Pizza : how to make cheese rubbery like chewing gum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ruleworld

Assistant Cook
I want to make the cheese rubbery so when u cut the pizza it streches like chewing gum. thanks for any help.

see the attached pic.

Attachments

• pizza-hut-pizza.jpg
    pizza-hut-pizza.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 1,178
lol, thats the opposite of the aim we always have. My guess is the answer is to use A LOT of mozzerella and to make sure its well cooked. The reason I say that is because my italian husband uses a small amount of chesse which is placed on the pizza with reverance just before the end of the cokking time. Mozzerella goes harder and more "rubbery" lol, when it is cooked.

lulu said:
lol, thats the opposite of the aim we always have. My guess is the answer is to use A LOT of mozzerella and to make sure its well cooked. The reason I say that is because my italian husband uses a small amount of chesse which is placed on the pizza with reverance just before the end of the cokking time. Mozzerella goes harder and more "rubbery" lol, when it is cooked.

whatever u and ur husband think.

um, "rubbery" is not a very appetizing expression:huh: however in order to achieve the effect you are looking for, yes, good pure mozzarella is the key. (I have seen some variations of shredded "pizza cheese mix", they just don't cut it.) Also in certain combination with other toppings (like speck and radicchio), smoked scamorza can be delicious and wonderfully stretchy.

At the pizza place I worked at in high school, many many beers ago, we would add in some muenster cheese to help achieve the "stringy" (as they called it) cheese.

John

stretchy cheese

I think that might be a particular type of cheese.
I would ask the home delivery pizza places which type of cheese they use.
Mel

I believe what you need is a good quality Wisconsin ( Go Packers) LMPS (Low moister part skim) mozzarella cheese. Go to a cheese cheese shop, not a grocery store and have them cut off a piece for you. Shred it yourself and don't skimp on the amount if you want it extra rubbery.

Good Luck,

JDP

Have you heard of "string cheese"? It comes in round sticks about 6" long, 6 or so to a package. My daughter buys it to make stuffed crust pizza...you know, the kind where they put cheese around the edges and roll the dough over it.
I'm not sure what kind of cheese it really is, but it definately "strings" when it melts.

Here's some more info about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_cheese

Last edited:
Mozzarella and Provalone are both nice and gooey when melted and still hot. Buy fresh and shred your own with a box grater or foodd processor.

i read somewhere a while back (cant remember the website) that what you are looking for is achieved by combining like three different cheeses all with stretching/melting properties.... had something to do with how the protein structure denatured and tangled itself with the other properties of the different cheeses.... so try mozzarella, provolone and fontina.... my preference for pizza is the simple truly italian versions of the margherita which is made with fresh fior di latte mozzarella and used sparingly, however

Last edited:
Why do you want ur cheese like that? I think it's just annoying, cause when you take a bite it stretches, taking all the other cheese, and toppings with it.

goboenomo said:
Why do you want ur cheese like that? I think it's just annoying, cause when you take a bite it stretches, taking all the other cheese, and toppings with it.

I find that all the cheese and toppings pulling off is usually a function of too much sauce, not the "stringy" or stretchy cheese. The long "strings" are possible only when the cheese holds to the crust while you pull a piece away from the rest of the pie.

And yes, having all that cheese slide off IS annoying! (But I don't think that's what anyone is after in this instance! :chef: )

John

Muenster was what they used at little caesars, my first job at the age of 15. I still appreciate that weird quality of their pizza, regardless of how poor the quality is. Its a cheaper cheese, and higher moisture than the 'low moisture' mozzarella that is typically used by pizza joints. The moisture in turn tends to sink down into the dough, leaving the mid-section of the pizza slightly undercooked.

Back
Top Bottom