Pizza Dough recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Debbie

Senior Cook
I have a request for homemade pizza .. so anybody got a real good recipe for a nice soft pizza dough, like you see in the pizza places? :chef: I have tried several recipes, and they just don't turn out nice and soft, or with a good flavor.

MJ's recipe is exactly like mine, except mine calls for another tsp salt. It's an excellent dough. You can stretch it out very thin, or leave it a little thicker, depending on what you like.
When my kids were little, I must have made a jillion pizzas. When they had friends over, I'd prepare the dough and the toppings, and let them decorate their own.

my oven does not go to 550 degrees though, and do you really have to preheat the oven for an hour before? has anybody cut this recipe in 1/2?

Debbie said:
my oven does not go to 550 degrees though, and do you really have to preheat the oven for an hour before? has anybody cut this recipe in 1/2?
500 is fine, and yes you can cut that recipe in half, or freeze the other half ...(check your PM's).:chef:

and.. that picture below Mj's name is making me sooooooo hungry! I guess I am gonna have to see if I can find a pizza stone in Canada somewheres! lol

The only reason I cook at and preheat my oven to 550* is because I use a pizza stone. When you slide your pizza onto a preheated stone, the moisture "escapes" from the crust, giving it that nice "crunch" when you cut it.

I never knew that about heating the pizza stone, MJ. That's a great tip. We had pizza tonight and I was telling Dave that I couldn't figure out why the crust doesnt get crispy. We'll try heating the stone next time!

I never knew about heating the stone up either - how long do you keep it in the oven before you put the pizza on?

Another pizza question, what type of mozzarella do you use - fresh or packaged? I recently made homemade pizza (I cheated and made my dough in the breadmaker). I made two pizzas, one with fresh mozzarella that I grated (that was interesting) and one with prepackaged mozzarella. Surprisingly enough, I liked the prepackaged one more. I love fresh mozzarella so I am wondering if I should not have grated it and sliced it instead, or maybe I did not have a good enough quality - it seemed very bland. Interested in everyones thoughts or comments.

OK, for Debbie...Safeway has pizza stones on sale for $9.99, near the deli where they sell those premade pizzas. Also Pampered Chef is a great source for pizza stones.

Michelemarie...I like the prepackaged stuff better too. Its all ready to go and it keeps in your freezer forever.

Good to know Alix. I have two round pizza stones from pampered chef, one I have had for loooonnnnngggg time - very seasoned - i loved them! although 9.99 is a nice price - I know pampered chef is more than that. I highly reccommend stones, though.

Me too. I discovered they don't fit in my BBQ last summer though. :rolleyes: Sigh.

The stones at Safeway are pretty basic, and only about 13 inches. Still, a great place to start.

Um...that is what I TRIED to do. It didn't fit. So I then put the pizza directly on the grill. BAD IDEA! My BBQ is not well regulated so my pizza was sadly scorched beyond recognition. I guess the idea is to put the pizza on the grill on one side that is turned off and leave the other side on to provide the heat. I figured that I would use my stone and leave both sides on. LOL. Lets just say that you should never do these things when you are in a hurry.

You made me laugh, thanks! Do you think it would of worked if your stone fit on the grill - now I am curious if my stone will fit - I am gonna have to check this out.

Yes I think it would have worked beautifully if my stone fit in there. However, I have a dinky little BBQ and a big *** stone. I say give it a go and let us know how it turns out.

Back
Top Bottom