"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pizza & Focaccia

Old 12-30-2009, 07:28 AM   #31
Executive Chef

Sounds like you got a nice stone. What are it's dimensions?

Old 12-30-2009, 07:33 AM   #32
Senior Cook

It's the rectangular 14x16 old stone oven baking stone.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:27 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I use parchment when cooking pizza on a stone, but do it a bit differently.

I build the pizza on the parchment and slide the pizza on the peel using the parchment. I put it on the preheated stone (as high as my oven will go 550 degrees) parchment and all, after 1 minute I slide out the parchment so that the stone can do its work. After a minute or so the parchment slides out very easily, I just use the peel to hold the pizza in place while I slide out the parchment.

This would be a great way for beginners to make pizza on a stone with a peel. You don't want to leave the parchment in there too long at that temperature because it will burn.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:30 PM   #34
Chief Eating Officer

bakechef, if I understand your process correctly, you put parchment on the peel, build the pizza on that, slide the pizza still on the parchment onto the stone, then after a minute remove the parchment. I guess my question is what is the purpose of even using the parchment? You could do the exact same thing with the same end results just skipping the parchment step.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:18 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
bakechef, if I understand your process correctly, you put parchment on the peel, build the pizza on that, slide the pizza still on the parchment onto the stone, then after a minute remove the parchment. I guess my question is what is the purpose of even using the parchment? You could do the exact same thing with the same end results just skipping the parchment step.
Well the parchment makes it a bit less messy for me. I guarantees that the dough won't stick to the peel, making it easier to offload the pizza on to the stone. You can also make a second pizza on parchment and let it set on the counter, which frees up your peel for the pizza that is baking.

This is a good method for beginners or someone who has trouble with the dough sticking to the peel. If I am out of parchment, I will just dust the peel liberally with flour, and give it a jiggle while assembling.

Also if I have more than one loaf of bread to bake on my stone, it is easier to have each loaf on its own piece of parchment ready to slide on the peel.

I have had a lot less pizza toppings end up on the floor of my oven with this method!
Old 12-30-2009, 05:55 PM   #36
Cook

Wow I am glad you asked this. When I bought my stone someone had taken the manual so I never even knew. I wash mine all the time and use it but never before its dried I guess. Not on purpose just happened to work out that way.

'Beauty without grace is the hook without the bait.' - Ralph Waldo Emerson
x7anooonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:41 PM   #37
Senior Cook

I won't be needing the parchment paper for pizza anymore. Fedex dropped off my pizza peel this morning. I'm really glad cause I burned myself taking out the pizza from the oven the other day.