"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pizza & Focaccia

Old 03-28-2015, 02:24 PM   #41
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Not too thin and not to thick (I like to sit on the fence)...
I find it more comfortable to eat my pizza at a table. Fences are uncomfortable and I have balance issues.

Old 03-28-2015, 02:33 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I find it more comfortable to eat my pizza at a table. Fences are uncomfortable and I have balance issues.

Old 03-28-2015, 02:46 PM   #43
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Old 03-28-2015, 04:14 PM   #44
Head Chef

Quote:
Not too thin and not to thick (I like to sit on the fence). I had a horrid very thin crust pizza in a chain pizza joint over here which was like a cream cracker so I'm careful now.

This thread is making me crave pizza. I might make the dough before I go to bed so it'll be ready to bake tomorrow. My kitchen is ~c~o~l~d~ (that's supposed to be shivers) so dough takes it's time to rise, which is a good thing, I think.

I like lots of toppings. Not ham and pineapple and oddities like that though. I prefer Italian vegetable antipasto goodies in jars and good mozzarella
I tend to agree. Pizza crust should not be like a soda cracker. It can be crisp and still retain some "chew" as well.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:58 AM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

I watched a show today of a pizza place that was doing a decorating overhaul. It is here in Mass. So we looked it up on line. We looked at their menu. They have one pizza with BBQ sauce and meats of your choice. They also had some crazy cheeses for it that I have never heard of. Sure. Doesn't everyone want BBQ sauce on their pizza?
Old 03-29-2015, 02:55 AM   #46
Master Chef

Addie, there are people who like grilled onions and BBQ chicken on pizza. Not I, but I do like one back-home place that made a ham/pineapple/almond/cinnamon version that was so much better than it sounds. You can't judge taste by the menu.

RP, I like fence-sitter crust too. I don't like thin because it either breaks up, or flops, which has to be fixed by folding it over.

Quote:
...This thread is making me crave pizza. I might make the dough before I go to bed so it'll be ready to bake tomorrow. My kitchen is ~c~o~l~d~ (that's supposed to be shivers) so dough takes it's time to rise, which is a good thing, I think...
Your post made me think of an image I saw making the rounds today:

Old 03-29-2015, 07:48 AM   #47
Sous Chef

A place I go for lunch occasionally has a Captain Morgan barbecued shrimp flatbread pizza. I absolutely love it.

Normally, I'm a traditionalist when it comes to pizza, but I sure love it when I step out of the box and find something different.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:52 AM   #48
Master Chef

I like thick-crust pizza, with the crust bread-like and yeast, and topped with a rich and spice tomato sauce, lots of sauce, and all the regular fixin's common to a U.S. pizza, not pineapple though.

That being said, there is a place that used to be called Kings Pizza, in my home town, that makes a crust that is not thick, but that is not thin either. They make the pizza (and it's truly gourmet pizza), then fold it in half and roll the edges in, like a pastie. They then brush it with something to make it shine, probably either milk or egg wash, then bake it until it's golden brown. It of course is called a pizza pastie, and is one of the great culinary triumphs of our time. The place changed hands and is now called Upper Crust Pizza. It's pricey, but oh so worth it every once in a while.

But I say again, if it's not a pizza pastie, then I want a thick, yeasty, chewy-soft crust. What can I say, I'm a Yooper.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:06 AM   #49
Master Chef

had the chance to go to Uno's in Chicago. The line was around the building and down the block. We got personal pizzas for everyone. I'd heard such great things about their pizza. Sadly, it wasn't for me. I am not fond of chemically leavend crust, i.e. backing soda/baking powder. I love a yeast crust.

Good thing there are so many people that have different tastes than mine. Uno's would go out of business if I was the only patron. That being said, they must be doing something right. As I said, the line was long, like on an aircraft carrier and supper time.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:53 AM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I hear ya, Chief. Many years ago, my cousin who lives in the Chicago area took me to a "famous" deep dish pizza place. We waited in line for at least an hour. The end result was "meh" at best.

Tags
crust, pizza