Pizza dough problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrantsKat

Executive Chef
Well I am trying to make pizza dough for tonights dinner. I'm glad I did a test batch, because it came out horribe!!! I used this recipe
View Recipe

I put the dough in a 17 x 11 cookie sheet, brushed with olive oil & seasoned with garlic powder & oregano. It came out looking good & even tasted good, except that it was hard as a rock!
I"m wondering if that happened because I didnt use a "wet" topping? Or did I stretch it too much by using a larger than called for pan?

Can anybody help me out???? I have my toppings ready but dont want to use them if the dough will be this hard again!:ermm:
TIA

Girl, would love to help, but me and dough... we just don't jive!!! I'm sure you will get all the help you will need!!! ;)

Kathe,
Try this link. The dough recipe is down the page aways. I got it from deelady who uses it all the time and I think she said gotgarlic posted it first. Anyway, it turned out fine for me and is fairly easy.

Another question, is your yeast fresh?

Thanks Laurie! I did see that recipe but wasnt sure if I could use the rapid-rise, or active-dry yeast for it!! Im a baking newbie! lol
Im assuming the yeast is fresh because after resting, the dough did get a little bigger(I was only supposed to let it rest for 10 mins)..........

Ok I made the no-knead dough from the recipe Laurie posted........its supposed to be ready in 1 1/2 hours....looks like a blob!! I dont think I will be having pizza tonite : (

Ok I made the no-knead dough from the recipe Laurie posted........its supposed to be ready in 1 1/2 hours....looks like a blob!! I dont think I will be having pizza tonite : (

Hmm, wonder what happened. Mine turned out fine both times I made it. Sorry about wasting your time like that.

You can use any kind of canned rolls buttermilk works great, The good news is you can either make mini pizzas or roll the dough out for one giant pizza or even calzones :chef:

Kathe, I HIGHLY recommend that no knead pizza dough recipe, you know, it is supposed to kinda look like a blob, I use that recipe and make 3 pizzas from the dough

Why would you bake a pizza crust - except for minimal parbaking like the recipe called for - without a topping? If you bake virtually any pizza crust plain, all you'll end up with is a big hard cracker.

Just wanted to let everyone know, that the pizza came out great!!
Thank you Beth, Ive never made the no-knead bread or pizza dough so I wasnt familiar with how the texture was supposed to be:rolleyes:
Breezy, obviously if I had known baking a pizza dough without a topping would turn out hard.....I wouldnt have done it! Now I know, live & learn;)

Interesting learning here. Without any good pizza shops nearby, and not wanting to buy frozen crust and have it go bad before I'm in the mood for a pizza, something I can make same day sounds pretty good to me. Good thread. I've bookmarked that site. So did the instant yeast work, Kathe? Is that what you used?

Interesting learning here. Without any good pizza shops nearby, and not wanting to buy frozen crust and have it go bad before I'm in the mood for a pizza, something I can make same day sounds pretty good to me. Good thread. I've bookmarked that site. So did the instant yeast work, Kathe? Is that what you used?

Yes, I used the active-dry in the packet........the only problem I had with the dough, was trying to "stretch" it out to fit in the cookie sheet, it just kept wanting to shrink back, I guess theres a fix for that though:ermm:

This is a recipe I used the other night and it worked out great for me. I fried it for dipping bites but I could tell it would be great for a regular crust as well. After I allowed it to rise it was very pliable and easily rolled out. It was very easy to make and only needed 30-40 mins to rise.:chef: Enjoy!

Deep-Dish Pizza Dough
- Makes 8 servings -
Ingredients
3-1/2 cups unbleached flour
1 package quick-rise active dry yeast (I used regular active yeast)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1-1/4 cups warm water, 115° to 125°F
2 teaspoons honey
1 Tablespoon olive oil
Directions
In large bowl of electric mixer, combine 2 1/2 cups of the flour, yeast, and salt. Stir to blend dry ingredients thoroughly. In a small bowl combine the hot water, honey, and oil. Stir to blend well. Add water mixture to flour mixture. Mix to blend, then beat at medium speed until smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes). Stir in about 1/2 cup more flour to make a soft dough. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead until dough is smooth and satiny (8 to 10 minutes), adding just enough flour (up to 1/2 cup) to prevent dough from being sticky. Turn dough into a greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and a towel, and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk (30 to 40 minutes). Punch dough down, cover with inverted bowl, and let rest 10 minutes; use as directed in recipe.

Kathe,
Try this link. The dough recipe is down the page aways. I got it from deelady who uses it all the time and I think she said gotgarlic posted it first. Anyway, it turned out fine for me and is fairly easy.

Another question, is your yeast fresh?

Would I be able to use this recipe to make calzone pizzas?

Im wanting to make some to keep in the fridge and have for lunch at uni instead of sandwiches every now and again. :chef:

if you can get a pizza stone......they're relatively cheap now.........try and make your pizza dough ahead of time and allow to relax in the fridge for a few hours or overnight which is even better........since most people don't have that kinda time on their hands do the best that you can to roll it out but overnight is best.........I take a sheet of baking parchment paper taped down and roll out the pizza, load it up then place the pizza on the paper on the pizza stone minus the tape.......works beautifully........

in case your interested. I do this:

make sure 1 cup of water is between 110 and 111 degrees
add 1 teas honey and yeast packet. let sit and foam up.

add this to 2 cups of flour and some salt. knead in my kitchen aide mixer for 8-10 minutes on low. add flour as needed. in the end, should be a little sticky but you should also be able to take it out of the bowl with your hands.

let sit in a bowl with saran wrap and covered with a towel for an hour and a half.

break into 2 peices and knead each one about 30 times.

make 2 pizzas

Back
Top Bottom