Pizza on the grill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can actually throw the pizza right on the top of the grill, without the stone, yum. I wish I had a grill.

Okay, Janet you have inspired me.

I am making a chicken-bacon pizza on the grill for tonight's dinner. I had a bit of a practice run with some bread dough rounds about a week ago and they were a success. So I'm following your lead!

Here's my first attempt. I learned two things:
1. Take off the hanging rack before you preheat the grill
2. Make sure the peal is adequately covered with corm meal. ( Funny thing is I know this from making pizza in the oven on my stone.) :rolleyes:

Attachments

• OnTheGrill.jpg
    OnTheGrill.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 249
  • OnTheGrill_Closeup.jpg
    OnTheGrill_Closeup.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 245
  • OnTheTable.jpg
    OnTheTable.jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 264
Looks great! If you try again lemme know what time they'll be ready :)

While watching a PBS cooking show with MaryAnn Espisito she used a gas grill for pizza.
I had been moaning for years that my home oven just doesn't get hot enough and never thought of using the grill. I put a pizza stone in my gas grill and made one of the best pizza I have ever had. No more ovens for me.

After reading the posts here I like the idea of smoking some wood for added flavor.

We also like to do pizza on a stone on a grill. One thing to remember is put the stone on a cold grill so they warm up together otherwise the pizza stone can crack. Don't ask how I know. Here are a couple of pictures of being lazy and using a Papa Murphy's prepared pizza.

After heating the grill and stone to 550 temperature we throw on some corn meal.
img_1169101_0_03f0ae8e53cac5f714d24f6ddc9f4158.jpg

Next slide on the pizza using a peel.
img_1169101_1_fdab675d5647b38fc85ab7c4ca0be80d.jpg

Ready to eat in about 15 minutes.
img_1169101_2_547b556a330ac45f9dff584ffcee09ec.jpg

Grandson said yummy good.

Last edited:
A good gas barbecue grill can get a lot hotter than your typical oven. From what I've learned, mostly reading and a little bit of experimenting pizza benefits from a very hot oven.

I just bought 8 smooth house bricks and put them on the grill, after 40 mins at wood mark 8 they were very hot, the pizza took about 3 mins.
:)

I just use my cast largest cast iron pan over a solid bed of charcoal, with the lid on and all vents wide open. It works wonderfully, but limits me to an 11 inch pizza. Since there's only two of us, that works just fine. I still get all of that smokey goodness from intense heat.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

As Craig said, we precook our crusts. We actually cook both sides a little and then add toppings as it makes for a crispier crust. But, since we usually make 4, we precook 2 of them first, bring them inside and add the toppings. By the time the last 2 crusts are getting precooked by him, I've got the toppings on and the first 2 are ready to go back on the grill.

Yep.... just like this. My stone stays in my oven for baking breads. No need for pan or stone on the grill. Absolutely wonderful. I can make one larger pizza for the 2 of us, or individual sized for a group of 4 or 6 so they can be topped according to individual tastes. We actually had personal size pizzas in Italy one evening when we were invited to the home of a friend of a friend. He didn't use a grill - instead he had a wood fired pizza oven on his deck that cooked at about 650F.

We are having grilled pizza tomorrow. I can't wait. :chef:

That looks lovely :)

We are making pizza tonight and love cooking on our pizza stone

We also like to do pizza on a stone on a grill. One thing to remember is put the stone on a cold grill so they warm up together otherwise the pizza stone can crack. Don't ask how I know. Here are a couple of pictures of being lazy and using a Papa Murphy's prepared pizza.

After heating the grill and stone to 550 temperature we throw on some corn meal.
img_1186339_0_03f0ae8e53cac5f714d24f6ddc9f4158.jpg

Next slide on the pizza using a peel.
img_1186339_1_fdab675d5647b38fc85ab7c4ca0be80d.jpg

Ready to eat in about 15 minutes.
img_1186339_2_547b556a330ac45f9dff584ffcee09ec.jpg

Grandson said yummy good.

Has anyone tried:

The Pampered Chef, Ltd.

I have it on my wish list of things I "think" I want to acquire as I embark on my adventure of being a Pampered Chef consultant. The good, the bad, the ugly? What about the microwave chip maker? Again, I have that circled as s/thing I want!

The Pampered Chef, Ltd.

It looks like a great pan. But it says that I can't use it over charcoal. I don't use a gas grill. I only 'q over charcoal or wood. So this pan won't work for me. But my CI skillets will.:angel:

I seem to be in the minority in my family and the world. I prefer charcoal grilling to gas. I know you can use wood with the gas grill, but the folks I know can't seem to be bothered. Here we have a gas grill. Anyone can use it. But they never do unless someone is throwing an "End of Summer Party." Then there is the same person doing the cooking. He is a devout devotee' of the dreaded Italian Dressing marinade. YUK! I need to find someone who uses charcoal and become fast friends with them. I will even bring my own food. One of my favorite foods is pizza over charcoal. Entirely different flavor from a gas grill. :angel:

Last edited:
Addie said:
I seem to be in the minority in my family and the world. I prefer charcoal grilling to gas. I know you can use wood with the gas grill, but the folks I know can't seem to be bothered. Here we have a gas grill. Anyone can use it. But they never do unless someone is throwing an "End of Summer Party." Then there is the same person doing the cooking. He is a devout devotee' of the dreaded Italian Dressing marinade. YUK! I need to find someone who uses charcoal and become fast friends with them. I will even bring my own food. One of my favorite foods is pizza over charcoal. Entirely different flavor from a gas grill. :angel:

I like charcoal too, but the gas grill gets used almost every day here because you turn it on and it is ready in a flash!

It looks like a great pan. But it says that I can't use it over charcoal. I don't use a gas grill. I only 'q over charcoal or wood. So this pan won't work for me. But my CI skillets will.:angel:

I wonder what would happen to it if one used it over charcoal. Perhaps I'll contact customer service and ask. I'm in the process of seasoning a 10" CI griddle (flat). First I had to clean it...I'm on the fourth cycle of heating it...I'm thinking it might be the ticket for pizza on the grill...whether I use the propane one or the smoker with just charcoal...

I wonder what would happen to it if one used it over charcoal. Perhaps I'll contact customer service and ask. I'm in the process of seasoning a 10" CI griddle (flat). First I had to clean it...I'm on the fourth cycle of heating it...I'm thinking it might be the ticket for pizza on the grill...whether I use the propane one or the smoker with just charcoal...
Copied from link above.

Guidelines for Grilling Pizza

Charcoal - Not recommended
due to over charring bottom of the crust

Not recommended
since bottom of the crust cooks faster
than toppings

Last edited:
You know all that crud and crust that over the years forms on the outside of your ci frying pan? Well I read many moons ago that if you have a charcoal grill, when you are done BBQing, place your ci pan directly on top (not of the rack) of the remaing coals while they are dying out. Then while the pan is still hot and all the coals are now cold, scrape off all that crud and crust. The really hot heat of the coals will burn off most of it and the rest will be soft enough to scrape off easily. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom