Pizza stone first use...WASH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Julio

Senior Cook
Hello,

In a few hours I will be receiving my old stone oven baking stone from amazon. I was doing some searches and I found the manual for the stone. It says that I should wash the stone before first used. I was wondering if i wash the stone how many days do I have to wait until I can use it so that it does not crack or break because of moisture? I read online that if you wash the stone it would absorbe water in it and it may crack or break in the oven.

Does manual say how to wash? EG with baking soda?
If manual does not talk about drying. I'd dry with paper towels, place on middle rack of oven; set oven to 125 F (warm) and bake for 4 or 5 hours.

Just wash real quick and try not to hold it under the water for long. Do NOT use soap. Give it a quick rinse and then let it dry for a day or so. justplainbill's ideaabout putting it in a very low oven is a great idea too.

Also think of the stone like a sponge. It will absorb anything it comes in contact with. So no soap ever! If you have roomates or a spouse threaten them with bad things if they ever wash it with soap.

Thanks Everyone!

GB a day is too long to wait I want to use it later tonight.

I'll pass a wet sponge and let air dry then preheat it in the oven for a bit.

Seems that the old manual that I read online is old. The one that I have now says to rinse the stone well under water then dry well with paper towels.

I was just saying a day to be safe. Realistically, as long as you do not let it soak then you can pass the stone under the faucet and dry it with a towel and use it right away. It is not an issue if the surface is wet. It only becomes an issue if the water soaks in.

I've also heard that it's good to first cook something really greasy on it, like biscuits from the can. That will help stuff not stick to it the first time.

cornmeal under the crust works well to help with the sticking issue

cornmeal under the crust works well to help with the sticking issue

Yeah, I do that every time I make pizza. I have 2 stones, and one had never been used. So I sprayed w/ PAM and baked it for a bit. I still had pizza crust sticking, even to my old "experienced" stone. I think there was a problem with my crust, or maybe too much sauce. I used a LOT of sauce that time.

Greasing a pizza stone isn't the same thing as seasoning steel or iron. Grease or Pam will do nothing but perhaps, ruin your stone. In part, the stone wicks away moisture as well as apply heat, and it can't wick away moisture if the holes are clogged by oil. Do you see commercail Pizzerias oiling their ovens? I don't think so. They keep their stones as clean as possible.

The best way to keep food from sticking to your stone is to keep the food that touches it very dry. The cornmeal that Wyogal mentioned is the best way if your crust is somewhat damp (soft).

I don't use cornmeal on my pizza crust recipe, but I do preheat the stone to 500 degrees for 30 minutes before I use it. And then, when the pizza is ready to come out of the oven, I use a wooden pizza peel and a pair of long handled tongs. I lift the edge of the pizza with the tongs, and while still holding onto it, I slide the peel under the pizza and take it out.

I have found that the direct contact with the stone, instead of a layer of cornmeal, I get better crunch to my crust.

Good luck!

Greasing a pizza stone isn't the same thing as seasoning steel or iron. Grease or Pam will do nothing but perhaps, ruin your stone. In part, the stone wicks away moisture as well as apply heat, and it can't wick away moisture if the holes are clogged by oil. Do you see commercail Pizzerias oiling their ovens? I don't think so. They keep their stones as clean as possible.

The best way to keep food from sticking to your stone is to keep the food that touches it very dry. The cornmeal that Wyogal mentioned is the best way if your crust is somewhat damp (soft).

I don't use cornmeal on my pizza crust recipe, but I do preheat the stone to 500 degrees for 30 minutes before I use it. And then, when the pizza is ready to come out of the oven, I use a wooden pizza peel and a pair of long handled tongs. I lift the edge of the pizza with the tongs, and while still holding onto it, I slide the peel under the pizza and take it out.

I have found that the direct contact with the stone, instead of a layer of cornmeal, I get better crunch to my crust.

Good luck!

I've never watched a commercial pizzeria, so I wouldn't know. I was going off information from the Pampered Chef (that is the brand of my older stone) distributor.

If you preheat the stone, how do you press the dough out onto a 500 degree stone without burning yourself?

I don't. I press the dough out on my work surface; transfer it to a well dusted peel (flour or cornmeal), dress it with sauce and toppings (quickly) shake it a few times to make certain it's not sticking, and then, over the hot stone, gently but quickly with a few small shakes, slide the pizza onto the stone. The stone must be hot in order to work properly. New York Pizzarias heat their stones to over 800 degrees before using them.

I should explain... The pizza stone is not like a pizza baking pan. The stone represents the function of a stone hearth in a very hot oven.

Pizza pans are cold when used to prepare a pizza, and travel with it into and out of the oven. A pizza stone stays in the oven and is a hot surface upon which breads are baked.

I don't. I press the dough out on my work surface; transfer it to a well dusted peel (flour or cornmeal), dress it with sauce and toppings (quickly) shake it a few times to make certain it's not sticking, and then, over the hot stone, gently but quickly with a few small shakes, slide the pizza onto the stone. The stone must be hot in order to work properly. New York Pizzarias heat their stones to over 800 degrees before using them.

I thought you said you didn't use cornmeal in your crust recipe.

Have used Pampered Chef stoneware for years. (my wife was a rep), they suggest coat with a vegetable oil spray and/or bake high-fat foods for the first time. The absolute JOY of stoneware is it cleans up with WATER and a scraper. NOTE: the stoneware gets as hot as whatever you're baking, so don't worry about any contamination. Never get near soap!

I don't. I use flour. Many people do use cornmeal and I was just including it in the example because it is a very common item to use, and does make the dough easier to slide.

I don't. I use flour. Many people do use cornmeal and I was just including it in the example because it is a very common item to use, and does make the dough easier to slide.

Ok, I will have to look into getting a peel. I would think the metal peel would be easier to slide under the raw dough since it is thinner. Why is wood better?

It's not. It's just a matter of personal preference. I like more tradition things, but that's me. When not in use, I hang it on the wall and it adds a more homey feeling to my kitchen.

Metal is just fine too, and yes, probably easier to use, but I've never used a metal one so I couldn't say.

It's not. It's just a matter of personal preference. I like more tradition things, but that's me. When not in use, I hang it on the wall and it adds a more homey feeling to my kitchen.

Metal is just fine too, and yes, probably easier to use, but I've never used a metal one so I couldn't say.

Good to know, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom