Pizza Dough Formula

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
... that's exactly right. Greg, when I work an evening shift I'm not home to make dinner. It isn't feasible for me to toss a ball of frozen dough out and expect them to do the work with it. They're often on the run to dance classes and after school jobs and Ken doesn't arrive home until its just about time to sit down.

SO...having said all that, a parbaked crust would be easy for them to grab, load up and bake. It MIGHT even have the structure to allow them to slide it onto a hot stone if they left it partially frozen.

I'll report back later. This is on the agenda for this weekend ...

It will be interesting to hear how it works out! :)

Maybe I'm wrong (and certainly have no experience in freezing pizza dough) but it seems intuitive to me (whether correct or not) that the dough would taste better if it rises a bit after thawing before cooking. And of course any "par cooking" would kill the yeast and prevent any subsequent rising.

It will be interesting to hear how it works out! :)

Maybe I'm wrong (and certainly have no experience in freezing pizza dough) but it seems intuitive to me (whether correct or not) that the dough would taste better if it rises a bit after thawing before cooking. And of course any "par cooking" would kill the yeast and prevent any subsequent rising.

I'm sure it will work out just fine Gregeaux! ;)
Par-baked pizza dough is the normal process for making the tons of frozen pizza consumed on the planet each week. Consumers in their millions must think it has some merit.

How its made - frozen pizza - Video Dailymotion

I'm sure it will work out just fine Gregeaux! ;)
Par-baked pizza dough is the normal process for making the tons of frozen pizza consumed on the planet each week. Consumers in their millions must think it has some merit.

Yes but freshly baked pizza (without the intermediary of "par-baking") is the normal process, the raison d'être for many restaurants cooking their own fresh pizza crusts, and why many home chefs do the same.

To take your concept to the extreme Alix should just buy supermarket frozen pizzas and tell her family to read the directions on the box. Then the pizza will come par-baked, par-sauced, par-topped and par-mediocre.

I guess we're debating one concept here: Is it better to (1) freeze a dough ball and then later spend 1-2 hours to rise it and then roll it out, or (2) pre-roll it out and flatten it, pre-bake it to set it in its final form, and settle for what I expect would be not quite as good but quicker.

Obviously only the end user can decide which is preferable and which is best.

Yes but freshly baked pizza (without the intermediary of "par-baking") is the normal process, the raison d'être for many restaurants cooking their own fresh pizza crusts, and why many home chefs do the same.

To take your concept to the extreme Alix should just buy supermarket frozen pizzas and tell her family to read the directions on the box. Then the pizza will come par-baked, par-sauced, par-topped and par-mediocre.

I guess we're debating one concept here: Is it better to (1) freeze a dough ball and then later spend 1-2 hours to rise it and then roll it out, or (2) pre-roll it out and flatten it, pre-bake it to set it in its final form, and settle for what I expect would be not quite as good but quicker.

Obviously only the end user can decide which is preferable and which is best.

Some of us have to make concessions when it comes to time or the lack of and trying to provide homemade food for our families. Par-Baking HOMEMADE pizza dough is far superior than a frozen boxed pizza.

Kudos to Alix for showing her family she cares enough to cook for them.

Par-Baking HOMEMADE pizza dough is far superior than a frozen boxed pizza.
And freezing the HOMEMADE dough then defrosting it and letting it rise then rolling it out is far superior to a "par-baked" crust.

We are addressing different points here. I'm discussing whether it would be better to bake it before letting your family have at it, you're arguing whether supermarket is better than home made. I think it would be better to freeze it and then thaw and let it rise.

I think it would be better to throw the dough down on the counter the morning before the dinner after, and then several hours later you/they/anybody/them could roll it out and apply the toppings and bake it.

That would be far better than nuking some already cooked crust. IMO.

And freezing the HOMEMADE dough then defrosting it and letting it rise then rolling it out is far superior to a "par-baked" crust.

We are addressing different points here. I'm discussing whether it would be better to bake it before letting your family have at it, you're arguing whether supermarket is better than home made. I think it would be better to freeze it and then thaw and let it rise.

I think it would be better to throw the dough down on the counter the morning before the dinner after, and then several hours later you/they/anybody/them could roll it out and apply the toppings and bake it.

Did you not read the part where Alix wrote that the family wasn't likely to do that? Don't have the time.

No you brought it up first:

Gourmet Greg said:

You have also said you are not an expert on frozen pizza dough...so how about letting a few of us talk about it, without being forced to agree with you.

,,, how about letting a few of us talk about it, without being forced to agree with you.
There is what, some way I can prevent that, some way I can prevent you talking about it, or some way I can force you to agree with me?

You read my posts. You accept or reject my concepts. You reply to me or you ignore me. It seems to me that you'd be better advised to ignore me. IIRC there's a forum feature for that.

I express my opinions. You're free to agree with me and state it, or disagree with me and state it, or either way you can ignore my opinions and say nothing. Often the latter is the best recourse.

Last edited:
Greg, of course it would be preferable to have fresh dough! Nothing like it IMO. However, since I'm going to freeze the stuff anyway...it won't be "fresh" anymore. So, since fresh is off the table, now I'm looking for convenience. I can quite easily prep the toppings, sauce and cheese for the family and its a simple matter for them to assemble and cook. We like this dough recipe both for its flavor and consistency so rather than buy something we don't like, I'm looking for a way to leave something we DO like.

I envy folks like you who can plop out a ball of dough, or decide they want pizza for dinner and go for the gusto. I need to plan for all the time constraints jobs and lessons impose upon our family and at the same time provide a good meal for everyone. Pizza is all the food groups in one round package of deliciousness, and if they know they can pull it together fast, they'll eat that rather than canned ravioli or a granola bar on the way out the door. Its all about offering healthy options that fit their lifestyle.

Hope that helps clarify things a bit and gets us out of the debate zone. ;)

Just discussing. You're in the unfortunate situation of not having enough time to cook it up fresh. I'm in the unfortunate position of not having an adequate oven to cook it up fresh. Until I do all I have to learn from is by asking questions. I'm sorry if my questions seemed unhelpful to you in solving your problems. I hope you have no objections to my sometimes turning the conversation towards learning. Until I get a better kitchen I'm limited to mostly learning and not much cooking. That is why I sometimes ask the questions I ask.

Greg, I'm never opposed to learning or teaching for that matter (it pays my bread and butter!) Please do feel free to learn as much as possible until you can experiment on your own. I believe the issue is more that you sort of took the thread to a place about what is best rather than answering the question put forward. That lends itself to upset at times.

As for me and my dough, we're in prep stage one right now. Dough is made and is in its first rise. I'll get it spread out and parbaked within the hour and I'll report back later this week to let you all know how the freezing experiment went and how the family liked it. Thanks for all the help. Now if only I could find a decent peel here in town...

I've seen a couple on Amazon, but its hard to tell how thick they are. If you have a recommendation I'd appreciate it!

I've seen a couple on Amazon, but its hard to tell how thick they are. If you have a recommendation I'd appreciate it!

Are you looking for wood or metal? I have wood one I bought at W-S for $10 years ago and it does the job.

I am having trouble finding the one I ended up with. It is wood but I wanted a longer handle with a small paddle.

I will ask Kathleen.

Frank, what does the semolina in this recipe do for the dough? how is it different from using all bread flour?

Back
Top Bottom