

Frank, did you know you can set your freezer to making lemon ice?
I think it is just for the Canadian versions...

Tags
pizza