Pizza survey - Thin crust, or thick crust?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not too thin and not to thick (I like to sit on the fence). I had a horrid very thin crust pizza in a chain pizza joint over here which was like a cream cracker so I'm careful now.

This thread is making me crave pizza. I might make the dough before I go to bed so it'll be ready to bake tomorrow. My kitchen is ~c~o~l~d~ (that's supposed to be shivers) so dough takes it's time to rise, which is a good thing, I think.

I like lots of toppings. Not ham and pineapple and oddities like that though. I prefer Italian vegetable antipasto goodies in jars and good mozzarella

I tend to agree. Pizza crust should not be like a soda cracker. It can be crisp and still retain some "chew" as well.

I watched a show today of a pizza place that was doing a decorating overhaul. It is here in Mass. So we looked it up on line. We looked at their menu. They have one pizza with BBQ sauce and meats of your choice. They also had some crazy cheeses for it that I have never heard of. :wacko: Sure. Doesn't everyone want BBQ sauce on their pizza? :angel:

Addie, there are people who like grilled onions and BBQ chicken on pizza. Not I, but I do like one back-home place that made a ham/pineapple/almond/cinnamon version that was so much better than it sounds. :yum: You can't judge taste by the menu.

RP, I like fence-sitter crust too. I don't like thin because it either breaks up, or flops, which has to be fixed by folding it over.

...This thread is making me crave pizza. I might make the dough before I go to bed so it'll be ready to bake tomorrow. My kitchen is ~c~o~l~d~ (that's supposed to be shivers) so dough takes it's time to rise, which is a good thing, I think...
Your post made me think of an image I saw making the rounds today:

B9uv3cPCIAMlvsD.jpg:large

A place I go for lunch occasionally has a Captain Morgan barbecued shrimp flatbread pizza. I absolutely love it.

Normally, I'm a traditionalist when it comes to pizza, but I sure love it when I step out of the box and find something different.

I like thick-crust pizza, with the crust bread-like and yeast, and topped with a rich and spice tomato sauce, lots of sauce, and all the regular fixin's common to a U.S. pizza, not pineapple though.

That being said, there is a place that used to be called Kings Pizza, in my home town, that makes a crust that is not thick, but that is not thin either. They make the pizza (and it's truly gourmet pizza), then fold it in half and roll the edges in, like a pastie. They then brush it with something to make it shine, probably either milk or egg wash, then bake it until it's golden brown. It of course is called a pizza pastie, and is one of the great culinary triumphs of our time. The place changed hands and is now called Upper Crust Pizza. It's pricey, but oh so worth it every once in a while.

But I say again, if it's not a pizza pastie, then I want a thick, yeasty, chewy-soft crust. What can I say, I'm a Yooper.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

had the chance to go to Uno's in Chicago. The line was around the building and down the block. We got personal pizzas for everyone. I'd heard such great things about their pizza. Sadly, it wasn't for me. I am not fond of chemically leavend crust, i.e. backing soda/baking powder. I love a yeast crust.

Good thing there are so many people that have different tastes than mine. Uno's would go out of business if I was the only patron:LOL:. That being said, they must be doing something right. As I said, the line was long, like on an aircraft carrier and supper time.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I hear ya, Chief. Many years ago, my cousin who lives in the Chicago area took me to a "famous" deep dish pizza place. We waited in line for at least an hour. The end result was "meh" at best.

I usually like the thin crust that most Montreal pizzerias serve. I'm not overly fond of the crust, so I don't eat the edge that is naked. There is a wonderful, gourmet pizzeria downtown called Il Focolaio. They only serve individual pizza, out of their wood burning oven. Their crust is quite thin, but absolutely lovely. Neither too crisp nor too floppy. The menu is extensive, so you can have something unusual or something more like what a North American expects to find on a pizza.

I like thick-crust pizza, with the crust bread-like and yeast, and topped with a rich and spice tomato sauce, lots of sauce, and all the regular fixin's common to a U.S. pizza, not pineapple though.

That being said, there is a place that used to be called Kings Pizza, in my home town, that makes a crust that is not thick, but that is not thin either. They make the pizza (and it's truly gourmet pizza), then fold it in half and roll the edges in, like a pastie. They then brush it with something to make it shine, probably either milk or egg wash, then bake it until it's golden brown. It of course is called a pizza pastie, and is one of the great culinary triumphs of our time. The place changed hands and is now called Upper Crust Pizza. It's pricey, but oh so worth it every once in a while.

But I say again, if it's not a pizza pastie, then I want a thick, yeasty, chewy-soft crust. What can I say, I'm a Yooper.

Sounds like it's basically a calzone.

Sounds like it's basically a calzone.

The calzones that I've had have no sauce. Also, with a pizza pastie, you get that pastie handle. If you're making it at home, you can roll the dough for the handle around something yummy, like a little rod of string cheese, or whatever you want. It's just more festive, and the sauce makes it sooooo good. Whatever it is, the pizza pasties I've had are better than the calzones I've had. Maybe I just haven't had a calzone at the right place.

The calzones that I've had have no sauce. Also, with a pizza pastie, you get that pastie handle. If you're making it at home, you can roll the dough for the handle around something yummy, like a little rod of string cheese, or whatever you want. It's just more festive, and the sauce makes it sooooo good. Whatever it is, the pizza pasties I've had are better than the calzones I've had. Maybe I just haven't had a calzone at the right place.

Chief: Scroll down the page to Calzones and see how we make them in Colorado. Beau Jo's Colorado Style Pizza Beau Jo's has a lot of good food.

I like both thick and thin. It depends on what type of ingredients and how many I want to use. Lately, I have been on a thick crust kick. I got a cast iron pizza pan a while back and I am loving the crusts it produces. The pizza takes a lot longer to cook, but the results are great...I use a bit of corn meal when rolling. Crispy outside, moist and chewy inside.....heading into the city today..I'll grab some capicolla and start from there....thanks for the inspiration....

Last edited:
Thin crust, however, a really good sicilian can be quite special if done right. I use to live in Brooklyn in the same building as Di Faras which is considered by many New Yorkers as the best pizza in the country. It's an amazing thin crust slice, but whenever I go back to visit, my first stop is a sicilian thick crust (not deep dish) square at L&B, with cheese on the bottom and sauce on the top. The sauce is so perfect, I once paid the guy $20 for a cup of it and drank it : P Chicago pizza is a little overhyped if you ask me.

By the way, can anyone tell me how to setup a profile pic on my profile?

19140.jpg

Thin crust, however, a really good sicilian can be quite special if done right. I use to live in Brooklyn in the same building as Di Faras which is considered by many New Yorkers as the best pizza in the country. It's an amazing thin crust slice, but whenever I go back to visit, my first stop is a sicilian thick crust (not deep dish) square at L&B, with cheese on the bottom and sauce on the top. The sauce is so perfect, I once paid the guy $20 for a cup of it and drank it : P Chicago pizza is a little overhyped if you ask me.

19140.jpg

Oh be still my heat.:yum: Just watch that first bite. Many are the times when I've burnt that part of the hard palate, just behind and above the two front teeth due to impatience:(. Haven't done that in a while, thank goodness. That pizza looks fabulous. I can taste it in my mind, and it tastes soooo good.:LOL:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

19140.jpg

Welcome to DC, Bidermanos. :flowers: OMGosh, does that pizza ever look good!

Back
Top Bottom