Pizza Dough Stretching

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How do you stretch your pizza dough?

• Rolling pin

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Toss/Spin

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters

FrankZ

Site Team
Staff member
I am curious.

How do you stretch your pizza dough? Do you use a rolling pin, or do you toss and spin? Is there some other way?

I am a toss and spin kind of guy.

I let the dough rise and then dump it onto the pan easing it into the shape I want using my fingers to spread and guide it into place. I have found that if I punch it down and then try to shape it the dough will not relax easily for several minutes. I suppose I would have trouble relaxing if someone punched me! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I roll it, giving it a rest halfway, if needed. I may stretch it here and there to fill a round pan to the edge. I usually make a 16-inch pizza, and I think any attempt of mine to spin it out would end interestingly.

I don't make pizza. I would try what I saw on some TV show. The chef had the pizza dough in a ~10" disk (can't remember how it got round and flat). He made his hands into fists and gently stretched the dough, from underneath, with his fists.

I press it out a bit on the peal, then drape it over my knuckles and use the stretch and spin method with an occasional toss.

I don't make pizza. I would try what I saw on some TV show. The chef had the pizza dough in a ~10" disk (can't remember how it got round and flat). He made his hands into fists and gently stretched the dough, from underneath, with his fists.

That's the first step before you actually fling it high into the heavens... :)

I do both. I start it with a rolling pin, then finish it off by stretching and spinning. Too much spinning can make the centre too thin. So, I don't get too crazy with the centrifugal force.

I'm strictly a "no-spin" kinda gal (typing this as I watch Bill O'Reilly and his "no spin zone). I don't think I have the proper coordination for that technique! I dump it in the pan and use my fingers to push it into shape. When it mostly fills the pan I use a small roller to finish it off and make it all even.

Stretch n spin

It all starts with uniform, elastic dough. Lacking that, best to just lay it down and make it fit your pan/screen etc. But if made right, draping it over the knuckles under the outside edge, spread hands to stretch, move 4 inches over, stretch again--it really helps you fix a lopsided dough.
Then spin and toss--the centrifugal force will enlarge the dough evenly, with no tools/fingers to tear it. Especially useful when making a thin-crust dough.
Plus.. it looks way bitcheon-cool, AND keeps your ceiling tiles clean! :LOL:

I start with a ball of dough, flatten it with my hands and press it into a larger flatter circle with my fingers. Then I pick it up and grip an edge. I move around the edge with my hands allowing the weight of the dough to stretch the circle. That, in combination with using my fists to stretch the dough gets me to a 12"-14" circle of thin dough.

I don't toss pizza dough because I'm responsible for cleanup.

FrankZ said:
I am curious.

How do you stretch your pizza dough? Do you use a rolling pin, or do you toss and spin? Is there some other way?

I am a toss and spin kind of guy.

I worked at a "Mom and Pop" place one summer and I flipped burgers during the day and made pizzas later. I love to toss and spin. I am so glad that I learned how.
I guess I am a toss and spin kind of gal!

Much like Andy does until it's in a roundish shape. I tried a dodecahedron once, but failed.

Stretch, no rolling pin, maybe a bit of help from a bottle. (You can take that either way.) I've made pizza maybe a couple dozen times. I make it kind of like bread. Last time I punch it down and stretch it out with my fingers, then give it only a limited time to rise again before pre-baking (on a wire rack, I don't have a pizza stone), not so much time that it rises much. Then I add sauce, cheese and toppings and finish off in the oven. I'm sure I'll get a pizza stone one day soon. I enjoy home made pizza a lot more that commercial.

Last edited:
When I make my dough I let it rise in bulk in a bowl then split it to portion sizes and let it rise again.

I make a ridge around the edge and then press the center down. Start stretching over my knuckles then toss, over the knuckles again and toss. I will also slap it back and forth to stretch.

I place the skin onto the peel and build the pizza there.

Once the dough is ready after resting, I flatten it from the middle out. Once it starts to shrink back at me, I let it rest again. Pushing and pulling along with resting works for me. Takes longer, but I get a more gentle product. :chef:

do not toss or spin, I simply stretch by hand, but sometimes I do use a rolling pin. I think stratching produces better crust.

Back
Top Bottom