Pizza Dough Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rocky2336

Assistant Cook
Hello, my name is Rocky and i am from North Carolina, i have a question about making pizza dough. i use this recipe:
1 cup water
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp shortning
3 cups white flour
1 1/4 tsp yeast

then i let it rest for 30 min, and it rises and everything, but when i start to
stretch it out, it feels dry and it breaks up, its not elastic and smooth, why is this? what am i missing, should i use somthing else? Thanks.
PS: if there is a better recipee please let me know....

Here is the list of ingredients I use.:

1 pkg Active Dry Yeast
1 tsp Sugar
1 C Warm Water
1 Tb Kosher Salt
3 Tb Extra-virgin olive oil
3 C Flour, plus more for dusting

What kind of white flour do you use (AP or bread flour)?
How long do you knead your dough?
Do you use a stand mixer or knead by hand?

I let the kneaded dough rise until it's doubled in size, I don't go by time.

If the dough is too dry, you may need to add a little more water.

i use AP flour, i use a machine with a dough hook to mix and knead the dough, and i use shortening or vegetable oil.
is this ok , or should i change somthing?

I'd skip the shortening and substitute it for extra virgin olive oil. Try not to kneed too much or it will become too sticky.

should i follow andys recipe, i dont think 1 tsp of sugar and 1 tbsp of salt is right, but if im wrong please let me know. bacuase i thought that more sugar makes the dough rise more. and i wish it could be really elastic, please let me know dina. Thanks alot to both Andy and Dina...

I made it once or twice, but I let the K'Aid Stand Mixer do the kneading
because it saves me from all that backbreaking work.

Then after the first rising, back it goes into the mixer's bowl to be power-kneaded again. Then I form it into the crust for pizza.

~Corey123.

rocky2336 said:
should i follow andys recipe, i dont think 1 tsp of sugar and 1 tbsp of salt is right, but if im wrong please let me know. bacuase i thought that more sugar makes the dough rise more. and i wish it could be really elastic, please let me know dina. Thanks alot to both Andy and Dina...
Andy is right. I let mine rise overnight in the fridge - it makes a huge difference.

You need to cover your dough (damp towel or saran wrap) when you let it rise, otherwise it will develop a "skin" on the surface.

I totally agree with all the posts about letting the pizza dough rise over night---the dragon of fighting a dough that is stronger than you is vanquished before you even start to roll it out--------it really does relax the dough to where it's a *****cat to deal with--------WELL worth the wait and will last SEVERAL days in the fridge until you are ready. I also put my dough after it's been through the kneading cycle of the bread machine in a large ziploc bag and place it in the fridge---takes up less space I find and keeps the dough moist.

This I have to try!

I make pizza dough fairly often and in general it's a breeze -- really predictible, really straightforward. However! You put it perfectly when you talk of "fighting a dough that is stronger than you" because that's when it all gets frustrating instead of fun!

Love the ziploc idea. I gather that means you've never opened up the fridge and found a previously-small mound of dough taking over the entire fridge?!

After the dough rises and you deflate it before forming your

pizza crusts, let it rest for a few minutes more, covered. Every time you work the dough the gluten developes and you need to let it relax. After resting, and dividing if you are making more than 1 pizza, it should stretch out without a problem. About a 10 to 15 minute rest should do it.

Hey all,

I'm thinking that Andy's recipe has wwwwaaaay too much salt too, especially if you're using kosher salt. But, insofar as the yeast goes, I learned a long time ago that 1 packet of yeast equals 2 1/4 tsp, and that is the ratio that I use in all my yeast recipes, as I buy the yeast in bulk and keep it in the fridge. Also, I agree that EVOO should be subbed for the veg shortening. Make sure the water is the correct temperature, as it will have an effect on the yeast bubbling. Then, start w/ about 2 1/2c of flour, and add more as necessary. Like I learned from Emeril, believe it or not, you can always add but you cannot take away.
Hopefully this helps...
B.

2 1/4 tsp, 1/4 ounce, 7 grams. Three different ways to measure the same amount of yeast!

You could be right about the salt. I don't find the crust salty to my taste.

Ayrton,

I don't know what's happened to my posting on the pizza dough in the ziploc bag--can't seem to find it though I know that it was here a few hours ago-- but NO you will not have to worry about a I Love Lucy moment where the dough goes everywhich way but loose. Yes, it will expand maybe a third to half of the way but it won't overwhelm your fridge. All I can think is that I referred to the dragon becoming like a satiated cat if allowed to rest overnight in the fridge and when it was first posted without me even thinking about it I used the pet name for a cat using the "P" word with cat and the p word was bleeped out. No problem-- I was embarassed as I was not trying to be crude but using an ancient word but not surprised -- I had no intention of meaning anything else than a cat and I'm really surprised even with the word blocked out that the entire posting (maybe I'm wrong and it's somewhere else) has been blocked out. If so then it's stands that this is a very tightly monitored site which is a good thing in the long run. So there you go------hope that this works for you.

ok, now I'm going blind--really, I'm getting my eyes checked next week. I see my posting after all--apologies to the website. But despite the fact that I'm going blind---do take my word for it---refrigerating the pizza dough will really make the job so much easier.

expatgirl said:
ok, now I'm going blind--really, I'm getting my eyes checked next week. I see my posting after all--apologies to the website. But despite the fact that I'm going blind---do take my word for it---refrigerating the pizza dough will really make the job so much easier.
Must be one of the Site Helpers messing with you.:LOL:

I use a zip lock bag too and stick it in the fridge, or freezer - Great trick ,Expatgirl.:cool:

Might have been an Alzheimer's moment, too--ha, ha, and my computer glasses really DO need changing--OR, MJ, I feel less guilty using your reasoning---the site helpers were messing with me. Ha! Just kidding, site helpers, it's meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, myself, and I at fault. Getting back to refrigerated dough, I guess this is also why there are so many recipes for refrigerator rolls------it relaxes the gluten and they are pillowy to eat.

The real issue, answering your original question is the "shortening".
You are using a recipe more suited to biscuits or pie dough. Use vegeatble oil or olive oil... and it will not be as tough.

If you want an "official" recipe go to the Food network site and search for Sara Molton's easy pizza dough recipe...

OBTW the same recipe will make a great Foccica Bread.

Back
Top Bottom