Pizza survey - Thin crust, or thick crust?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very thin crust. Nothing like a cracker, but not soft. Minimal sauce, a thin paint of tomato paste, oil and garlic. Mushrooms on provolone with chunks of brie.

I'll have to go with thin crust.
Not cracker thin but I don't want a lot of bread.
For me it's about the topping but I do want the crust to have a yeasty flavor and that nice char with a nice amount of those lovely bubbles. :yum:

Just a fun survey i wanted to do, when it comes to pizza, do you prefer a thin NY style type crust, or a thick Sicilian or maybe Chicago type crust? Lets all be respectful of each others choices and not bash others for their choice as no answer is right or wrong on this.. its all due to someones culture and taste preferences :) That said, i grew up in NY, so my answer to this- Thin crust
Being a Brit I don't have knowledge of the named varieties in the OP but I prefer a medium thickness crust ands lots and lots of toppings. I buy jars of antipasti - roast aubergines/egg plant, sundried tomatoes in oil, baby artichokes, etc., and I use black olives because I love them. Tomato puree/paste and "good" mozzarella as well. I expect a real pizza-holic would say mine's a bit of a dustbin pizza but I like it and so do my guests.

I do thin and crisp most of the time, especially for a veggie pizza (I like it fairly simple with mushrooms, onions, green pepper and tomatoes, plus sauce and cheese).

However, sometimes a good chewy crust just hits the spot, especially for a pizza heavy with sausage or pepperoni. I like to add some Italian herbs to the dough when I make my crust, and that makes it eat well all by itself. :chef:

I love real New York pizza, as in the kind you get in NYC.

That's hard to find outside of NY.

Since my family is from Chicago I love a real deep dish pizza, Chicago-style.

I even like Greek style pizza!!

The only pizza I won't eat is the chain restaurant kind like papa whatever's. Luckily there are mom and pop places everywhere in my neighborhood

Jenny do you remember the pizza I served at the party? That was from the restaurant that the Phantom Gourmet is always raving about and makes it #1 in New England. It is located right here in Eastie. Santarpios's. It is the only pizza my family will eat. The crust is really, really thin, crispy and usually has a slight burn on the bottom. Always has a light layer of corn meal also. They only make one size. Large. And the toppings are limited. We just get pepperoni and mushrooms.

But what some of the customers consider the part that is given a thumbs down is that it is located in a very old barroom that has been there for eons. The grandfather started it. The place is beyond dirty and greasy, stinks to high heaven. Nothing like sitting on split plastic leather having a beer with a piece of pizza. An Eastie tradition. But they still go there for the pizza. In the summer the line is outside the door and down the block. We always call for a pizza and even then in the summer the wait for pickup is an hour. :angel:

I like both, too. It all depends on what toppings I prefer. If I'm getting a Margherita Pizza, it HAS to be thin crust.

We have a great place by us called Corky's that has a traditional brick pizza oven and every pizza there is amazing. Most are on thin crust and they get nice and crispy when it bubbles up and that is just to die for.

Jenny do you remember the pizza I served at the party? That was from the restaurant that the Phantom Gourmet is always raving about and makes it #1 in New England. It is located right here in Eastie. Santarpios's. It is the only pizza my family will eat. The crust is really, really thin, crispy and usually has a slight burn on the bottom. Always has a light layer of corn meal also. They only make one size. Large. And the toppings are limited. We just get pepperoni and mushrooms.

But what some of the customers consider the part that is given a thumbs down is that it is located in a very old barroom that has been there for eons. The grandfather started it. The place is beyond dirty and greasy, stinks to high heaven. Nothing like sitting on split plastic leather having a beer with a piece of pizza. An Eastie tradition. But they still go there for the pizza. In the summer the line is outside the door and down the block. We always call for a pizza and even then in the summer the wait for pickup is an hour. :angel:

So.... no "30 minutes or it's free" deal??? What's up with that? ;)

My favorite is a classic New York style thin crust. I can appreciate a good deep dish a la Detroit or Chicago (they're very different). I even like a flatbread pizza or one on naan bread.

What I don't like and won't eat is that mid-thickness bready stuff that's overloaded with too many toppings. All those caesars, dominoes, papas, huts, etc are just bad.

img_1415344_0_9b15b21c7d9f38528ba89e3397e5ba67.jpg

Thin crust here in the USA. Then there is really thin crust, almost cracker thin, that I had in Antibes, France.
I used to live 1/2 mile from Antibes. Always thin crust.
I make thin crust using 1/4 high gluten flour to 3/4 all purpose flour. Onto hot pizza stone (I have a layer of 'fire bricks' that live permanently on a oven rack) until big air bubbles form. Remove and push the bubbles flat. Turn crust over. Back into oven till just barely browning. Out of oven. Onto counter. Brush on a coating of best OO. Then a thin layer of grated mozza cheese. Then anything you want.
The OO on the crust then the cheese makes for a pizza that doesn't have the toppings sliding off. The biggest mistake home cooks make and even some pizza businesses make is putting tomato sauce directly on the crust. This pretty much guarantees the toppings will slide off.
Learned this from the owner of a pizza shop near Antibes.
Pre baking the crusts is handy when having a 'pizza party'. All the crusts are pre made. Lots of toppings are set out in bowls. The guests can 'build' their own pizzas this way.
The only thing I recommend is that OO topping brushed on the crust first then some grated mozza. The OO acts as a 'glue' that sticks to the crust and the cheese.
I should add that when the custom built pizzas go in the oven the oven temp is turned down to about 375 F. This way the pizza toppings get a longer time to melt while the bottom of the crust doesn't get too overcooked.
Crispy thin crusts. Topping that don't want to slide off.

Last edited:
Not too thin and not to thick (I like to sit on the fence). I had a horrid very thin crust pizza in a chain pizza joint over here which was like a cream cracker so I'm careful now.

This thread is making me crave pizza. I might make the dough before I go to bed so it'll be ready to bake tomorrow. My kitchen is ~c~o~l~d~ (that's supposed to be shivers) so dough takes it's time to rise, which is a good thing, I think.

I like lots of toppings. Not ham and pineapple and oddities like that though. I prefer Italian vegetable antipasto goodies in jars and good mozzarella

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom