"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pizza & Focaccia

Old 08-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfranca
I cannot understand how you can have a Pizza season or flavor mix. Could some body please explain?
It could be any combination of ingredients that make what you put it on taste like pizza. Powdered tomato, oregano, garlic, cheese, etc. You could probably sprinkle it on popcorn, chips, and other stuff too, even pizza!

Old 08-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to zfranca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
It could be any combination of ingredients that make what you put it on taste like pizza. Powdered tomato, oregano, garlic, cheese, etc. You could probably sprinkle it on popcorn, chips, and other stuff too, even pizza!
It is a difficult concept to digest.
What creates a pizza flavor is what takes place during the baking of the pizza: the blending of the dough with the other ingredients. Also there are so many variable toppings. I simply cannot understand how you can create a flavoring for that.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:39 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfranca
It is a difficult concept to digest.
What creates a pizza flavor is what takes place during the baking of the pizza: the blending of the dough with the other ingredients. I simply cannot understand how you can create a flavoring for that.
Maybe this would help: Say you scrape the toppings and sauce off a pizza, leaving the crust, and dry them, then sprinkle the dried toppings/sauce over whatever you want to taste like pizza. I agree, it would certainly be no substitute for real pizza!
Old 08-16-2012, 09:38 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to zfranca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Maybe this would help: Say you scrape the toppings and sauce off a pizza, leaving the crust, and dry them, then sprinkle the dried toppings/sauce over whatever you want to taste like pizza. I agree, it would certainly be no substitute for real pizza!
I understand but since they are many options for pizza toppings I would presume that the pizza season mix comes in different flavors? The concept of ONE pizza flavoring does not make sense.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:26 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

If one was energetic enough, it might be good to take a basic pretzel recipe and add some of those flavorings to the recipe. I might try that, next time I have some energy I ain't using.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #16
Head Chef

Finally success, I purchased Pizza flavored seasoning from the spice barn
used Chopper's suggested recipe only with out the garlic powder and I put the preztel pcs in a bowl and added lil oil at a time till they were all coated. and hubbie likes the seasoning 2 tbl intstead of 1. I heated oven to 400 and put preztel on sheet pan put in oven and then turn oven off. works great. thanks chopper and everyone for your help.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfranca View Post
I cannot understand how you can have a Pizza season or flavor mix. Could some body please explain?

All pizzas have a basic flavor. Oregano is the main flavor in the sauce that is on the pizza. There are other herbs that are used. You are confusing personal toppings with the basic flavor of pizza. It all starts with the seasoning in the sauce that is the start of the pizza. Once you have the sauce on the dough, the rest is personal choice. Do you want cheese with that, pepperoni, sausage, onions, mushrooms etc? You can purchase those personal choices in powder form from any good spice company.

To recreate the flavor of the basic pizza you would need the oregano, thyme, garlic, etc. along with the flavors of your personal choices. Mix all those flavors together and sprinkle over the snack of your choice. Be it pretzels, pop corn, tostitos, etc.

The reason some folks choose Domino's over Papa John's or any other pizza place is the sauce. The sauce is what gives the pizza its flavor. What other flavors you want on the pizza is your personal choice.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:10 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

I would go with what Hoot said. A base pretzel recipe can easily be enhanced with garlic and oregano. Heck you can even stuff them with cheese and dip them in sauce!
Old 09-20-2012, 08:25 AM   #19
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfranca View Post
I used to be able to buy pizza flavoured potato chips. I think it was tomato powder, oregano, & maybe a bit of basil

Tags
pizza