Pizza Dough Formula

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Semolina (I use KA's 'extra fancy durum') makes a crust that can combine both crunchiness with chewiness. It also helps the dough hold up better for the longer cold fermentation which produces the flavor that I prefer.

Recippes like this mean I have to go out and buy a scale! :LOL:

I have a scale that goes up to five pounds. Every so often I will put an upopened 5# bag of sugar or flour on it. They weigh about an half ounce over every time. I am not complaining. :)

I have a scale that goes up to five pounds. Every so often I will put an upopened 5# bag of sugar or flour on it. They weigh about an half ounce over every time. I am not complaining. :)
That's one good way of checking the calibration of your scale and checking for products that are underweight. I believe you can use a half cup of water to verify your scale measures an accurate 4 oz.
We also regularly use our scale for portion control- e.g. 6 ounce burgers.
Glad our newest scale (mechanical) has a 10 pound capacity with 1/2 ounce increments.
I rarely have to resort to using my balance beam which weighs in 0.1 grain increments.

Last edited:
The wood does not wick away as much of the heat generated during the final rise and the metal is easier to slip under the finished pie.
Thanks for the explanation! I never would have thought of that...

It would be interesting to weigh an empty bag and discover what portion of that half ounce is due to the bag.

We also regularly use our scale for portion control- e.g. 6 ounce burgers.
A scale is also a great way to control food wastage, by not cooking any more than you intend to eat. (Or those who desire leftovers can take that into account.)

I use my scale a lot particularly when developing new recipes. Not only can I methodically alter my recipe as the design progresses, but when I've got it perfect the measurements aid in communicating my recipes to others.

Thanks for the explanation! I never would have thought of that...
+1

It would be interesting to weigh an empty bag and discover what portion of that half ounce is due to the bag.

A scale is also a great way to control food wastage, by not cooking any more than you intend to eat. (Or those who desire leftovers can take that into account.)

I use my scale a lot particularly when developing new recipes. Not only can I methodically alter my recipe as the design progresses, but when I've got it perfect the measurements aid in communicating my recipes to others.
+1

justplainbill, thanks for that link!

Andy, I'm looking for a wooden peel. Sorry I didn't reply sooner, its been a busy couple of days. I make 14 inch pies routinely so that one that justplainbill posted might do the job. I have to check on the shipping fees. Something that long might be pricy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom