"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pizza & Focaccia

Old 03-29-2015, 11:03 AM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I usually like the thin crust that most Montreal pizzerias serve. I'm not overly fond of the crust, so I don't eat the edge that is naked. There is a wonderful, gourmet pizzeria downtown called Il Focolaio. They only serve individual pizza, out of their wood burning oven. Their crust is quite thin, but absolutely lovely. Neither too crisp nor too floppy. The menu is extensive, so you can have something unusual or something more like what a North American expects to find on a pizza.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:40 PM   #52
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I like thick-crust pizza, with the crust bread-like and yeast, and topped with a rich and spice tomato sauce, lots of sauce, and all the regular fixin's common to a U.S. pizza, not pineapple though.

That being said, there is a place that used to be called Kings Pizza, in my home town, that makes a crust that is not thick, but that is not thin either. They make the pizza (and it's truly gourmet pizza), then fold it in half and roll the edges in, like a pastie. They then brush it with something to make it shine, probably either milk or egg wash, then bake it until it's golden brown. It of course is called a pizza pastie, and is one of the great culinary triumphs of our time. The place changed hands and is now called Upper Crust Pizza. It's pricey, but oh so worth it every once in a while.

But I say again, if it's not a pizza pastie, then I want a thick, yeasty, chewy-soft crust. What can I say, I'm a Yooper.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Sounds like it's basically a calzone.

Old 03-29-2015, 07:15 PM   #53
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Sounds like it's basically a calzone.
The calzones that I've had have no sauce. Also, with a pizza pastie, you get that pastie handle. If you're making it at home, you can roll the dough for the handle around something yummy, like a little rod of string cheese, or whatever you want. It's just more festive, and the sauce makes it sooooo good. Whatever it is, the pizza pasties I've had are better than the calzones I've had. Maybe I just haven't had a calzone at the right place.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:57 PM   #54
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
The calzones that I've had have no sauce. Also, with a pizza pastie, you get that pastie handle. If you're making it at home, you can roll the dough for the handle around something yummy, like a little rod of string cheese, or whatever you want. It's just more festive, and the sauce makes it sooooo good. Whatever it is, the pizza pasties I've had are better than the calzones I've had. Maybe I just haven't had a calzone at the right place.

Chief: Scroll down the page to Calzones and see how we make them in Colorado. Beau Jo's Colorado Style Pizza Beau Jo's has a lot of good food.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:54 AM   #55
Executive Chef

I like both thick and thin. It depends on what type of ingredients and how many I want to use. Lately, I have been on a thick crust kick. I got a cast iron pizza pan a while back and I am loving the crusts it produces. The pizza takes a lot longer to cook, but the results are great...I use a bit of corn meal when rolling. Crispy outside, moist and chewy inside.....heading into the city today..I'll grab some capicolla and start from there....thanks for the inspiration....
Old 03-30-2015, 07:43 AM   #56
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Chief: Scroll down the page to Calzones and see how we make them in Colorado. Beau Jo's Colorado Style Pizza Beau Jo's has a lot of good food.
Man, I wish we had a Beau Jo's here. Looks like an excellent place. And yep, that looks like a pizza pastie.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 03-30-2015, 05:40 PM   #57
Assistant Cook

Thin crust, however, a really good sicilian can be quite special if done right. I use to live in Brooklyn in the same building as Di Faras which is considered by many New Yorkers as the best pizza in the country. It's an amazing thin crust slice, but whenever I go back to visit, my first stop is a sicilian thick crust (not deep dish) square at L&B, with cheese on the bottom and sauce on the top. The sauce is so perfect, I once paid the guy $20 for a cup of it and drank it : P Chicago pizza is a little overhyped if you ask me.

By the way, can anyone tell me how to setup a profile pic on my profile?

Old 03-30-2015, 07:53 PM   #58
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidermanos View Post
Thin crust, however, a really good sicilian can be quite special if done right. I use to live in Brooklyn in the same building as Di Faras which is considered by many New Yorkers as the best pizza in the country. It's an amazing thin crust slice, but whenever I go back to visit, my first stop is a sicilian thick crust (not deep dish) square at L&B, with cheese on the bottom and sauce on the top. The sauce is so perfect, I once paid the guy $20 for a cup of it and drank it : P Chicago pizza is a little overhyped if you ask me.

Oh be still my heat. Just watch that first bite. Many are the times when I've burnt that part of the hard palate, just behind and above the two front teeth due to impatience. Haven't done that in a while, thank goodness. That pizza looks fabulous. I can taste it in my mind, and it tastes soooo good.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Old 03-30-2015, 09:53 PM   #59
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums - FAQ: User Profile Features

Hope this helps, I am horrible with directions.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:12 PM   #60
Master Chef

Quote:

Welcome to DC, Bidermanos. OMGosh, does that pizza ever look good!

Tags
crust, pizza